The Sports Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gigi_GNR, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

Well, last week I said I wasn't mad about the Raiders losing. This week I am. Pathetic effort on both sides of the ball. What the hell was Cable thinking, benching the quarterback that led this team to three straight wins and put them in front of the division because he had one bad game? Idiocy. Don't even get me started on the miserable display from the defense. If Asomugha wasn't ready why the hell did he dress? Miami was without their top 2 receivers. Their o-line was ripped apart last week by Chicago. The Raiders found a way to make them look like all-pros. So much for progress. I can actually see this team losing out, continuing the streak of 11+ loss season. Any reason for hope brought about by the win streak is gone.

2. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Man.Utd lost 4-0 against West Ham. Terrible.

3. Agreen

I'm glad I missed it then. How is that even possible :eek:

4. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

West Ham played well and took their chances while Man United were crap is how it happened. As for possible: this is football. Nothing is impossible.

5. Eunoia

Ha, what Dante said. I didn't see it, but I read about it and yeah.. Man.Utd did not play well.

6. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

Fredy Montero has just been signed on as the third DP on the Sounders, so he'll be sticking around :)

edit-btw, that's him as my avatar :p

7. Eunoia

So, Russia's hosting 2018 World Cup. Unlucky England. :(

8. yellowm&M

And Quatar gets it for 2022 instead of the US :(

9. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

The US had it recent (92 was it not?)

Australia missed out. The only Continent still to have not hosted the world game.

10. Evil Flamingo

Evil Flamingo Banned Contributor

I'm pretty sure they gave it to Qatar because its the only country that begins with a Q. haha

11. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

UFC/Ultimate Fighter fans, who are you rooting for in the final fight? It was interesting to watch Brookins fight in the semis, up against someone who actually stood a chance...he's my pick for the win. I love that dude and his zen attitude.

12. Agreen

I love that Koscheck has as much chance in the Ultimate Fighter Finale as he does in his next fight :cool:

I'm rooting for Brookins. He's just a cool a dude, and I like his fighting style. This is actually an interesting matchup, as Johnson may have just enough wrestling to keep Brookins out of his element, and neither of them are especially good strikers. Brookins is the better fighter, but I could see Johnson grinding out a decision.

In less happy news, the Leafs were shutout 5-nil by the worst team in the league, running the shutout total to 6.

Mercifully I was spared watching this latest embarassment. Tonight was the annual Teddy Bear Toss for my local major-junior OHL team, the Oshawa Generals. I took a bear to the back of the head :p The Generals even won in overtime :eek:

13. Chudz

Chudz New Member

You know, Brookins comes across to me as a mellower, and more sane, version of Diego Sanchez. From my point of view, you can't help but like the guy. (Um, don't get me wrong, I love Diego Sanchez as a fighter, but some of his stuff has been way out there.) Plus, Brookins went how long with Miguel Torres? You know he has some staying power.

Now on to the second part. I really thought Johnson was over-hyped until his last fight with Phan. I thought Johnson was going to crumble in the second or third round, due to conditioning. But in that fight he gutted it out.

I have to say that I have some respect for Johnson, but I'm rooting for Brookins.

Now, on to more important matters. What do you think about the battle between the coaches?

I honestly think Kos has better striking than Georges. Maybe it's because GSP hasn't used his, aside from GnP lately. However, they've both been KTFO'd during their careers, so it should be interesting. Though, Kos dropped quicker than GSP.

And as much as I hate to say it, I'm picking Kos with a TKO in the second or fourth round. Hopefully, I am wrong. . . .

14. Agreen

Kos may have more power, but I think GSP has much better technique standing. But more importantly, he's a better wrestler, and that's what's going to matter in the fight. I think this will look a lot like the first fight, with GSP slowly gaining a more significant advantage as it goes along. I think it's going to be a decision.

15. Chudz

Chudz New Member

I completely hope you are right! But my fat-gut tells me that Kos is finally going to realize his dream.

16. Dante Dases

Pretty sure they gave it to Qatar because the Qatari bid played dirty and bribed the voting committee. And same goes for Russia. (Bitter? No. Cynical? Yes.)

But dear God: Qatar hosting a World Cup when they've never qualified, have only one city in the country, and temperatures are 50 degrees C at that time of year. Ahead of Australia, with its rich sporting culture and consistent show on the world football stage (allied with a good infrastructure, as proved by the 2000 Olympics).

And Qatar should never, ever host a World Cup ahead of England. We've won the thing, invented the sport and been world class at it for most of our history, being one of the 'Big Six' footballing nations. It is, as Didier Drogba would say, a disgrace, a ****ing disgrace.

FIFA are an embarrassment, a corrupt set of criminals without football at their heart.

17. Evil Flamingo

Evil Flamingo Banned Contributor

A justified and agreeable argument except for one thing...England didn't invent it. =/

But yes, I'll agree with you on pretty much everything else. I was just making a small joke before.

18. Dante Dases

Cheers for the support.

But yes we did invent it. The Cambridge Rules came about in 1848, the FA in 1863 and the FA Cup, the oldest and most prestigious (no matter what anyone says) club competition in the world, came along in 1872 before the Football League was formed in 1888. The version of the game codified by the Cambridge Rules (the roots of the modern game) was English, and it was a game played in the streets of English towns since the 11th century. Perhaps people elsewhere did indeed kick a football around, but they didn't invent the modern game.

19. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Ha, did you see the video for Australia's bid. With the kangaroo and all? Glad we only got one vote. It was pretty disgraceful. ;)

FIFA though.... Do we really need to say much.

After hearing about all the murders in Africa with the World Cup, it makes you wonder how much thought goes down with those boys. Not much, i can tell you.

20. Michael Daaboul

Michael Daaboul New Member

I agree Speedy and nice quote and avatar from Disturbed, top band! :)

21. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I was astounded by that as well. Qatar? QATAR?! Ahead of a country with better infrastructure, like, oh I don't know, THE UNITED STATES?! :mad: Or basically anywhere else? They've got to be crazy. I really wanted that World Cup for us. :( The US got so into soccer this past summer, if it came back, that would be great.

22. yellowm&M

Yeah i really don't get it either. I was so so so so so hoping the world cup would be here!! And if it wasn't here Australia would've been a great place for it to (though a lot harder for me to get to haha), but really, Quatar? The main thing that gets me is in the weather conditions that are unsafe and kind of impossible to play in-because it makes so much sense to hold a a world-class sports competion in unplayable conditions.

23. hiddennovelist

Ahhh, I can't believe you said that!!! :p

I think Koscheck is gonna get his *ss handed to him. When it all comes down to it, dude seems like he's far more interested in trash talk than actually putting in the work, and whether you like or dislike GSP (not you specifically, of course-anyone), you can't deny he's got insane discipline and focus. And he's a smart fighter. Koscheck is doomed.

24. Agreen

I've been thinking it over, and it occurs to me if Kos is able to stuff a few consecutive takedowns, he might be able to throw GSP off his game. In that event, we might see one of two approaches from GSP. Either he may try and work the cage to wear Kos down, or he could try striking from distance. On Kos's side, I think his best bet is to set the tone early with a quick takedown. Of course, Kos isn't always the wisest fighter and might try to keep it standing. GSP has way more ways he could win this fight, but it should come down to wrestling. If that's the case, we might know who's going to win very early on.

25. hiddennovelist

This is what I think is going to make the biggest difference. GSP thinks with his head. Koscheck seems to think with his ego.