1. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

Are you a slow writer?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Madman, Mar 29, 2024.

I am worried that I will write so slow that my USB stored stories won't be compatible with newer computers. Heh...

Took me around two years to write my first novel draft, but now I am lucky if I get a writing session in once a month.

I want to write more now that I have time for it.

How about you? Are you a slow writer?

For fast writers out there, what are your tips and strategies for writing fast?

Set2Stun likes this.
  2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

That's not so much being a slow writer as not having the time for it. When I'm able to sit down and write, and have a story idea firmly in mind with the problems worked out (mostly), I can veer between stumbling over my own fingers because I'm writing too fast to keep up, and having to think for a while (sometimes a few days or a week) to get through some problem before I can pick it back up again. My normal pace would be somewhere in between those extremes.

Madman and J.T. Woody like this.
  3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Do it everyday and don't think.

Madman likes this.
  4. Set2Stun

Set2Stun Rejection Collector Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Currently Reading::
    The Road - Cormac McCarthy
    I think a strong strategy is to set a schedule and stick to it. It's worked well enough for me, at least. When I am in the zone on a novel, I commit to writing on about 90% of my days off from work. 4-hour sessions on average, and rarely ever more than 10 hours per week. I would say consistency is more important than overall speed.

For my latest novel, I finished the first draft in 5 months. That might sound fast and seem like a ton of work, but it was mostly done by simply showing up. I journaled the process and recorded the numbers, so I know this worked out to an average of 35 hours per month and 600 words per hour. They say slow and steady wins the race.

Madman and Not the Territory like this.
  5. Xoic

A good way to get yourself started (if that's a problem)—when you have some free time open up your story and read over the last part you wrote. That'll either get your juices flowing to get back to work on it or to edit on what you've already written.

Madman likes this.
  6. Starcatcher

Starcatcher Member

I find that listening to music helps, at least a little. It can be any kind though I personally recommend instrumentals as lyrics can be distracting.

Madman likes this.
  7. Xoic

This category is so broad—we have no idea what's preventing you from writing faster. The first step toward solving a problem is to define the problem as clearly as you can, by stages. Keep defining it more clearly, and often the solution presents itself, because your thinking was too broad and indefined previously. Just concentrating your attention directly and clearly on the problem is often all that's required.

But I know of one thing a lot of people have done to give themselves more time for their projects is to go to bed shortly after getting home from work, maybe after eating a meal or whatever you need to do, and then get up early in the morning and use that time for your art. Usually the rest of the family is asleep and there are no distractions.

Madman likes this.
  8. Not the Territory

Not the Territory Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

At what I think is a reasonable average speed of 400 creative wds/hour, it's 250 hours to knock out a first draft of 90,000 words. Maybe it would help to think of it as accumulating time on the project rather than words.

If you have a one year target, that's about 21 hrs/month, or a bit over five hours/week to allocate.

Madman likes this.
  9. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

Good points in this thread. I think I know partially what the issue is for me.

Usually when I sit down and face the document, I get work done.

Some would call what I have writer's block, but I do not see it that way. As soon as I open the document, I start writing. There just seems to be some forcefield keeping me from doing it at times. A busted start engine, I think.

Thanks, all.

Set2Stun likes this.
  10. Xoic

Yeah, I've found across the board with creative projects usually getting started each session is the hardest part. It's easy to get caught up in unproductive stuff like video games or scrolling YouTube endelssly or whatever. The best way I've found, as I said before, is to open up your project and look at it. Usually that'll get you engaged with it all over again. It also helps if you find your project exciting. If you don't you'll have a hard time finishing it or working on it at all.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
    Madman likes this.
  11. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

You need to find the method that works for you. Personally, I break writing time into two categories thinking/planning and keyboard time. By doing this I have worked out many things before sitting down to put words on paper and make my keyboard time more productive. There are many nights I go over a scene in my mind as I am trying to fall asleep, and may wind up visualizing a scene several different ways in the process.

Louanne Learning, Xoic and Madman like this.
  12. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

When I write, no. 5,000 words in a day is possible and has been done many a time.

Getting opportunities to write? Now that's the challenge. I'm 25,000 words into a project I've worked on since September. I do a job requiring an average of 12 hours a day of work at present (more going ahead, due to the time of year). I then have to spend time with my family. It's rather like a senile monarch occasionally popping down to the nursery, saying hi to the kids, asking how the studies of Napoleon's greatest victories is going, then retreating back to the study and the workload. Against that background, writing opportunities are snatched rather than taken. A hundred words here and there is de rigour.

Madman likes this.
  13. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

I'm not a slow writer... but i am a slow editor.
    I tend to "just write" when I have an idea.... the hard part (and more time consuming part) is rearranging scenes to fit a narrative. or trying to make decisions to flesh out characters or concepts. And I've grown frustrated with the amount of time its taking me to do it. So i just dont and let it sit for an extended amount of time.... and then its forgotten about. Only to be discovered when im randomly scrolling through old files to delete.
    I have A TON of stories like that. They are "complete" with a beginning, middle, and end.... but needs polishing. and i've just forgotten about them

Madman likes this.
  14. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

That's me as well. I can spend minutes agonizing whether to replace "answered" with "replied." It's part of what I call the "polishing" phase. It usually comes to an end when I'm sick of the piece and and see no point in messing with it any more.

I think it might have been Faulkner who was asked about his writing habits, and he replied (answered?) that he spent the entire morning deciding whether or not to delete a certain word, deleting it, and spent the entire afternoon deliberating on putting it back.

Ink Well and Madman like this.
  15. Ink Well

Ink Well New Member

I am yes.

I write short and flash stories only and rarely ever get the bulk of them in one setting. I obsess at each word, and that first sentence has to be perfect, my idea of perfect anyhow.

It took me two years to write a nine page story. Granted, I gave up on it for months at a time, several times.

The average flash fiction takes me a full week.

Madman likes this.