1. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

The Princess of Mars By Edgar Rice

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Leaka, Feb 4, 2008.

Anyone read?
    Was it good?
    Did you like it?

2. AWR

AWR New Member

I read the Mars series and the Tarzan series by Edgar Rice Burroughs when I was a teenager and loved them all. Remember that they were written in a different time (ie. man strong, woman weak and must be rescued, good is always honourable etc etc).

But for uncomplicated adventure they are wonderful.

3. Edward

Edward Active Member

I read A Princess of Mars, and really, it wasn't all that bad, but I just couldn't finish it. Not the least of which reasons was that I had better books checked out (which reminds me, I have to turn in these overdue books I never got around to reading. Curse you only-24-hours-in-a-day!)

I could deal with the language, I could even deal with the insane feats of strength and the sketchy science. I couldn't stand John Carter though. He's kind of a dick. And I mean, it wasn't even because of the whole Man strong, woman weak thing. Hell, if I recall, the Princess of Barsoom was strong and Amazonian.

Book smelled good though. I may not read as much as I should, but man I love the smell of an old, old book. The paper is all woody, uh, it's like a cabin built in the middle of the forest of manliness and libraries.

but yeah, not that bad of a book. Didn't seem like there'd be much character development and the Carter seemed kind of like a Mary Sue...

4. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle