The Not Happy Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Rad Scribbler

Rad Scribbler Member

Due to my occupation I have a registration with a particular professional body. Since last week Wednesday I have phoned them for specific information and the extension goes straight to voicemail. So I leave a message for them to return my call. Well its now been 5 working days and my calls have not been returned. I am seriously considering lodging a formal complaint as this is very bad customer service toward a member not to mention poor form for an Organisation who consider themselves to be a leader in our industry :mad:

2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Benevolent Ochlocrat Staff Supporter Contributor

Mr. Bellomo is aware of your concerns an' a representative will be sent to adjudicate them soon, if'n youse catch my drift.

Rad Scribbler likes this.
  3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin The game sour like a pickle be.... Contributor

Those whacky Genovese....

4. Rad Scribbler

Rad Scribbler Member

Yeah, maybe I should engage his services :D

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  5. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

Phooey. If they're going to behave like that, I hope the thing is sitting there to this day.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  6. Catrin Lewis

Stake through the heart?

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  7. Catrin Lewis

Not happy about my 90-year-old mother having to go into skilled nursing due to a couple of falls, and if that's not bad enough, she'll be on their quarantine wing for two weeks, with not even those pathetic "window visits" allowed. What makes it even more miserable is that this is going on in a city 1,200 miles from me, and I have to fly down there this next week to help my sisters and nieces pack up my mom's stuff from her independent living apartment--- and I won't be able to see Momma at all. Damn COVID.

If that wasn't enough to tangle my gut, the niece who has her POA (because she lives nearest) is horrible with communications. Oh, she texts, but she gives no info. You have to pry it out of her, and then she gets snippy because you're "texting her too much," or goes sarcastic on you because "you were told that. You should have known." Yeah, in a passing conversation last February before all hell broke loose worldwide.

I have the kind of family that gets along well because we don't have to see each other all the time. And now we girls are going to be working together--- theoretically--- dealing with my mom's stuff and I can see it ranging from sick tension to outright explosions.

If I didn't have a plane ticket I have to use or lose before December, I think I'd make up an excuse and not go. Trying to find out what's going on with my mom and make sense out of my niece's plans for her stuff has me so depressed I can't write. Thank heaven I've had house reno projects to do, or I would have gotten nothing done at all these past two weeks.

8. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Slipping away across the universe Contributor

"dont focus on those debut authors. Focus on the already established authors. They're important and people actually KNOW them"

......even the "established" authors start out as debut authors. Like how are they supposed to become "established" if you dont view them as important? If we dont pay attention to them, how do they build an audience??

I've never understood this way of thinking and it bothers me that im being told to ignore those up and coming authors because they "arent as important" as say James Patterson.

9. Malisky

Malisky Sirocco Contributor

The Middle of Nowhere The Center of Everywhere
    Kind of funny if you think that his greatest influence was the debut novel "Mrs. Bridge" by Evan S. Connell.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  10. Lifeline

Lifeline North of South. Contributor

@Catrin Lewis let me give you a hug. Can't do much more (I'm going into quarantine as soon as I get back home from training and no, I'm not happy about that because of so many reasons... ) but I really hope you and your sisters manage to show each other that all of you care, and you'll get through that together.

:friend:

Catrin Lewis and J.T. Woody like this.
  11. Homer Potvin

In what context are you focusing?

12. J.T. Woody

Ordering new releases for the over all fiction collection (library)

13. Homer Potvin

Oh, I thought you meant "business" stuff like querying, inspiration, etc...

In that case, who cares what everyone else thinks? Read what you want... most of it is dogshit anyway.

14. J.T. Woody

Unfortunately, ordering books for a whole library system... My own person preferences dont matter :superfrown:

Boss says im ordering too many "no named" authors, so now i have to write a report about it...

Homer Potvin likes this.
  15. Malisky

A report upon what exactly? Why you order "no named" authors? Your views about their creations? Or is it something as mundane as a report on sales?

16. J.T. Woody

Why i order them (how i decide what to order)... How much money i dedicate to "no names"... Statistics on how much of the (local) population read certain genres and who are the most popular authors to this area. I guess, all of that makes sense....but id be missing out on other great books and authors by not branching out.
    The thing is, i get a monthly catalogue from our vender highlighting the new releases. I can see books being release in 2021 and read reviewes! Im also subscribed to journals. I dont just pull these books out of thin air (which is what i think he thinks)

(End rant, lol)

17. Homer Potvin

Ohhhh. For a library? Cool! Or not cool in this case.

How to library's support themselves? State funding and endowments? Overdue fees? Is the mission to attract as many borrowers as possible? To be the coolest library in town?

I'm just curious... your book ordering would normally be a business decision, but it's not a business.

18. Malisky

Then this report is a good thing then. It'd be a bad thing if you ordered books randomly and couldn't justify your course of action but since you can, then he might learn a thing or two from your point of view. Might turn out for the best. I'd get creative on it. :)

J.T. Woody likes this.
  19. J.T. Woody

Taxes.
    Our mission is to support learning and to build a community of readers.
    We aim to inspire the community through our diverse and inclusive collection
    (Can you tell ive practiced that, lol)

20. Catrin Lewis

OK, not quite so Not Happy today. Talked to someone else at the skilled nursing place and my prior informant was wrong: They certainly can set me up a window visit with my mom this coming Saturday. Apparently they use the physical therapy room, that has a glass viewing panel.

That's something. What still gives me pause is the lady at Mom's independent living place who tells me we have till mid-November to move Mom's stuff out, so there's no hurry.

Well, thanks for the communication, Ms. Niece. Too late to arrange for vacation time now: my flight and car rental are booked for Saturday at the crack of dawn.

The only real reason to do it now is because my elder sister, my niece's mom, was planning on driving down anyway, before this crisis with my mom happened. She wouldn't be able to come again later.

Oh, well. If, God willing, Mom can get into an assisted living place where we can actually see her, maybe later this fall I can use my vacation time and drive down. That's what I'd rather do, anyway.

21. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber <[:>)-|---< Contributor

To what degree do cardholders' requests influence your purchasing decisions? And how much money is or can be devoted to what you might call classics, or older books? Is there a balance to be struck between purchasing the latest teen vampire romance and say a George Eliot novel that you don't have?

22. J.T. Woody

Cardholder requests? Anything as long as its not independently/self published, and not a textbook.... And not over $50 (they were pretty adamant about that).

Budget? Im just given a lump sum each year with the direction of "have at it!"
    (I've asked those questions in the beginning and was told "use your best judgement").
    I dont order Childrens or YA. Only Adult. Teen vampires would be another department :bigwink:
    I have not had to order classics... I dont order the rereleases or annaversary editions, especially if we already have any version of the title already.
    At one point, when Bird Box came to netflix, i was instructed to order like 20copies. Now that the sequel is out (Malorie), i ordered 15 copies, and got chewed out....
    So... After 2 years, i am still learning the dos and donts. The previous person who ordered adult fiction literally quit.:dead:

23. Catrin Lewis

The rate trad pub is falling apart, your library might want to reexamine its policy against independently published books. Besides, how do they think the trad publishers got started? It's not like there's some kind of apostolic succession.

Mark Burton likes this.
  24. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber <[:>)-|---< Contributor

So how many times does a book have to be requested for it to be purchased?

25. J.T. Woody

Idk. Its only happened once before i started working there. The director was against ordering erotica. Then 50Shades became popular and they got so many requests for it that they caved.
    People still bring that up...

I havent run into that (yet).

This adds to my frustration :(

I like my job and all. I like helping people; helping with their needs, recommending materials and talking about books. The technical side of it... Im not liking as much as i thought.
    With my new degree, i could move up and become a manager and change how things are being done, but im still new to everything and not confident in myself to make that move....

So i complain on the internet :p