The Not Happy Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

A had a friend growing up. I moved away when i was 7.
    When we were 13-14, we found eachother again on facebook and had become long distance friends.

He died this morning.

Xoic, Some Guy, Rzero and 7 others like this.
  2. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Aw, hang in there. Maybe let his family know you were still friends? :friend:

3. J.T. Woody

His mom found photos of us as kids and reached out to me on facebook. We talked for a bit.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  4. jim onion

jim onion New Member

Most of my roommates have either been living at home still or otherwise staying elsewhere, presumably because of the pandemic. And also because they're a lot closer with their family or significant other than they are with me. The loneliness is killer.

Bought an entertainment center that has made the living room TV sit a lot higher than I'd anticipated. Now I have to figure out how to put taller legs on the couch, and have to get the cushions reupholstered so you sit where you're supposed to (as opposed to sinking in 3-4 inches). Just trying to offset the "front row at the movies" feel.

This, of course, all costs money. And I get depressed when I spend a lot of money and this sort of thing happens.

Tried modding Oblivion and long story short, broke it. So had to do a fresh reinstall of the game.

Buddy of mine just got on Rocket League with me though so I feel a little bit better.

5. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Cheaper (and easier) to buy a new couch. How high is the entertainment center? More importantly, how much space do you have been it and the couch?

jim onion and Cave Troll like this.
  6. jim onion

jim onion New Member

Luckily the guy at the furniture store was a total bro and offered me the new legs for free. Like, I'm still going to offer and say, "What do you I owe you?" At the very least leave a 5 star review if he doesn't let me pay for it. But he had 8 spare couch legs that happen to match the couches we got, and they're almost twice the height. So I figure if it's just going to be 30-45 minutes of my time (assuming the holes are drilled right and they're not a total pain in the balls to install), it's fine. But since they're custom and they're being done on the fly like this, I fully anticipate this not going according to plan.

The entertainment center is 3ft tall, got a 55 inch TV on top, and the couch is as far as it can go, about 5 and a half, 6 feet away.

I'm not expecting 5-6 inches to make a major difference, but it's the best I can do with what I've got. Unfortunately I was a moron and bought the entertainment center from Art Van, who are going out of business and will not be taking returns. But at the same time, besides the height issue, there's really nothing wrong with the entertainment center. It feels really well built, looks fine (if you're into a rustic style I guess), etc.

EDIT: I'm drunk. The couch is 7-8 feet away, not 5-6.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  7. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

That's pretty near, no wonder you're having trouble. You can always put wood blocks or a board underneath the couch legs if the new ones still aren't tall enough. Just make sure your feet can still touch the ground.

jim onion likes this.
  8. jim onion

jim onion New Member

Sorry, I'm drunk. That was supposed to be 7-8 ft. I can't measure apparently, but something didn't sound right about that when I read it back. Having remeasured it, it's somewhere around 7-8 feet away. Still pushing it, but not as bad.

EDIT: Yeah, if fixing the sag in the cushions and boosting the legs doesn't work, I'll have to resort to some more janky measures.

9. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

How did it go?

10. keysersoze

keysersoze Senior Member

Not enough blood flowing in the body and not enough blood flowing through my work. Need to switch to a standing desk.

11. J.T. Woody

Had a few glitches here and there where a coworker saw I was struggling over livefeed and began messaging me, then he jumped into the broadcasting room to help me out.
    Other than that, feedback was great. The author was amazing. She put me in contact with another author I'd like to invite for another livefeed.

I still havent watched the saved recording yet, though:blech:

12. jim onion

jim onion New Member

Good job @J.T. Woody! :-D

I've thought about this, but I think I'd be better off just getting some basic exercise a few times a week.

---

The urge to recede into self-pity, wallow in bittersweet nostalgia, buy a pack of cigarettes and smoke three of them in a single sitting, is really strong right now. I've got to put on a different music playlist or something to offset this.

Basically if I don't play video games right now, I have nothing else to do. So I guess it's back to Rocket League. It's either that, or break my four months of being clean of nicotine.

Been drinking since 5pm. At least I got those couch cushions dropped off to get reupholstered. He seemed like a really swell guy; professional place. They should be ready by Thursday or Friday, he'll give me a call. But I didn't hear back from the other guy about the couch legs.

Good news is, the reupholstery guy said he can make me some new legs for the couch as well. So at least I have a good back-up plan there. It just won't be free.

Tempted to drink myself to sleep, because the thought of having to go back to work tomorrow is dreadful and will keep me awake all night.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  13. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Nascar Soccer. :p

14. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Can't do you Nascar, would Reliant Robins suffice?

15. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

That game is damn near impossible. It's all I can do to hit the ball, much less hit it in the right direction.

Rzero and jim onion like this.
  16. jim onion

jim onion New Member

I want to try-out for my university's RL team this coming semester. I don't know how that's going to pan-out though. It feels really clique-ey, and no matter how many times I try to get more involved it's like I'm stuck on the outside of their little circle. Oh well. It's still early yet.

Or maybe I should try-out for the real-life version lol. That video was awesome.

17. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Downloading GTA V. 94 GB At my current speed means it should be good to go sometime next month if I'm lucky.

Some Guy, Rzero, Moon and 4 others like this.
  18. keysersoze

keysersoze Senior Member

The trouble with exercising is regularity. They say it takes 3 weeks to settle into a routine of something. I have gone as far as 16 days with exercising and no further. Everything in me starts rebelling against the exercising routine. I'd love to reach there. Maybe if there was a tolerant, patient coach, I might just reach there. That's the dream. But by myself, every time I start, a voice grows strong gradually and asks me gently and persistently, "all this sham is fine, but when are you going to stop?"

19. jim onion

jim onion New Member

Yeah, I just go there to run for a little bit, like I'm in Silver Linings Playbook.

Besides doing push-ups every morning to wake myself, that's all I really do. As you allude to, I don't have the desire to stick to some bodybuilding crap. I just want to be in decent shape and alleviate some stress in a positive way.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    Some Guy and keysersoze like this.
  20. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Oof, that last dream was rather rude of my brain. I don't like it when my fears are manifested in my dreams. Because a dream is a wish your heart makes, right? I don't want that dream to come true.

21. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

I think you've been watching too much Cinderella. :p

Rzero, Xoic, keysersoze and 1 other person like this.
  22. keysersoze

keysersoze Senior Member

Sometimes life just finds me dumbfounded. I expect too much. What can I do? Life demanded too much and I stood up. I should have been dead a few times by now but I am not. Does it make me frankensteinesque? And who is my creator? Life. Who else?

Some Guy likes this.
  23. J.T. Woody

Work:

boss: hey, do this thing
    me: *does the thing*
    person that receives thing: hey, i spoke with your bosses boss and your thing is different than their thing, so i wont do your thing. also, bosses boss is cc'd on this email
    bosses boss to me in the "reply all": hey, do the thing!

:supermad:
    do i do the thing or do i not do the thing? apparently i dont have the authority to make the thing happen, but yet i still need to do the thing??? make up your minds :nosleep: i am confused

24. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

I wish I could run into a field until my lungs give out and I have to collapse and hold myself together with the Earth's gravity because I am a mess in my head.

It'll be okay. It'll all be okay.

25. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

you should definitely do the thing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.