The scenes you dread writing the most

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by peachalulu, May 22, 2014.

1. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Yeah, I struggled writing transitions when I first started as well. It took a while to realise that jumping from important point to important point and leaving out all the bla-de-bla in between is easy. The trick is to orient the reader at the start of every new scene.

Readers don't have to know exactly what has transpired between scenes, but they do need to know who the characters are, where they are, and what they're doing at the start of every new one.

Orienting the reader is SO important, and it's not hard to do. Little phrases like "By the time Jack reached the seashore, it was dark." (If he was heading for the seashore in the previous scene.) Or "The following week, Jane received a letter from her sister." (If Jane was a character in the previous scene.) Little tricks like this work better than driving with Jack for 6 hours enroute to the seashore (if nothing important happens on the journey.) Or going through Jane's weekly activities until her sister's letter arrives, if her routine doesn't impact on the story.

Of course this requires a bit more effort if the character in the previous scene was different. Then you have to identify the new character (s) and let us know where they are and what they're doing. (And who they are as well, if they are new to the reader.) But once you get a grip on this process, you'll feel easier about leaving out irrelevant details about the process that gets your characters from A to B. And meanwhile, back at the ranch....

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
    Renee J, peachalulu and GuardianWynn like this.
  2. jannert

We should collaborate! :) Just joking....

3. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

I'm afraid you are going to have to relocate your entire novel into space ;)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
    jannert likes this.
  4. RachHP

RachHP Senior Member

Inner turmoil scenes are the worst for me. I'm an over thinker, so all my characters have a tendency to grapple never-endingly with decisions or revelations and it just takes...so....long....
    Really need to get the knack of 'less is more'

5. jannert

Why is it me who has to change? Nope, you can relocate YOURS to 19th Century Montana! Or Nova Scotia! Outer space, mutter mutter mutter....mump mump mump....

Ach, this collaboration is already falling apart ...I knew it...

Chinspinner likes this.
  6. Some_Bloke

Some_Bloke Active Member

I've never tried writing a sex scene, probably because apart from TV shows and films I've watched that have sex scenes in them I know bugger all about the subject.

Game Of Thrones and Cucumber/Banana are really the only TV shows I've watched with graphic sex scenes in them and the majority of films don't really have graphic sex scenes (at least the ones I watch). The only film I've seen and enjoyed that had a graphic scene in it was actually a disturbing rape scene (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo) and I don't want to think about that scene at all, it was really messed up.

7. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Ov The Left Hand Path Contributor

i cant bring myself to write sex scenes, just the thought of writing one makes me shudder, i can throw in all the stereotypical male sex innuendo (and have done so in my main series) but actual sex scenes are a huge no-no for me.

mg357 likes this.
  8. Crawl

Crawl Member

I hate writing scenes where my character is disgraced :)

9. Lilith_Duat

Lilith_Duat Member

I hate writing fight scenes. I am no fight choreographer and I know very little about weaponry. Also I have trouble weighing if the character can stand more punishment versus if the reader would get bored.

Some_Bloke likes this.
  10. kennyblim

kennyblim New Member

I am dreading to write scenes in a hospital, courtroom, police station or prison because I am doubtful whether or not I can make it believable enough. It's going to happen sooner or later, but it's making me a bit anxious in the meantime.

11. Wynter

Wynter Active Member

It really depends, some works I can picture the opening immediately, others it's the death scene.

I generally have the most difficulties at the start, but if i don't then invariably somewhere down the line I'll be stuck as hell at one seemingly unimportant point.