The "N" word...

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Christopher Mullin, Mar 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I would not look that far back for answers. The views back then would be shaped by what was known, and it was perfectly reasonable to think that if they looked different than us they were. Evolution had just been figured out and there was no understanding of genetics. As a man of science, I would have likely followed Darwinian logic that we lived in Europe, they lived in Africa, divergent evolution would happen (which it did slightly but we would have no idea how long ago it was at the time,) and since we created an advanced civilization and they didn’t, we must have evolved more intelligence. It wasn’t until we actually could look at our DNA and discovered that we only seperated a few thousand years ago that we determined that our brains are exactly the same and much longer for that to be accepted by society as a whole.

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

A quibble: The assertion that "they didn't" is definitely not an un-controversial assertion. Not that my quibble is much relevant in this specific discussion, since you're talking about beliefs, true or false, and I'm sure that was the belief.

3. John Grant

John Grant Member

You can probably find other racist words to supplement it with. I'm concerned that the overuse of the "N" word may desensitize the reader to it. It's the law of diminishing returns.

4. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I was making an assumption about what I would know if I lived in 1860 NYC. I’d probably have heard of the Egyptians, but most of my history would have been of Rome and what came after. I would likely have had the belief that most Africans lived in primitive tribes, which I would have likely considered lesser than our western system.