The Sports Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gigi_GNR, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Packers win over the 49ers! A big win, too, and one that we definitely need. We need to pull ahead of da Bears, and ahead of other NFC teams to get a playoff spot. I don't think it's fair how a losing-record team could take a playoff spot away from us. Teams need to DESERVE their playoff spot, and if you have a losing record, you shouldn't get one. Simple as that.

This win made me very happy though, and I loved the uniforms. :)

2. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

Those gasps you may have heard are the death rattle of the loathsome 2010 San Diego Chargers, put out of my misery today by the valiant Oakland Raiders. Now, it would be a crime against humanity if the Raiders triumph was turned to the benefit of the deplorable Chefs, but fortunately Oakland still has another game against them. At the very least, the streak of 11+ loss seasons is over. Next target: 8-8. Gotta devalue that Patriots pick as much as possible :p

The TUF finale was okay, but not as good as Strikeforce. Nam Phan was straight up robbed, even by MMA standards that decision was shockingly bad. I wonder how many judges Leonard Garcia has on his payroll, he seems to have a few too many of this kind of decision go his way. The main event was good until the third round. Both fighters have a ton of potential and good skillsets, but they also both have glaring weaknesses. I'd like to see them drop to 145, and take some time to round out their games. They aren't ready for top competition yet, but with a lot of work they might get there.

3. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Meh, I could have seen the Nam fight going either way. I gave Nam round two, but both one and three could have gone to either fighter, IMO.

Haven't watched the main event yet, but it was interesting to see Brookins take his last fight all three rounds. He's really impressive with his submissions, but he doesn't have the greatest stamina when it comes to grinding out a fight.

4. Chudz

Chudz New Member

I had the Nam vs Garcia fight for Nam. But I'm still a huge Leonard Garcia fan. Props to him for taking the fight on such short notice. And I'm glad to see Brookins win the whole thing.

I still stand behind my prediction of Kos winning, in either two or four. However, I really want GSP to beat him like he doesn't belong there.

5. Agreen

Sad day: Josh McDaniels has been fired :( I for one loved the direction he was taking the Broncos.

6. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

Are we South Africa in disguise? Brilliant cricket to go 1-0 up in the series.

7. Gigi_GNR

Patriots 45, Jets 3. Gives me hope for next week (Packers at Lions, da Bears at the Pats), but also scares me a bit, given that we face them as well. No doubt that Tom Brady is one of the best QBs in this league, maybe even the best right now, and maybe even one of the best all-time.

(However, I am getting really sick of all the a**-kissing in sports. :rolleyes: )

8. Tessie

Tessie Contributor Contributor

Ha ha, I love your compliments about my QB. It goes along with everything I think. I am especially stoked that we won against the Jets. Here in Mass you know we have a thing against New York. :) Hope your Packers win this week!

9. Gigi_GNR

I've never been a big Brady fan, but it would be ridiculous to not recognize his immense talent. He still has quite a few years left, but I think he'd be a shoo-in for Canton when he retires. :)

Thank you! I hope we do too, and god do I hope you win next week (against da Bears). I hate the Bears with a burning passion, and we need a loss from them and a win from us to pull even in our division. We're facing the Lions, which in previous years would be an instant W, but this year they look pretty legit. They've put up immense effort in the first 2-3 quarters; the only problem they have is falling apart nearer to the end of the game. Definitely think this'll be a good game to watch! :)

10. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I have found that I can no longer watch an entire NFL game. It takes too long and there is too little to see. Every play is 5 seconds of action followed by 5 minutes of trying to figure out what happened. Scoring plays are worse, usually following this sequence: touchdown...replay of touchdown...second replay of touchdown...third replay of touchdown...extra point attempt...if missed, three replays of miss...break for commercials...kickoff...break for commercials...in-broadcast promos...back to game (maybe).

My only defense is to record a game and watch it later, which not only allows me to FF through all the commercials, it also allows me to zip past dead time for challenges, boring replays (I mean, I've seen two or three replays on a simple dropped pass!!), and endless babbling commentary (someone please take down Darryl Johnston...please!!). With aggressive FF-ing, I can get through a game that lasts 3:15 in a good 90 minutes.

Okay, I feel better, now.

11. Tessie

Yeah, good luck! I'm so happy over this past week's win. I don't like the Jets, and their coach was so lame when he made his comments after the game. But this makes up for our loss against the Colts. The superbowl suddenly seems nearer.

What? You don't always record the game? Come on, get with the program, that's the only way to do it nowadays. :D

I agree, though. I can't sit through a game real time. My father and brothers purposely tape the game when it starts at 1 and then turn it on when it's about 4. And he is a ranting yeller, so thank goodness for DVR. That way we get it over with and quickly.

You don't happen to be a Jets fan do you? :p

12. EdFromNY

The Jets are okay, and I don't root against them, but, no, I am a Giants fan, and have been since the days of Fran Tarkenton and Tucker Fredrickson.

13. Tessie

^ Good. That means we can still be mutual. :p

14. Northern Phil

Northern Phil Active Member

As a Newcastle United fan I'm not happy that Chris Hughton has been sacked and replaced with Alan Pardew.

I mean seriously what is the owner and chairman thinking. They've sacked a man who stabalised a sinking ship, won promotion in style and with pretty much the same squad that got relegated they've done very well this season.

They've brought in Alan Pardew who got sacked from a team two divisions down for producing a string of bad results. On the Sky Sports news website Alan Pardew is quoted as saying "I have always managed teams that have played attacking positive football, something I know the supporters here appreciate."

That is a very archaic way to play, if you look at the game against Chelsea where Newcastle earned a draw, they did that through a very composed defensive performance and they only attacked with a few players whilst everyone else sat behind the ball in anticipation of Chelsea's fine attacking prowess.

Newcastle have taken a massive step backwards and I think we will now struggle to stay up.

In case you don't know what I'm talking about, consider this joke - "Sacking Chris Hughton and appointing Alan Pardew is like divorcing Cheryl Cole and marrying Susan Boyle".

15. art

art Contributor Contributor

Sacking Chris Hughton and appointing Alan Pardew is like divorcing an untalented racist and and marrying a sweet tempered and capable songstress?

Is that what you mean, Phil?:)

Yep, shouldn't have been sacked, and if they were bent on hiring an Alan, it should have been Curbishley and not Pardew.

A proper football club but a sour taste still lingers from the treatment of Bobby Robson.

16. EdFromNY

I'm delighted to hear it. :D

17. Gigi_GNR

Colts broke their losing streak last night, but it was a very close game, 30-28 at the end. Manning had 319 yds and 2 TD, so he may be getting back on track after the past few interception-riddled games. However, the Titans have a losing record so, while not to discredit the Colts, we might not want to say they've snapped out of their apparent funk just yet. I think they will, though.

18. EdFromNY

Switching to hockey, the Rangers came back three times from one-goal deficits to beat Ottawa, 5-3. Not the best played game I've ever seen, but it was good to see Dubinsky score a goal after a 9-game drought. The Rangers are far from being the most talented bunch, but they work their socks off and so far have a winning record. However, they are team that is made to break your heart.

19. Tessie

Likewise :D

20. Agreen

Jeff Fisher gave the Colts the game. His decision to punt on 4th-1, with 4 minutes left, was indefensible. Manning did look better, but I think the Colts still have a lot of concerns. On the bright side, the Raiders will do them a huge favour this week when they crush the Jaguars :cool:

21. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

Controversy alert!

Storming match this afternoon. Absolutely storming. Town came from a goal down to beat table-topping Brighton 2-1 thanks to goals from Jordan Rhodes and Jamie McCombe.

Alex Smithies saved a first half penalty after Peter Clarke allegedly brought down Glenn Murray. For me, Clarke got the ball with his challenge, but it was made academic by Smithies getting down low to his right to clutch the ball gratefully. The England under-21 stopper had a superb game, and this was the crowning moment.

In the second half the impressive Murray put Brighton a goal up following a ball from Bennett, but Town hit back immediately through Jordan Rhodes' 12th of the campaign. Rhodes headed in from Gary Roberts' free-kick. The prolific striker is in outstanding form at the moment and his fourth goal in three games was just reward for another industrious display.

The goal gave Town a lift. Town dominated the game for much of its duration, and after the goal the pressure increased. And the reward came with six minutes to go. Jamie McCombe headed home via a deflection following Joey Gudjonsson's blocked drive.

The encounter was always tempestuous. Neither side gave nor asked quarter. Some challenges were slightly beyond the pale, but Brighton took the mick somewhat in the second half. With Peter Clarke already on a booking, he won the ball fairly in the middle of the park. The ref gave the free kick. SEVEN Brighton players crowded round the ref and waved cards. Rather than show some backbone and book the lot of them for being cheating scumbags, the ref backed away.

Greater controversy came at the death. One of Brighton's Uruguayan contingent allegedly racially abused Lee Peltier in the tunnel area, leading to some argy-bargy after the final whistle. If this is true, I want the player involved banned for life, because we don't want intolerant filth like that on the field.

22. Agreen

Awesome card tonight, I loved every single fight except the Dan Miller one from the prelims.

GSP is the best in the world. He's proven it with his ground game, and tonight he just lit Koscheck up standing. I wouldn't be surprised if Koscheck has several facial injuries, and I also think his leg is injured from all of the leg-kicks. So he deserves credit for not taking the easy way out and fighting on, even though it probably should have been stopped. I can't stand the guy, but you have to respect his toughness. But of course the story of the night is GSP's dominance. I can't wait to cheer him live in Toronto :D

The undercard delivered a whole lot more than I expected. Great fight from Jim Miller, he got the kneebar locked in and cranked a bad angle really fast, I have to give him submission of the fight. Bocek's was great as well though.

Danzig actually looked really good tonight, although Stevenson didn't help himself- his momentum carried him right into the punch. He was down, stiff, for so long it was a little frightening.

For fight of the night, I'm torn between Thiago Alves's fight, and Riddle/Pierson. Alves had more technique and skill involved, but Riddle/Pierson was back and forth, and just an epic fight. Hopefully Dana White gives bonuses to all four fighters :p

23. Chudz

Chudz New Member

Yah, I was really wondering if they were going to call it because of Kos' eye. But Georges won another decision. Thankfully it was using his stand-up this time. I'm glad my prediction of Kos winning by TKO in rounds two or four didn't pan out.

Did anyone else think Georges looked physically different than usual?

I watched an interview with Kos on Inside MMA last Friday, and it was strange the way he mentioned that he would fight whether he was injured or sick, etc. He then proceeded to sniffle and cough a number of times through the rest of the interview. I actually wondered if he was in good health. Of course, this could just be another Kos show, like the phantom eye-pokes, but oh well. Anyway, not to take anything away from GSP.

And that Jim Miller submission was pretty darn awesome.

Plus, what happened to Struve's opponent? He seemed like all was well until he got mounted and then he just gave up. . . .

Also a big grats to Danzig. Though it kind of suxxorz to see Joe Daddy lose again. He is, after all, a nice guy.

And I'll close by saying, who is left for GSP to fight at 170lbs? Do you think he'll finally move up in weight?

24. Agreen

In the post-fight press conference GSP said he's been adding muscle mass, and is now up to around 190 pounds. He said if he goes up to 185, he wants to be at least 200, which will still make him smaller than his training partners in that weight class. I don't think he should, he's a natural welterweight. A few years ago people thought that Hughes and Franklin had no one left to challenge, and should fight each other, and well... Challengers will emerge, it's just a matter of keeping GSP busy until then. I think his next fight should be against Shields. In Toronto. I don't like Shields's chances.

edit: Dana White told one Joe Ferraro of Sportsnet that he's not cutting Stevenson. He also is looking at Cain/Dos Santos as one of the fights for the Toronto card.

25. Gigi_GNR

Giants/Vikings game was moved to Monday, and their stadium roof collapsed under the weight of the blizzard we are now currently snowed in from. (We have gotten about 8 in of snow so far here, it's freezing and the driving is terrifying, we couldn't see down any street! :eek: )

I've always hated the Metrodome, and probably always will. It's an ugly, overly loud and obnoxious stadium (that HORN :mad: ), plus it's incredibly stupid to have an INFLATABLE ROOF in a place that gets such heavy snow. The game will probably be moved to Detroit or Indy from what I've heard.

ETA: Yeah, they moved the game to Detroit. Tickets are free and season-ticket holders that can get there get preferred seating. I wish we had season tickets, but 81,000 names on the list for them means we won't get ours anytime soon.