1. Punctuate THIS!

Punctuate THIS! New Member

The semicolon mystery

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Punctuate THIS!, Sep 14, 2009.

I like complex sentences; I find them more conducive to the idea that i'm trying to convey (where a period might cap off the thought, before i've finished it). I hear tell that a semicolon can be used in place of comma (in a complex sentence), to void confusion for the reader. I was wondering if there was a rule or guideline to follow to identifying which comma is to be relplaced.

Punctuate THIS!

2. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

The rule would be whatever the rule normally is for when a semi-colon should be used.

But you may want to take Kurt Vonnegut's advice if it applies:
    [FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

gotta love vonnegut!

imo, colons and semicolons have no place in fiction, despite the british proclivity for using them there... in all cases, a comma, period, em dash, or conjunction do a much better job...

they are certainly useful in non-fiction, but i hate seeing them in stories and novels, where i find them more intrusive, than helpful...

4. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

So

"I like complex sentences - I find them more conducive to the idea that i'm trying to convey."

would be better?

5. witch wyzwurd

witch wyzwurd New Member

That would not be correct use of the dash. A dash is used to convey information about a subject or action of a sentence which is not important to the story but important enough that the author wanted to share it. Here are two examples:

Right now I am eating cereal-man, I like this cereal-and watching a movie.
    I went running-well, more of a jog-the other day.

This rule is applied to lists:

I bought a green egg, which ended up to be spoiled, potatoes, from Idaho, carrots, that turned out to be soggy, green beans, and mushrooms.

should be

I bought a green egg, which ended up to be spoiled; potatoes, from Idaho; carrots, that turned out to be soggy; green beans; and mushrooms.

Semi-colons should only be used when necessary. The use of it in your sentence:...

I like complex sentences; I find them more conducive to the idea that i'm trying to convey (where a period might cap off the thought, before i've finished it).

...is wrong. But so is your use of parentheses.

6. SlickBeast

SlickBeast New Member

The semicolon is overrated if you ask me, and is something you can very well do without in fiction.

There's nothing wrong with prolix sentences, but usually when you want fast-paced action scenes, shorter sentences are recommended.

7. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

Well, ok.

What then, would be the correct thing to insert here?

"I like complex sentences [x] I find them more conducive to the idea that i'm trying to convey."

Just a period and nothing else?

Also, regarding your use of the dash.

Right now I am eating cereal-man, I like this cereal-and watching a movie.

wouldn't this be clearer, or atleast the same, with parantheses?

Right now I am eating cereal (man, I like this cereal) and watching a movie.

I found this about the dash, which — as I understand it — would justify the use of it in the original sentence above.

"The dash is a handy device, informal and esentially playful, telling you that you're about to take off on a different tack but still in some way connected with the present course — only you have to remember that the dash is there, and either put a second dash at the end of the notion to let the reader know that he's back on course, or else end the sentence, as here, with a period." - Lewis Thomas

8. CharlieVer

CharlieVer Contributor Contributor

I like complex sentences--I find them more conducive to the idea that I'm trying to convey ((where a period might cap off the thought...before I've finished it) I hear tell that a semicolon can be used--(in place of comma (in a complex sentence))) to void confusion for the reader; I was wondering if there was a rule (or guideline) to follow to identifying which comma is to be replaced.

Okay, I admit it, I'm kidding with the above punctuation.

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If your sentence is so complex that it requires that many punctuation "folding points", you should really consider breaking it up. Seriously. Just because you can construct the sentence to make it logically and syntactically hang together doesn't make it a good idea.

10. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

I just realized this sounds sketchy. Homework? :confused:

11. Sound of Silence

Sound of Silence New Member

If you're unsure about what's used in fiction and what isn't, get into the habit of checking through the published work on your shelves.

I've seen adverbs used; I've seen passive used; I've seen the semi-colon used. Just make sure you know how semi's work and why they're there. Find out why they replace the coordinating conjunction when you have two closely related independant clauses, find out why they're used before conjunctive adverbs to then link independent clauses, and find out what role they play in lists dotted with punctuation... That knowledge will tell you if you need it in your work too.

12. architectus

architectus Banned

I like complex sentences because I find them more conductive to the idea that I'm trying to convey, whereas a period might cap off the thought before I've finished it. I hear that a semicolon can be used in place of a comma, in a complex sentence, to avoid confusing the reader.

13. CharlieVer

Colons do have a purpose.

The places they may be used include: fiction, nonfiction, letters, articles, and at the introduction of a list embedded in a sentence.

14. Cogito

Colons are mostly for the separation of nutrients from inigestible waste products.

They have some place in fiction, but their appearance there should be very rare.

1 person likes this.
  15. witch wyzwurd

witch wyzwurd New Member

Horus, I don't find it respectful to the original post to continue our conversation here. So I'll pm you.

Better yet:

I like complex sentences. I find them more conducive to the idea that I'm trying to convey when a period might cap off the thought before I've finished it. I hear that a semicolon can be used in place of a comma to avoid confusing the reader.

16. mammamaia

a poor example for a couple of reasons... first of all due to the improper use of a hyphen, instead of an actual em dash, or the double hyphen that's used to indicate one... and second, because you shouldn't have more than one em dash-separated phrase in the same sentence...

17. CharlieVer

On the colon: I actually have a line in my book that someone told me requires a colon, which I virtually never use, but let me run this past you, because it doesn't seem correct, being a list of one.

(The scene leading up to this has Thomas Jefferson and his slave, Madison Hemings, walking towards Monticello, where several crates were sitting on the steps.)

"My latest acquisitions," Jefferson said.
    Madison knew what Jefferson meant: books.

I could, of course, go with the sentence fragment.

Madison knew what Jefferson meant. Books.

Is there a better way?
    Is a colon appropriate with a list of only one?

Charlie

18. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

^ I actually like it when a colon is used in that case, even though there is only one item in that list.

19. I think that it is. It had been in some books that I've read

20. Cogito

I would prefer the sentence fragment in fiction. In nonfiction, particularly essays, strict adherence to the formal rules of punctuation is preferable. But sentence fragments are not only acceptable in fiction, they are encouraged, as long as they are not used too excessively.

Where would I use colons in fiction? In a title that contains a colon:
    I would also use it in a block quote of an Internet chat:

21. Sound of Silence

Sound of Silence New Member

Hey, Charlie.

The colon as your using it isn't indicating a list sentence (i.e. Jane likes three things: money, men and men with money) It's showing a logical answer to the stament before:

Madison knew what Jefferson meant (statement): books (logical answer).

So yes, certainly according to British English, that's perfectly logical usage. You just need to check with whatever English hybrid you use, hun.

22. witch wyzwurd

witch wyzwurd New Member

I don't know how to make an em dash with the keyboard. So I did the best I could. Second, double dash is not proper; although, many people use it.

I don't. Go back and read my sentences.

You should respect the original poster, I believe, by pming me critiques on my responses in a thread.

23. mammamaia

the best way is how you did it with the period and fragment... though you could also have used an em dash there...

a list isn't a list, if there's only one item...

i have to ditto cog's post on where colons should be used in fiction...

if you have ms word, you can find the em dash in the 'symbol' display found in the 'tools' menu... there's even a keyboard shortcut, though i don't know what it is... but the simplest way is to use a double hyphen... and it certainly IS 'proper'... in fact, it's the standard way to indicate a hyphen in a ms and what agents and publishers will expect...

i just did... and you do... there are 4 hyphens/em dashes in that sentence, which can only mean you have 2 'em dash-separated phrase(s) in the same sentence'...

no disrespect was intended or implied... and when an incorrect example is presented in a thread, as a de facto lesson to those who may not know better, there's nothing wrong with adding a polite correction... doing so privately wouldn't let other posters know it's not a good example to follow, or learn from...

this is done all the time on writing sites... it falls under the category of 'friendly discussion'... and if it were all done in pm's, i venture to say there'd be way fewer than half the posts here on the site, than there are now...