Tags:
  1. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

The Order: Name rating. Help Please

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by GuardianWynn, Feb 3, 2015.

So in my universe I have a lot done. A lot of characters and stuff. Though since not too many people look at my notes I tend to use place holder names. Like "Sound Warrior" or "1" or "Water" or "(Named character)'s (relation)"

While I am not yet ready to go on a naming spree it has suddenly accrued to me to try and give full names. As all my named characters just had first names. Thanks to some help here I have gotten links to helpful sites. I wonder if they roll of the tongue nicely though. So I seek opinions.

Note should I add small description of character to add some context? Or no?

Valorie Flores
    Vanessa Flores
    Valorie Callahan (Valorie is adopted so she gets two. This being her birth name.)
    Annie Sheppard
    William Tarvoss
    Jackie Tarvoss
    Melissa Contreras
    Mathew Evans

2. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contributor

I've got nothing to say. It's really up to you to decide what character gets what name. It's what makes a story yours.

3. J Faceless

J Faceless Active Member

I think these are fine names, they aren't absurdly uncommon enough to distract from a story or anything. They seem fine. The Contreras character is close to latin for conflict so if you planned that it works.

4. GuardianWynn

Wait what do you mean about Contreras?

5. J Faceless

J Faceless Active Member

Contra means conflict the last name Contreras sounds like that.

6. GuardianWynn

Oh. I see.
    I get nervous. Name are like the covers. I know people aren't supposed to judge by a cover but well we know people do!

7. J Faceless

J Faceless Active Member

Oh Yeah absolutely it sets the tone for a character. I spent a lot of time way back when, creating a master list of names that I use whenever I write something new. So luckily it makes my life much easier. You might like checking out some Latin roots. As someone forced to take Latin in high school it definitely comes in handy.

GuardianWynn likes this.
  8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

Contra means "against" - as in "the pros and con(tra)s of the proposal".

However, I agree that Contreras does sound a little conflicted - but I'm thinking more Mary, Mary, quite contrary...

9. GuardianWynn

Yeah I actually can't even pronounce it. I kind of was just going off what looked cool. Do I fail?

10. Shadowfax

Unpronounceable = Cool?

But the name's OK.

11. GuardianWynn

Hahaha no I can pronounce the others. I just looked at it and thought it looked like a last name.
    I am kind of new at this. I don't consider these official yet so that means I have never really assigned a surname to any created character even. Nervous!

12. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

They seem fine. No need to be nervous over names! Apart from Sheppard and Callahan, the surnames end in 's', so you seem to have a pattern going on there... Which isn't bad. Plenty of names end in 's'.

I don't choose names based on the sound, to be honest, but I can see why authors would, 'cause sound (and looks) can add to the aesthetics. I go like, ok, this guy's of Irish descent, so I might want to choose an Irish surname. Hm, Callahan seems cool. I'll pick that. (I don't have a character called Callahan, though). Or, this gal comes from Southern France, so what kind of surnames are common there... Hm, none of these tickle my fancy, so maybe it's not too far-fetched I picked something else. A surname could also be picked by the person him/herself, in which case family roots and some such won't matter. Anyway, I don't want to spend a lot of time picking names, especially 'cause I might end up changing them in the end anyway.

13. GuardianWynn

That is tricky. Because well my culture is set in the future and I am kind of no expert on current culture. Plus I have more or less seen my characters as ethnically blank sheets. I mean heck I see myself as a blank sheet. The blood in my vains has no effect on my actions choices or thoughts. My characters. I wrote there dreams there fears and there compulsions not there blood. Know what I mean?

14. RachHP

RachHP Senior Member

Totally get the 'blank sheet' ethnicity - I think that works to your favour.
    I like the names, interesting without being far fetched or unpronounceable.

Tiny thing, really sorry,
    "I wrote their dreams, their fears and their compulsions not their blood"
    An awesome idea/ethos when it comes to character development but beware the dreaded their they're there issue ;)

x

15. GuardianWynn

Thanks

You know I have been getting better at that. I know the meaning. I just type to fast. Plus.... spell check never calls me on that. lol I wonder why LOL

16. RachHP

RachHP Senior Member

I have the same issue, unfortunately my brain and fingers aren't working on the same speed most of the time and I find myself catching all sorts of weird spelling mistakes :p
    My spell check also conspires to make me American which is very annoying (I sit wracked with doubt, is it centre? center? liter? litre?) x

17. Shadowfax

Racked with doubt.

18. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

19. RachHP

RachHP Senior Member

touché :cool:

20. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

Pff, who needs full names? I just use first names for my characters, and practically never mention surnames even if I have thought of one.

Surnames only matter if you are writing a story where such a name makes a difference, such as if all Natsuki's are hailed as goddesses wherever they go.