The Not Happy Thread - Continued

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big soft moose, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Historical Science

Historical Science Contributor Contributor

I was really looking forward to listening to Thomas Pynchon's Bleeding Edge at work but I have never heard a narrator so bad. Lasted about 5 minutes. I'm quite baffled how she was hired. Almost every review of the audiobook is 1 star because of the narrator.

2. Chromewriter

Chromewriter Contributor Contributor

My wife wants to smoke again. We did this fight the last time and we both ended up addicted to smoking after doing so well and quitting for 8 months. I'm not touching the stuff anymore regardless, but I'm in this weird spot not understanding how I can help her.

3. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

My Sally (a dog) trashed another crate. This one makes five.

4. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

My amputation operation has been cancelled for a second time.

This is really taking it out of me mentally.

5. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I am so sorry, Naomasa. I hope this doesn't mean you're forced to continue to endure physical pain as well as mental.

6. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Fortunately, there's no physical pain. It's just the mental toll of waiting when you know your leg is going to be removed.

I guess this is what condemned prisoners must feel like. At least I can write about it!

Seven Crowns, RMBROWN and Madman like this.
  7. Catriona Grace

I certainly hope it helps to share your thoughts. :friend:

8. ItzAmber

ItzAmber test

Power cuts. LOTS of power cuts.

9. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Community Volunteer

Your discord is discordant and your dom has hit the fan?b

Xoic likes this.
  10. Catrin Lewis

:bigfrown:

11. Catrin Lewis

The power adapter on my laptop is broken and the battery has run down. Meaning I won't get any work done on the novel at school tomorrow.

I've ordered a new one off Amazon, and another to spare. They say they'll arrive on Tuesday, and maybe they will.

12. Chromewriter

Chromewriter Contributor Contributor

Fought with my direct supervisor today.
    I've worked 9 days in a row 8 hour morning shifts as a nurse and I'm pretty fucking tired now; morning shifts tends to be the most physically demanding in nursing due to the heavy load of medication rounds and just people being around in general.

Anyway I was asked to come in after 2 days break, even though that would mean I'd be work 9 days/2 days off/ work 8 days. That's pretty demanding. But main problem is that my wife is also working that day (we work in same place as well) and they staggered the shift so we wouldn't be going in together.

This isn't usually a problem because I'd just leave on my lunch break and get my wife and drop her off. But my supervisor was having a fit about it saying I'd be leaving in the middle of a med round (even though I'd most likely finish that round before leaving).

Anyway she pissed me the fuck off. I didn't even want to work that day. My idea when I'd start working wasn't even that I'd be working full time at this place; as a rule I tend to work 2 part time jobs because it gives me flexibility and I'm not overly reliant on one job (I've learnt the hard way to hate being reliant on anyone). Also, bear in mind that this job regularly fucks around with my hours and I have to stay longer than my rostered hours (I hate this part of nursing culture).

She also did this spat in front of my wife and few staff members. It was super unprofessional. It undermines both her authority as a supervisor and mine.

So anyway I'm getting squeezed far more than I want to be and they aren't being flexible. Thank God that the site manager is a lot more reasonable, if she wasn't I'd probably fuck off straight away. She ended up having a chat with the supervisor and we did get to an agreement.

Sorry, I just really wanted to vent that today.

13. DifeTig

DifeTig Active Member

I am a tired Mama who only has time after kids are in bed to decompress or write. So to make progress means sleep deprivation. So Im usually either feeling like my writing progress is idling, or its not but im a zombie momster all day from extreme exhaustion. Sigh.

B.E. Nugent likes this.
  14. Catriona Grace

:friend:

Been there, done that. At this moment, I am sitting across the room from my exhausted daughter and her new baby. Time and energy to write will come. Hang in there, Mom.

DifeTig likes this.
  15. B.E. Nugent

B.E. Nugent Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Raymond Carver, in interview: I used to go out and sit in the car and try to write something on a pad on my knee. This was when the kids were in their adolescence.
    Life gets in the way of this writing business, between job and taxi for, now adult, kids and other daily chores. I couldn't conceive of trying to write when kids were younger and living here. Ten minutes here, half an hour there, working it out in my head so I can launch straight in when the opportunity arises.
    Just dipping in here to say that, however you're doing it, what you've posted on this site is some great writing, with a unique energy and style. So, I'm hoping you manage to keep it going.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  16. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

And so its happened.....

My library purchased the speculative fiction anthology i was featured in. All writers featured in the anthology are black women speculative fiction writers.
    It was labeled and shelved as "urban fiction".....

Catrin Lewis and montecarlo like this.
  17. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Burns suck.

Mine was very superficial thank the gods but damn does it sting. I'm gonna let it air-dry tomorrow and see what it looks like because apparently using the bandage did not help it at all.

18. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Contest Winner 2022

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Currently Reading::
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    Helping the wife clear up the last of the summer garden, pulling up the pepper stalks, sweet, jalapeno, and super-hot. I grabbed what I thought was a lingering small sweet pepper, but it turned out to be a super-hot, and my, it was, it was.

19. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Snow in the forecast for tomorrow.

20. Catriona Grace

Snow has been falling here since late yesterday afternoon. As long as it clears up enough for me t get home tomorrow afternoon, I'm okay with it.

Xoic likes this.
  21. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Contest Winner 2022

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    Sitting on hold for 25 minutes listening to "your call is very important to us but we're experiencing busier than usual . . . . yadayada. Right, if my call is that important, hire enough people to take the calls -- I don't know I've ever made a call recently at a time that was not "busier than usual" or "higher volume than expected," etc.

The worst part is, when my call was picked up, the person who answered could not hear me, though I could hear her, so my scream of frustration went unheard.

And of course there's no one to gripe to at the place I called, since the caller reps have no say in how many are hired, and I'm sure they're tired of dealing with irritated or irate callers. And there was no email contact given.

love to read likes this.
  22. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

If only there were people to hire... sigh. I'm losing around $2 million in revenue a year just to staff shortages.

23. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

according to google there are 30k people unemployed and actively seeking work in Rhode island... they can't all be useless gibbons , surely?

24. Le Panda Du Mal

Le Panda Du Mal Contributor Contributor

Oof that's bad.

Nonetheless congrats on your being published.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  25. GrahamLewis

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    Seriously, Homer, what has happened with all the service people? It's like the pandemic changed an entire workforce dynamic. Did all the server-types develop new trades? Or were those shortages already there?