The names I come up with...and the terrible characters >.>

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by MaKiiMoee, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Rafiki

Rafiki Active Member

Huh. What did you say about my name? "It's a feminine, weak name for a guy" the Josh in your story became "the most wimpy, bitter, annoying, ungrateful character".

Your words hurt Mckk. I knew we weren't friends but I never knew I had an enemy.

2. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Well my favourite singer's called Josh and he's not annoying or feminine and rather cute!

Hey, at least you have a name that the rest of the world loves. I have a name no one has ever understood, nor can they spell or pronounce.... I had to resign myself to having all my friends mispronounce my name nearly all the time.

Ok I don't wanna end up offending a whole world of Joshes so I'm gonna go up and edit that post if it's still possible!

3. Rafiki

Rafiki Active Member

Relax, I'm not offended, though I would like it if we were both on even ground. Why don't you tell me (and the rest of the internet) your name so that we can all be on even footing.

4. Mckk

Well I have an English name and a Chinese name, and a Chinese maiden name and a Czech surname (that I have yet to put into my passport). I'm sure you can see now why there's always someone who can't pronounce my name :D

I'll give you my maiden name, since that was the main name I was referring to and it's common enough in the far east that it'd be hard to track me. It's Ng, pronounced, literally, "Nm". When people ask me for my surname, most don't realise I've just answered them by saying "Nmm" and they repeat their question. I've got used to it, I just laugh about it nowadays :D I gave up correcting people after about 2 years!

I'm glad you're not actually offended!

5. Rafiki

Rafiki Active Member

It's a pleasure to meet you Ng.

6. Mckk

hahahaha that sounds hilarious in my head. Like I say, Ng is a surname, so you'll have to go for Ms Ng - but now I sound like a teacher. Speaking of which, I'm off to teach this Czech kid English! Nice meeting you Josh :D

7. xhawkeyex

xhawkeyex New Member

I'm going to trail away from people saying that names don't really matter and just give you some advice for name picking. If you're trying to create a character that is big and buff, then choose a beefy name. By this, I mean, pick a name that sounds like, refers to, makes most people think of as something big. Take Biff, for example, from Back to the Future. It's a name that sounds kind of beefy, cause it sounds like buff. It makes you think that this guy is huge and willing to take whatever he wants. These names are usually short names, usually one syllable. Longer names tend to sound a bit softer, unless you pick a random name like Meatloaf. Although, I don't know many people that would be named that. Anyway, try to pick names that have a long O sound or U sound. Those tend to sound the most threatening to the average human mind.

8. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

I would give him an effeminate name, something that was once a boys name but now is seen as a girls name. You may have to do some research on this to find something appropriate.
    That would give him a disadvantage from the start, he would be bullied because of it (and as many know bullies tend to have been bullied themselves) and after some time he would learn to 'get them before they got him' hennce a bully or jerk.