The Not Happy Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Also as I said earlier with a whole bunch of american forces and NGOs arriving for the relief effort translators are going to be in high demand so he could well be seconded by DoJ to the emergency anyway

Tbh don't take this wrong way but I could give a fuck about the impact of his absence on the forum, I just want my friend to be okay (i'm sure that also true for all you guys too)

2. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Or he could drive to the military base.

3. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I know this pales to what Wrey and Puerto Rico is going through...

My anxiety is gnawing at me. Has been doing so all day.

>:[ I'm trying to ignore it, but it's getting exhausting just having to 'feel' it churning in the back of my head.

Moon and Oscar Leigh like this.
  4. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    This ignorant twat of a-

-not American. Don't want to say which flavor because I don't want to equate him with any of our present company based on his nationality-

-is busy wittering on at the next table about how Trump is the greatest thing that ever happened to the USA, and Obama almost destroyed the country with his bailouts and wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and.....

He's always loud, never (factually) right, and never fucking shuts up.

5. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

Chin up, Link. In the words of the immortal Navi "Hey! Listen!"

....Not sure what that'd do for dealing with anxiety, but Hey!

Don't forget the Fema Camps Obama put us in. He also took my waterguns, the bastard.

P.S. I'm a political science major so the above is a joke. Fuck, that makes it not a joke and more of a comment. Dammit.

Cave Troll and Iain Aschendale like this.
  6. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

The bailouts were a mistake, or, at least, he should have bailed out the little guys, or maybe, at least, arrested somebody?

7. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    My degree is in poli-sci, I got you.
    No, actually blaming Obama for decisions that George W. made. That level of stupidity.

Cave Troll and Moon like this.
  8. Link the Writer

Oh God, sounds exactly like my old boss. He was always on about how Obama was an evil Muslim who destroyed this country, his wife was a gorilla, and that Trump would bring America back to greatness.

I feel your pain. :[

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  9. EstherMayRose

EstherMayRose Gay Souffle Contributor

Have you seen the interview with the guy who said that Obama had a big part in 9/11? It's because he was always on holiday, never in the Oval Office. "And why do you think that Obama wasn't in the Oval Office during 9/11?" asked the interviewer as kindly as he could. "I don't know," the guy replied. "I'd like to get to the bottom of that."

jannert, Fernando.C, S A Lee and 2 others like this.
  10. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

its because he was in Kenya getting his training from al queda ..... obviously

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  11. EstherMayRose

EstherMayRose Gay Souffle Contributor

I did see a Facebook post saying "OMG we're donating $6 million a year [or something] to ISS! It's official! Obama loves terrorists!"

Someone did tell them.

12. Sclavus

Sclavus Active Member

I'm agitated this morning because I've suddenly got a pile of bills that could wipe out my savings. I've had to deal with relatives giving me advice when they don't understand the situation, and who want to get their hands on my financial information to "help me." The last time I did that, I ended up getting in a relative's pocket for $15k. No thanks.

I've also had to deal with "customer service representatives" who don't know customer service. I asked a question, and she proceeded to paint a picture of how I'd fail at life if I canceled my life insurance policy with them. She told me I wouldn't ever have enough money to cover whatever I want done with my remains.

I have money set aside for that. I really don't need this policy; I took it over from my dad as a favor to him, and it's been nothing but a pain in the ass trying to make payments, because of the way they accept payments. Basically every company I do business with is trying to bill me for something, and my relatives are trying to take a piece, and nobody's listening to me when I tell them what the situation is or what I'm going to do about it.

The part that pisses me off the most is when I know something as a fact, I tell someone, and they say, "No it isn't. That can't be, because it doesn't make sense for it to work that way." It may not make sense, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work that way. You don't get to deny that's how it works just because you don't like it or don't understand it.

It's 9:15 AM and I already need a drink.

jannert likes this.
  13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

I once knew a life insurance salesman, who told me what made him feel good...When he'd sold a product to a customer that solved the problem they'd got. He came over all warm and fuzzy and got a feeling such as you or I might get from feeding the homeless of our city for a week out of our own pocket...The trouble with this story of what a good guy he was is that the customer didn't know he'd got the problem until said salesman asked him how he'd cope if disaster X happened.

I've had life insurance and never claimed on it; I've gone without life insurance and never died. If the life insurance company wasn't making money, they wouldn't be there.

14. big soft moose

The bottom line on life insurance is "Do I have a spouse/kids/other dependent relatives who depend on me for financial support" if you do then you need it, if you don't then you don't (although if you have a mortgage the provider will generally insist on one anyway) .

jannert likes this.
  15. Sclavus

Sclavus Active Member

That's my problem with insurance companies in general: they feed on fear. I don't mind paying out in ways that consider reasonable risk, like paying for a security system if I choose to live in an area with high crime. But when somebody tries to sell me on the idea that I need them when I really don't, they are using scare tactics, not customer service.

"You're going to DIE and without US your family is going to go bankrupt trying to bury you."

Uh, no. They're not. I calculated that if I put my payments to my life insurance in a savings account instead of paying on a life insurance policy, I'll have more money than my insurance will ever pay out if I even only live to be 50. And unlike my life insurance, my savings account would never depreciate.

16. Sclavus

Sclavus Active Member

No mortgage, no wife, no kids. No one who depends on me. Doubt that'll ever happen. Kids definitely won't, unless God pulls some kind of miracle (I'd rather He didn't). I rent an apartment, live on a fixed income, and don't need the life insurance because, as I said before, I already have enough set aside for that.

17. big soft moose

So bin it - and if anyone argues tell them to piss off .. EOTD if you've no dependents who cares if your mortal remains wind up in some potters field at city expense

18. NoGoodNobu

NoGoodNobu Contributor Contributor

So I halted the dialogue with the hiring Supervisor at the law firm by asking clearly for her to send me the offer letter.

She kept asking me to start immediately and then asking me to take time off from my current full time job to also do their job from home.

And she was pushing me to to ask my employers for an extra day off a week, but I had never received any sort of offer—verbal or written—and I had absolutely no idea what the wage or salary was going to be.

And it just seemed ridiculous to me that I should be asking time off from my current source of income for a job that could in fact end up paying me less than what I'm currently making.

So I politely & diplomatically hinted as much and asked if she would be so kind as to email me the offer?

I sent that message at 6AM last Friday, we were supposed to email each other Saturday about my taking days off (scheduled before I sent the email), and I haven't heard a word from her.

On the one hand, she has the excuse of the weekend going for the length of says. On the other hand, there was no response Monday or so far today and we were supposed to correspond back on Saturday regardless.

I have this awful feeling that perhaps they really were trying to sucker me into working for them without discussing my wage/salary and that I was in fact going to be paid much less than my current job.

The good news is that I work with my parents running our business, so I didn't actually burn any bridges.

I feel very tense and anxious.

I'm going to give it till 8PM Wednesday to get back to me and if I don't here from them then, I assume I'm really not getting the position.

(´°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥ω°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥`)

jannert and Fernando.C like this.
  19. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

Please do not do this to your loved ones. It may not depreciate, but it can be quickly eaten by major medical expenses. I'm currently dealing with the fallout of having a parent who believed she did not need life insurance and thought her savings would be enough. Had she not gotten cancer, it might have been. All the money she'd saved went for expenses to fight her cancer. (Who can afford 5 years of cancer treatments? That was with decent insurance.)

By the time she realized she needed life insurance it was too late to purchase it. All of us (if you live in the US) are likely to have major medical expenses at the end.

There was no money for her funeral, even a bare bones burial and cremation, so I literally had to beg her siblings to help me pay to bury her, and she sat in the morgue for two weeks while they waited for an itemized bill to arrive and for them to send a check, and now they want me to pay them back.

To get her probate started so I could have the legal right to sell her home and car, I had to borrow money for attorney's fees. She had a will, but when your expenses (medical) outweigh the available funds, the creditors fight over who gets paid first, so things get complicated.

All this has taken a major hit to my own finances, and now I owe relatives the money I had to borrow. Cost to me personally so far: about $12K and a hell of a lot of stress. I'm the executor, and I expect this mess to take at least another year to straighten out.

If she had just had a simple $10K-$15K life insurance policy, my life would be very different right now. I had no idea there was no life insurance policy until she literally informed me on her deathbed.

ETA: Even if you have no kids, depending on where you live, other relatives can be saddled with all this.

Getting off my "pity pot" now, as Mom would call it.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    jannert likes this.
  20. Link the Writer

Sad to say, this sounds exactly like the sort of thing my old boss would believe. Welcome to the Deep South, Esther. :[

Fernando.C likes this.
  21. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

I'm not sure what to do, I've never been in a situation like this before. One of my professors is... a bit odd? She is also the CHAIR of the department. Today in class she was talking about the government spying on us, that the economy is going to collapse, and that the government has already set up FEMA camps and is putting people in them to control domestic unrest. Then she was complaining about people drinking bottled water... I asked her about the proper etiquette for dealing with professors that read your studies for you, whether you should give them a thank you card, or send them an email, and she said to do email because it saves the trees. I mentioned how some people may appreciate a thank you card more with a hand written statement because it shows you actually cared to make the effort, and she responded to me like I murdered someone. I've never felt so uncomfortable in a classroom setting before. It feels very hostile.

jannert likes this.
  22. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

My dad the professor always told me that universities were insane asylums for the intellectually "gifted." I had a couple of wonky professors too... best bet was to keep my head down and let others draw their fire.

Iain Aschendale and Lewdog like this.
  23. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    A lot of my colleagues are stark raving mad, so it's not unusual. However, if you feel that her attitudes will negatively affect your assessment, there should be some sort of student affairs office on campus that you could go ask for help. I had an issue with a professor when I was in university, and they ended up directing me to the Dean of Students. Not much got done, but my concerns were recorded so that I could use them as grounds for an appeal if I wanted to challenge my grade later (I didn't end up needing to). If you're concerned about it affecting your assessment, get your concerns recorded early so that it doesn't look like you're trying to weasel your way out of a grade that you just don't like.

But the FEMA camps are real:

[​IMG]

jannert and Lewdog like this.
  24. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

Ugh. I am so, so sorry. My mom lost her battle this year, too. There are no words for the horror of cancer.

I hope you are doing well, and that the vultures and vampires stay well away (V&V is my term for my greedy and unhelpful family members).

MythMachine likes this.
  25. Sclavus

Sclavus Active Member

The policy I took over from my dad for me doesn't begin to cover those kinds of costs as is. As I said before, I'm fine with paying out to cover reasonable risks. You bring up a fair point that a policy should cover more than what to do with my remains, and it gave me pause. I don't trust the company that has my policy currently, so I'm going to cash it out.

After that, I'll go with a company I do trust, and build a policy to help with medical expenses and the like. My ultimate goal is to have enough in the bank to cover any expense I run into, but it would help if I had a policy to fall back on. What plucks my feathers is when a company uses fear tactics to justify their own existence. "Without us, your life is ruined. If you take your business elsewhere, your life is ruined." That's the vibe I've gotten from my current company.

And yes, I know how crazy it sounds to say, "I plan to have enough in the bank for any medical cost," but that's the goal I'm working toward. There are people who have enough money in the bank to afford any medical expense, and I'm working to be one of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.