The Sports Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gigi_GNR, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

Just watched the highlights from Saturday's match back. I wondered what possessed Jordan Rhodes to celebrate the second goal like a madman in front of Glenn Murray, because it's completely out of character for the lad. Closer viewing of JR's run into the danger zone showed him being tugged back by Murray - who then lamps him round the face. No wonder JR went a bit nuts in front of him.

It's also what the scuffle at the end of the game was about. Murray tried to get at Rhodes and it all kicked off. In that scuffle, someone said something to Lee Peltier (from the footage I've seen, I have an idea who).

And the aftermath is just as good. Lee Clark's criticised Gus Poyet for dancing up and down the touchline waving imaginary cards and getting his team to intimidate the ref. So Poyet's joined battle and accused the whole of Huddersfield Town of being racist English hypocrites.

2. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

That loss was HUGE. Absolutely awful. We needed -- NEEDED -- to win this, and we didn't. Rodgers getting knocked out scares me more than anything else has this season. Concussions, especially repeat ones, are absolutely terrifying. I hope that he'll be all right -- not just for next week, or the rest of the season, but for the rest of his playing career and life... This kind of injury can be serious. I hope he'll be okay. :(

Meanwhile, Flynn was mediocre. He made some plays that counted, converting downs when it mattered. However, he threw an interception in the red zone, and instead of running it on 4th and 1, or trying to convert so we'd have more downs to work with, he goes for it and overthrows Jennings. That was McCarthy's fault as well, what a horrible call to make, especially with an inexperienced backup QB. We had a chance to get the TD at the end of the game, and we didn't. Ridiculous play calling and Flynn's inexperience really got us, as well as not being able to stop the Lions' run.

The only good thing about this is that the Bears lost. That keeps us within one game of them in the division, but our playoff chances are slim. We're chasing 3 teams for the 2 NFC wildcard spots. It's still possible, but we have to

1) win in New England (which is a scary prospect, considering they're at home, on a roll and we're injured with many uncertainties), OR
    2) have the Bears lose to the Vikings next week, OR
    3) have Tampa lose to Detroit or Seattle, OR
    4) have the Saints lose their last three games (Ravens, Falcons, Buccaneers).

If we lose in NE, we can still win the division at 10-6, but we need the Bears to lose to the Vikings and we need to win against them at the end of the season to even have a chance. We need help, and if we lose at NE, we'll need HUGE help. It would also be good if the Giants lose to the Vikings tonight, to give us a chance. The Saints have a tough schedule ahead, so it's possible they could lose 3 games. Tampa could also lose, but they'll be at home, so it's more doubtful.

Basically, our best shot is having the Bears lose.

At this point I'm clinging to every last shred of hope. I just wish our chances weren't so slim. :(

3. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

Incredible Monday Night Footbal game tonight. I almost turned it off after the Ravens' kickoff return td to start the 2nd half, but I'm glad I didn't.

Just before overtime I told my brother "The only way this game can end is a pick-6," and sure enough... The Ravens better be concerned with their defense, they almost gave this game away, and towards the end they looked as gassed as a bad UFC heavyweight past the first round.

Speaking of the UFC, Koscheck suffered an orbital bone fracture in the first round. He couldn't even fly home because there was a risk to his eye due to the swelling. By the 4th I was sure he had the injury, but that it was this severe and he still finished the fight is unbelievable. And a pretty bad reflection on the ringside doctors. I know no one wants to see a fight end by doctor stoppage, but seriously the health of the fighters has to factor in there. Just asking him, "Can you see?" accomplishes nothing, especially when if they do say they can't see, they're roasted for being quitters and, in less polite terms, have their toughness questioned.

4. Gigi_GNR

I was amazed at how that game ended. To come back like the Texans did, only to get intercepted.... yikes.

And as for the other Mondy night game, I was absolutely stunned that Favre didn't play. I was shocked out of my mind. He has never not played in my entire LIFETIME. I was born in '95, and he has never missed a game in that span. Seeing Favre on the sideline in street clothes, not taking the first snap, was almost like a mirage. It was surreal.

I just wish he hadn't come back this season, or had all the drama in the first place. He hasn't destroyed his legacy, but he's tarnished it with all the drama and probably ending his career on this awful season. The last pass he may have thrown with the Vikings and in the NFL is an interception against the Bills with a bad hit. Hopefully he can find peace, get healthy and pick up the pieces again. No matter what's happened these past years, he's still a legend.

5. Dante Dases

Que sera sera!
    Whatever will be will be!
    We're going to WEMBLEY!
    Que sera sera!

Town are just two games from Wembley. Into the Northern Area Final of the Johnstones Paint Trophy where we'll face Carlisle over two legs. We won 2-0 at Tranmere last night thanks to a Jordan Rhodes brace and Alex Smithies' penalty save.

6. Agreen

The main event of tonight's WEC was special. I've seen hundreds of MMA fights. Henderson/Pettis is the best of them. If you didn't see it, words fail me in trying to describe it- every second on the feet someone was being chased, or countering. On the ground, positions were being fought for, won, and reversed. Both men came close on several occasions to closing out the fight in just about every manner possible. Both of them held the opponent's back for a stretch of at least two minutes. The craziest thing is the fight just kept getting better the longer it went, until the 5th round which was just, to use an overused word that applies perfectly in this situation, epic.

And then in the final minute, Pettis jumped off the cage and landed a flying, spinning, head kick. I've never seen anything like it. The craziest thing about that move is Henderson, though badly hurt, wasn't knocked out. But it was enough to clinch the 5th round, and give Pettis the belt. Not sure how much of a chance he has against either Maynard or Edgar, but I'll be rooting for him. If he somehow wins, I hope his first defense is a rematch against Henderson.

Sad as I am to see the WEC go, I don't think it could have ever topped this fight. I don't think the UFC can either. It literally needs to be seen to be believed. Part of me still doesn't believe it- I'll try to find a .gif of the cage kick later.

edit: From Bloody Elbow: [​IMG]

7. Chudz

Chudz New Member

That was a great fight. And the kick was pretty spectacular. Every time I've seen Pettis fight, he's surprised me with some of the moves that he's used. Plus he said he has other surprising moves that he's practiced. So I'm definitely looking forward to seeing him fight to unify the title.

Edgar vs Pettis sounds like a crazy stand-up fight. And if Maynard is the champ, I think he'll be better able to nullify Pettis' ground game than Henderson was. Either way, it's a win for the company to bring Pettis, Henderson, and Cerrone into the UFC.

Speaking of Cerrone, the first Henderson vs Cerrone fight was pretty awesome as well.

And a Cruz vs Faber fight would definitely be hype-able for a pay-per-view.

8. Agreen

Faber/Cruz will definitely be a headliner, probably for the next show in California.

I don't think Pettis is ready for either Edgar or Maynard, but he has a ton of potential. I think for the time being he'll be a solid lw in the UFC, and in a few years he'll be ready to seriously contend for a title. Henderson will stick around for a while as well. But I'm curious to see how Cerrone is going to do- he's a very exciting fighter, and the company seems to love him, but I don't think he has as much potential as Pettis. Whether he sticks around in the long term or not, we should get a few more exciting fights from him.

Apparently the prelims were excellent last night. Too bad the rest of the main card went so long (the main event could have been 10 rounds and I wouldn't have complained) that no prelims were shown. Varner lost again, early. I don't think he's going to make it over to the UFC.

But back to Pettis/Henderson, obviously that kick is going to be what everyone remembers. It was already an excellent fight before then. I had it 2-2 going into the fifth, and though I thought Pettis was ahead, there was still enough time for Henderson to turn it around. That just makes the kick even more impressive- that he had the courage and skill to throw it, and that he landed it.

9. Gigi_GNR

I was amazed at the Giants/Eagles game today. It looked over and done with in the 2nd half, but the Eagles put together an absolutely astounding rally and came out with the win. My dad and I were amazed. This is good for us; the Giants losing gives the Packers a shred more of hope to reach the playoffs.

10. Agreen

Raiders getting robbed. NFL officiating is a joke.

edit: At least they still won. Not surprisingly, Tebow is not an NFL calibre qb- a dangerous scrambler early on, but the longer the Raiders played against him, and the more looks they got, the more his limited range of skills was displayed and they completely shut him down in the 4th quarter. The Raiders dominated the line of scrimmage and overpowered the Broncos. Aside from some unfathomable calls from the refs (no call on the holding for Tebow's touchdown run, and the illegal formation call which robbed the Raiders of a touchdown even though the formation was actually legal especially) this was a thoroughly satisfying game- every time the Broncos lose it's a good game, and every time the Raiders win it's a great game, so put them together and it is perfect. Season sweep is complete. The Raiders still have an outside chance at the playoffs, but I'll settle for an 8-8 record.

11. Gigi_GNR

Packers lost to the Patriots last night, but just barely. Starting the game with an onside kick was brilliant by McCarthy, especially since he almost never pulls plays like that. Flynn played excellently for his first NFL start, and one with enormous pressure at that. 3 touchdowns against the Patriots is something to be proud of. I'm hugely proud of our whole team; we put up one hell of a fight against arguably the best team in football. I only wish we had intercepted Brady -- my heart almost stopped on the times when we almost did.

Flynn (and McCarthy too) had the game-killing mistake at the end of the game, when it took forever for Flynn to call a play and get everyone into position. Cris Collinsworth happened to say that "Rodgers would have had a play there", and I agree 100%. Flynn is good, much better than I expected and with even more training would be a top-notch starting QB for someone, but in this game he made mistakes that Rodgers wouldn't have, and it was difficult to resist comparing the two throughout the game. I'm proud of him, but there were some ridiculous mistakes on McCarthy's part and on his. McCarthy's not really endearing himself to me or any other Packer fan recently... It's good to know, however, that we can trust Flynn to take over the team and do it well.

If we win the final two games of the season, we have a chance at the wildcard playoff spot. This makes me happy. :D

12. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I saw the game; it was a good one, Gi. I was rooting for the Pack too, although I had my doubts, especially with Rogers out of the game. But I have to remind myself that every team is not like the Colts ( :p ) --for most teams, second string QBs can still manage well, and Flynn did a great job.

Colts game had a few referee calls that I was so angry with, but it was nothing like the Jets game last Monday. At least we still won and have a shot at the playoffs...

13. Agreen

Yeah, the only bad thing about last night's game was the ending and final score. They spent the timeout on the wrong play. Flynn played well though, which is a good thing given the Packers' offensive line and Rodgers' prior injury problems.

14. Gigi_GNR

We should have Rodgers back for the game against the Giants, which is a huge game and one we definitely need to win.

15. Dante Dases

Which am I more excited about, Christmas or Boxing Day? Probably the latter, because it's a chance to welcome back the incredible dugout leaner himself, Mick Wadsworth.

All together now:

Miiiiicky Wadsworth, you're a wanker, you're a wanker!

16. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

That could be pretty difficult. The Giants probably want to make an example out of someone after what the Eagles did to them.

So far the Panthers are keeping it close with the Steelers. Come on Steve Smith.

17. Agreen

It's not looking good- the Panthers defense is playing decent, but their offense is worse than useless.

So it's December 23rd, everyone knows what that means: Just 3 more days until the World Junior Hockey Championships!

This year, for the first time in over half a decade, Canada do not come in as defending champions. They are also in a different pool than defending champions and hosts, Team USA, so unfortunately there won't be another New Year's Eve classic again this year. As with last year, the North American teams are the favourites, and it wouldn't be a surprise if they met in the finals again. If they do, we can only hope the result will be a reversal of last year.

18. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I just watched the NY Rangers in a "shootout" with Tampa Bay, and it went ten rounds until someone got three goals. I'm sorry, but this is an incredibly stupid way to settle a hockey game (and, yes, I say that when the Rangers win them, too).

19. Agreen

I hate the shootout. Not just because the Leafs are terrible at them. It's like deciding a football game with a longest punt competition.

20. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

Well, so much for the Panthers hanging in there. Here's hope the Browns play well... next week. ;)

21. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Exactly.

22. Gigi_GNR

Both teams are going to be playing desperate, but I'd put my money on the Pack any day, and not only because I root for them. :p Their entire season depends on this game. The Giants are reeling from last week's game, but the Packers are fighting for a playoff spot. Big Blue is desperate, but we're more so.

23. Agreen

The early games have been garbage. The only game I'm getting is Bills-Patriots, and the Titans aren't even putting forth a modicum of effort. I wish I'd just slept in.

24. Jonalexher

Jonalexher New Member

Anybody watch Lakers vs The Heat?

25. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

My roommate is a big basketball fan, so he spent almost all of yesterday watching basketball. I watched the last half of the Lakers/Heat game. Lebron did incredibly well. Wade and Bosh did good also. Kobe not so much.