The Sports Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gigi_GNR, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

Well, Sharks couldn't buy a bounce or a call all series, so it's over. I can't say I'm a fan of Chicago's run the goalie style, but it'll get them a Cup. That said, Go Flyers. Thankfully Nabokov will never play another game in a Sharks uniform. Marleau better be Wilson's top priority. If the Sharks can't keep him, they better move him to the Leafs :p

Also Azarenka lost in the first round of the French Open so basically today sucked in sports.

2. Dr. RoxoR

Dr. RoxoR New Member

Hey, whose pumped for the Celtics to complete the sweep tonight? I know I am, this celtics team is running on all cylinders, and the magic are playing like a bunch of schmucks. Can't wait for a Celtics - Lakers finals, so I can see the look on Kobe's face again when they lose.

3. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

Well, it's official: Scotland 'B' international Scott Arfield has joined Huddersfield Town from Falkirk for £400,000. Arfield moves to Town after rejecting an unnamed Championship club, Scottish Premier League clubs Heart of Midlothian and Hibernian and League One moneybags Southampton.

Arfield is a midfield player with a real pedigree in the Scottish game, playing 122 times in 3 years for Falkirk and netting 16 goals, and looks to be yet another exciting young player coming to Town. If this squad stays together for the next four or five years, Town can look forward to having a side of real quality, playing exciting football. If we get one or two more experienced players in, we'll be favourites for the League One title next campaign.

Other rumours for Town have included experienced Crystal Palace captain Shaun Derry, ex-England international and European Cup winner Nicky Butt and Scotland and Rangers left-back Steven Smith.

Breaking HTFC news: Jevons, Nightingale, Hassan, Williams and Heffernan all released. Eastwood, Skarz, Butler, Collins, Goodwin, Berrett, Ainsworth and Denton all available for transfer. Simpson available for loan. Lucketti and Craney already gone. Heck of a clearout.

It would leave the squad looking like this if all those went:

1. Smithies, 2. Peltier, 5. P. Clarke, 6. N. Clarke, 7. Roberts, 8. Kay, 9. Robinson, 12. T. Clarke, 17. Rhodes, 19. Pilkington, 21. Novak, with Arfield as yet not assigned a squad number.

4. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Saw on ESPN today that there might finally be a cold weather Super Bowl. They were talking about how some of the greatest NFL games were played in cold weather, and they showed footage of the Ice Bowl and 2007 NFC Championship game (admittedly '07 was a bit harder to watch, knowing the outcome). Still made my day though. :D Nothing like seeing those icy Packer games.

5. Agreen

Check out Yahoo's hockey blog 'Puck Daddy'- they have a post from the two brightest stars of the Leafs online fan base, Bloge Salming and Down Goes Brown, commemorating the demise of Les Horribles, the Montreal Canadiens. It is one of the finest pieces of sports tro- journalism I've ever seen. Now that Montreal is out the world is a much brighter, happier place.

6. Gigi_GNR

The Brewers are 19-28. Are you kidding me?! :mad:

7. Agreen

Tonight's UFC was going great, and then Bisping showed up. A decent card overall, but both the main event and co-main event were pretty bad. I'm confident over 5 rounds Shogun will finish Rashad. As for Rampage, outside of a 20 second burst he was terrible tonight.

Oh and TFC actually won again tonight. They might make the playoffs this season :eek:

8. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I was really hoping Bisping would lose. It seems that a lot of my friends here in AZ were surprised by Rampage's poor performance, but I don't know why. I would have been very surprised if he had won.

9. Agreen

Dan Miller should never be in a co-main event, he probably shouldn't even be on a main card. I just wish that if they needed a Bisping a fight they could have thrown someone decent at him- I'd love to see Belfort knock him out.

The main event went the way I expected. Rampage has become committed to throwing just power shots, his technique unsurprisingly has regressed since he joined Wolfslair. He's still Rampage and I wasn't surprised his one clean shot nearly put Rashad out, but I figured Rashad would stick to a good gameplan and neutralize a sloppy Rampage most of the fight. Rampage is so slow now, and a fast and elusive opponent like Rashad was a terrible matchup for him. It seems every time a fight is hyped up as a bitter rivalry it ends up being a terrible fight, like Diego/Koscheck 2. We're probably lucky Tito/Chuck 3 isn't happening.

10. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Yeah, the matchup with Bisping was kind of a joke. And I think the biggest letdown with the Rashad v Rampage fight was that it was so long coming. They're going to fight...oh, Rampage backed out. They're going to fight...oh, Rampage backed out. And then the fight was just...boring. It feels like it's been a long time since there was a really exciting fight.

And yeah, I'm definitely not sad that Tito/Chuck isn't happening.

11. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Hoorah, Soderling beat Federer. I know Federer is a great tennis player, but I'm glad he got beaten and Soderling deserved to get through to the next stage of the French Open.

12. Gigi_GNR

Brewers currently 21-30. :mad: We need to close this gap between the wins and the losses, NOW. We lost to the Marlins 13-5. THIRTEEN TO FIVE!!!!! :mad:

13. Dante Dases

Town's second signing of the summer is Iceland international midfielder Joey Gudjonsson, whose name I'll struggle with on account of his fellow, slightly more famous, Iceland player, Eidur Gudjohnsen.

The lad's played in the top flight of five European countries, has almost 40 international caps and played in the Premier League ten times last season. In short, hell of a signing.

[​IMG]

14. Gigi_GNR

Brewers currently down 3. LEARN HOW TO PITCH OR GET OFF THE DAMN FIELD!!! :mad:

15. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

Who else is excited for the 2010 World Cup?! I tend to go in and out of soccer phases, but I have always supported FC Barca over the years and watch El Clásico annually, so I'm really rooting for Spain because it has a lot of Barca members... particularly excited to see Rodriguez, and we all know Valdes will keep the goals. :)

Although to be honest, I think the reason I'm so excited for the World Cup is because it gets me amped up for American football season! :) We (being my beloved Colts) missed the Superbowl last February, but I'm sure we'll nab it this season!
    I'm hyped for preseason! ...Too bad it doesnt start until mid-August! :p

16. Agreen

Merc, is the Superbowl in Indianapolis this season or next season? It'd be sweet to see the Colts take it at home. Unless by some miracle the Raiders aren't awful by then.

I'm excited and nervous for the World Cup. Excited for the games, nervous to see how England finds a way to lose again. I would cheer for Canada, but of course they didn't make it because we're only good at one major team sport. I default to cheering for England because half my family was originally from there. Also, as a Manchester United fan I must support Rooney and Ferdinand and Carrick.

17. Manav

Manav New Member

I am really excited about the 2010 world cup too! Yes, England may yet again find a way to lose... but the most consistent under-performer in every previous world cup has been Spain and Portugal. I like both the teams but I am afraid to support them for fear of losing face in front of my friends..... believe me I have been there...

18. Dante Dases

We've been signing internationals again :D

This time, it's Scotland left-back Gary Naysmith who joins on a two-year contract after failing to agree a deal with Sheffield United. That's the Sheffield United who were chasing play-offs in the division above. I'm not normally one to get excited by defenders signing, but this is a defensive signing that's simply out of this world for this level. He was probably the best left-back in the Championship, and so at League One he'll hopefully be awesome, and with almost fifty caps for Scotland he brings experience of places like the Amsterdam Arena, the San Siro and other grounds around the world to the Town team.

Incidentally, since this signing was announced, we went from 13/2 third favourites to win the league to 4/1 second favourites, behind Southampton. I just get this feeling that this is a title season coming up.

19. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I am! But I'm not holding much expectation for England - they won't do that well.

World Cup excitement has been overtaken by tennis excitement though. French Open Singles Finals this weekend! :D And then there's Queen's and Wimbledon. Yay for tennis.

20. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    Yay for Rampage losing! The man is an idiot, plain and simple. Disgustingly crass (he groped a woman who interviewed at one time) and basically NOT what the face of MMA should be. Rashad I have no feelings on. Shogun I think is alright, though I still like Machida if only for being different.

Then again, they could all kill me with their little finger, so I won't complain ;) I want to see Carwin destroy Lesnar though.

21. Dante Dases

I fancy us this year. Obviously, Rio getting injured won't help, but Ledley is the best natural defender England have, and but for the injury problems he'd be captain anyway, so we'll see. Throw in Rooney, Ashley Cole (the best left-back in the world - I seem to be talking about left-backs a lot right now), Gerrard, Lampard, Joe Cole, Lennon, etc, and we have as good a chance as anyone.

Oh, and Gary Naysmith is a Huddersfield Town player!!! I may have mentioned it, because it's a dead exciting signing.

22. Gigi_GNR

Packers will win the Super Bowl, and the preseason game against the Colts. ;) Just sayin'. But I'm pumped up too! Great draft and a great team. And Rodgers could be a contender for MVP.

2012 it's in. And I'm rooting for America in the World Cup! :D

Say whaaaaat? ;) (I know, 2 different people.)

23. trev33

trev33 New Member

rio getting injured might actually help england, he's been awful for man utd this season. they haven't had a decent coach take them to a finals since '90, wouln't be shocked to see them in the semis and from there, who knows what can/will happen. personlly i hope they get knocked out in the group stage though :p

24. Agreen

England opens against the US. I am hoping it will be similar to a certain Olympic hockey medal game. The one that went to OT :p

The Rio injury sucks. I wanted to see him as captain :(

Yeah, Rampage deserves a lot of the hate he's getting, he has a lot of natural ability which he seems committed to squandering. I think Machida will be fine for the most part, Shogun's Maui Thai was just the worst possible matchup for him. I think Carwin is going to knock Lesnar out, I can't wait :D

25. Gigi_GNR

I have no idea what you're talking about. Nope, no idea. Drawing a blank here. :cool:;)