The Sports Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gigi_GNR, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

Kasey Keller's still going? Flipping heck, thought he'd gone past his sell-by date many years ago. He wasn't young when he was at Leicester. Good on him for keeping going so long.

And worst ref in the world is still an accolade taken by the somewhat aptly named Mr Bates, who once managed to give our creative midfielder a straight red for overcelebrating a 90th minute winner when we'd just come from 2-1 down with 10 men to snatch an incredible victory. He'd earlier sent off our captain for an innocuous foul, given them a penalty which was never a penalty against our captain and ruled out three of our goals. So the 9-man Town team and about 13,000 partisan fans weren't happy with him.

Second place goes to the pillock who managed to send me off for a 'studs up lunge' three seconds (don't ask how I know that - long story involving my poor disciplinary record at the time and a bet) after coming on as a sub. Even though I'd won the ball cleanly and their lad had stamped on me, it was their free-kick and I was the guilty party, despite the blood from their lad's stamp (incidentally, their lad was off feigning injury, which miraculously recovered the moment red was brandished by that berk).

Your bloke comes in third ;)

2. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

Yeah, Keller is still going. He's one of the best goalies in MLS and he's into his forties by now. Of course he's past his prime by now, and EPS is loads better than MLS which he's come down to by now, but he's still going strong and is still very very good.

Alright, fine i supposed i can concede that those two goalies sound alot worse than ours. Especially the first one. Our guy was really bad though, he didn't call blatantly obvious fouls on us-and I'm talking slide-tackling, pulling to the ground, minor injury type fouls, carded one of our players for arguing against a foul that didn't happen/wasn't a foul and didn't give cards to fouls against us that should have been fouls, whilst missing the also very obvious things like a handball that happened about 2 feet infront of his face

He was just a horrible ref, one of those types that you wonder how he ever managed to actually get certified in the first place

but I will admit, your stories are worse :rolleyes:

3. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

Did anyone see the Strikeforce disaster on CBS tonight? Dana White must be a very happy man right now, that was embarrassing.

Speaking of which, the Capitals are almost as big a playoff joke as the Sharks, in that they dropped a game to the 19th best team in the league. Fortunately they won tonight after the profoundly useless Jose Theodore gifted Montreal two goals to start the game. Fortunately he was pulled, and will hopefully not be seen again this series.

Every playoff series (save Blackhawks/Preds, which has only had one game so far) is tied. Aside from Colorado and Montreal, everyone left has a chance to take the Cup. This is going to be an epic playoffs.

4. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Draft is this Thursday! *crosses fingers for Hughes*

Hopefully adventurous TT will show up, the one that traded up to get Matthews and Raji last year. No busts this year, Teddy, we're THISCLOSE to a Super Bowl win.

5. Agreen

I'm cursed. 50 San Jose shots to a minuscule 16 for Colorado, long stretches of the game looking like a Sharks pp, shots 42-7 over the last two periods. And a minute into overtime the Sharks own goal. Unbelievable, in the sense that I don't believe it. 1-0, despite making the other team look like an OHL reject. Often, hockey is the best sport in the world. Tonight it was garbage. Cut Boyle.

The worst part is that until the they come back and blow the Avalanche out the rest of the series I'll be hearing about how bad they choked tonight. Yeah, the Sharks 'choked' if by 'choked,' you mean have lost two games to a vastly inferior team by way of flukey, garbage goals. And to add injury to insult, one of our best players was injured on a cheapshot near the end of the third. I'm so mad :mad: :(

6. Gigi_GNR

Wow, the Brewers ACTUALLY HELD ON TO A LEAD FOR ONCE!!! :eek:

They scored 10-0 in the first inning and won 11-7 against the Nationals. If only they didn't have to score so often and so early to actually WIN A GAME. :mad:

But we won, and that's good with me! :D

(Agreen, I know how you feel supporting a heartbreaking team. :()

7. Agreen

I can't think of any real-life comparisons I've experienced for what happened last night. It'd be like a baseball teaming putting up 20 hits, loading the bases every inning, and losing the game 1-0 on four straight walks in extra innings, with the losing pitcher throwing a no-hitter. It would be like a football team driving down to the goalline 5 times, only to lose the game by way of the quarterback accidentally stepping out of the back of the endzone 2-0. To lose a game you dominate, by way of an own goal... I've experienced far more than my share of sports misery over this past decade, but I'm going to say something I'd never though I'd say: Last night was worse than the snowjob. Never before has there been a less deserving 'winner' than the Colorado Avalanche last night. That's the only positive I can take from it- the Sharks are a much, much better team. I'm convinced if they take the effort and personal sacrifice to set up a screen and crash the crease, they will blow the Avalanche out the rest of the series.

8. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

College football is adding a new rule. Now taunting right before scoring (such as hich stepp[ing or pointing to the crowd with the ball) is a penalty that'll get the touchdown taken away. Considering how bad refering is at times, you know it's only a matter of time before someone will be flagged just for breaking their stride.

9. Agreen

That is the single worst sports rule I've ever seen. Just awful. I hate everything about it, and everything it stands for.

10. Gigi_GNR

They also got rid of the eye black with messages, a la Tim Tebow. One sportscaster pointed out the irony of them waiting until Tebow was out of college and going into the draft to make that rule legal. :) I don't mind him wearing his beliefs on his sleeve, reminds me a bit of the Minister of Defense, Reggie White, in that way.

I miss Reggie. :(

Draft is in a few days and I am excited for those 8 new rookies..... :D

11. Agreen

NFL schedule was released today. I'm disappointed not even one of our games is in primetime, though hopefully the late season matchup against the Doncs will get moved to Sunday night. For once the Raiders get a late bye which is nice, and their early schedule is a bit soft, so we might be able to stay in contention at least long enough for the games against Denver to mean something.

There was some speculation about the Raiders taking Tebow. I really hope they won't. He's going to suck in the NFL, and his image is the exact opposite of what the Raiders strive for :p

Go Sharks! Ever since the fluke own goal on Sunday, I've been waiting for tonight's game. As long as the team doesn't let the last game get to them, I think they're going to blow Colorado out tonight.

12. Gigi_GNR

We don't need a QB, but McCarthy has said he'd love to develop Tebow. We won't take him in the early rounds though. If he falls way far down the board to the later rounds, maybe, but no way are we taking him in the first round or the second round, or even the third.

And we start in Philly, oh joy. We can munch on cheese steaks while the fans boo their own team. Although with all the comparisons between Kolb and Rodgers it'll be interesting to see the two on the field together.

Ooh, October 24, Vikings/Packers! YES! REVENGE! :D And then next week we play the Jets.... old man Brett is gonna have to pick a side! LOL!

13. Agreen

Sharks take it in Overtime. This is a huge win, now they can take Game 5 on Thursday, take the series lead, and put some pressure on Colorado.

The Sharks put up another 45 shots tonight. Over the last two games, they're scoring on 2% of their shots- a simply unsustainable level of goaltending for Colorado. Anderson will break soon.

Also, it was nice to see Boyle get the first Sharks goal after what happened last time. He also saved the game on one of Colorado's few OT chances.

14. Gigi_GNR

ESPN's rolled out the draft graphics. My TV screen is all pimped out and ready to roll. :D

15. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

MASSIVE breaking sports news in Australia.

In the NRL, The National Rugby League, the Melbourne Storm has been found to have broken the salary cap for 5 years straight.

Now, over the past five years Melbourne has Won the 2007 and 2009 Grand Finals and in 2005, 2006 and 2008 were runner's up (thus for Grand finals in a row)

With this news they have lost all points for the season (6 games in) and will not score and points all year (20 weeks left) thus they will recieve last place at the end of the year.

They have also been stripped of all Premierships that they have won over the 5 year period!!

They also have to pay a fine (small for international standards, but huge for a club with a salary cap) and money they recieved for winning premierships.

I always hated Melbourne for their greatness. Now i no why!

16. Agreen

Whoa, those are some hefty punishments, might be even worse than what Juventus was penalised for their role in the ref scandal. When the Broncos cheated the salary cap for their last Superbowl, they just lost a 3rd round pick.

Edit: Oh, first round of the draft is today. Raiders seem set on Iupati or Maurkice Pouncey, arguably the two best interior offensive linemen in the draft. I don't think top ten picks should be spent on interior offensive linemen, but if they trade back and get some value, while adding either guy I'll be very happy. Either way, they're better than anyone we've taken in the first since Michael Huff :p

Edit2: Sharks Game Day! Huge one tonight. If the Sharks can take game 5 from the Shark Tank, I think they've got the series. It will give them a 3-2 lead. It's just unfortunate thanks to last Sunday's catastrophe they can't wrap it up tonight. Also of note, we could see the first two eliminations tomorrow- both Ottawa and New Jersey are on the brink of elimination. Though for divisional rival purposes I don't really want Ottawa to win the Cup, I don't like the Penguins so I hope they can extend the series. As for the Devils, the sooner they are gone the better. Should be another strong night of hockey- the only thing better than NHL playoffs are special events like the World Cup or the Olympics.

17. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

The thing is, Rugby league is a New South Wales and Queensland state thing. Victoria (Melbourne) is reletively new. They also just built a 100+ million stadium which gets launched this week i think. The cub is i'm certain going to go under.

Not to mention there may be Jail time for those involved in this (management).

18. Shadow Dragon

Hm, the Ravens have three tough road games in the first four weeks. Good. They seem to play better when they have a tough road schedule. As for the draft, I hope they pick up a corner in the first ound. The ones we have now are good, but I don't think any of them can become a top tier player at that position. In the second round they should consider a defensive lineman, since the ones they got now are getting a little old.

19. Gigi_GNR

Schedule looks great for the Pack, much more challenging. We need that for our secondary. I'm tired of seeing our D fall apart when we face elite QBs.

DRAFT TONIGHT!!!! :D My avatar has been changed back for the occasion.

And.

Holy.

Crap.

Brewers won against the Pirates.

Brewers won against the Pirates TWENTY TO ZERO.

20-0.

:eek:

I AM SO HAPPY!!!!!!!!! WE CAN ACTUALLY WIN!!! AND WE'RE AN OFFENSIVE MACHINE!!!! :D

20. Shadow Dragon

Draft is starting now! :D Let's see what the Rams do.

21. Agreen

Rams take Bradford. I think it's a bad pick- this is the offensive line that broke Bulger, and Bradford has a history of injury problems. If they wanted a qb, I think they should have gone with Clausen.

On the other hand, I think the Lions just took the best player in the draft. Good for them.

22. Shadow Dragon

Actually, if they wanted a quarterback, they should have picked up McCoy in the second round.

23. Agreen

That's what I'm hoping the Raiders do :p

24. Shadow Dragon

Do you have something against him? I'd feel bad for the guy if he had to go to the Raiders. :p

25. Agreen

He'll be just find enjoying his view from the bench for a couple of seasons while we rebuild the offensive line.