The struggle is real

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lea`Brooks, Dec 28, 2016.

1. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Indeed - I had one guy tell me i was interfering with his 5th amendment rights once. I told him he was welcome to the right to not incriminate himself further and then banned him so he didn't have a chance

The one that still puzzles me is the american who told me that i was a "stupid limey who should remember the war of 1812" - many years later i'm still not sure what his point was as assuming he was referring to Britain vs America (rather than France vs Russia) Britain won the war of 1812 (the defence of Canada).

I am forced to assume that he meant the war of 1783, but who knows what goes on in their heads

jannert likes this.
  2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I've written five difference responses that are all apologist in nature and erased all of them. All I can say is that the person in question is to us as "Little Englanders" are to you. :bigoops: We've all got those amongst us that make us say "I'm not with them". :whistle:

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Lots of people in the U.S. like to pretend their 1st Amendment rights are being violated when they're not. It's a common pastime :)

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

No worries - I have lots of American friends so I'm not assuming this tosspot is typical or representative. I just wondered if you had any thoughts on what happened in 1812 that I should remember :D (Maybe he means I shouldn't attack Russia in the winter.. who knows)

I'm not surprised - over here you get people saying "you is violating my constitutional right" then getting butt hurt when its pointed out that we don't actually have a written constitution per se

jannert likes this.
  5. Wreybies

Yep. Start explaining the difference between public and private venue and peoples' eyes glaze over with the inconvenience of facts.

Iain Aschendale and Steerpike like this.
  6. Wreybies

And be that the case, yeah, probably good advice. I hear the Finns are really the only ones who are good at this. Finns are real-world White Walkers. ;)

7. big soft moose

Didn't the Russians attack them rather than the other way arround ? But yes attacking the Finns is never a good idea (although i see that mad bad vlad says that Finland actually belongs to Russia because granting its independence in 1917 was an act of treason against the motherland... good luck with that)

8. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Some Americans are taught that they won the War of 1812. Appalling, but true. (I went to university with some of them - in Canada. During a Canadian History lecture, I saw them getting more and more confused, and the truth eventually came out...)

So, possibly he was one of those misinformed sprogs?

jannert likes this.
  9. Wreybies

I think in some places in my country we're taught that we won every war. All of them. Nubia vs. Egypt, we won that. ;)

BayView likes this.
  10. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

Jedi vs Sith. Won that too. :superyesh:

11. Wreybies

Atlantis vs. Hy-Brasil. We owned that. Pfft, I was there. Don't believe me? Don't believe me? Come at me, bro! Come on!

:-D

12. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    You cunning linguist, you... o_O

13. big soft moose

You'd think that the presence of that big country they don't own to the north of them would be a fairly large clue that they didn't. :D

BayView likes this.
  14. big soft moose

Yep a really good way to piss of the elderly British is to tell them about how "America won ww2" as my grandad used to say "we probably couldn't have won it without you, but without us it would have been over in 1939"

jannert and BayView like this.
  15. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

From what I remember (and it has been a while) there is disagreement in the U.S. over whether the U.S. had any intention of taking the land, or simply found it necessary to fight Britain there. In any event, the land war wasn't won by the U.S., though arguably the war at sea was different.

16. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Sometimes I see a little frost on the screen and think @Wreybies has breathed on me.

17. big soft moose

Indeed the British found it difficult to match the new american frigates which mounted 42 or 46 guns in 18lb in contrast to the British 36 12lb guns , until either new frigates were built, american ships were captured or small 4th rates were cut down from liners to large frigates.

Its also worth noting that the american crews were volunteers which probably gave them an edge over pressed men (and the Americans had a lot of help from the french both directly and because the Royal Navy were also fighting the french elsewhere)

18. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Unfortunately true in the Deep South. My public schools taught us that America is the #1 country, the absolute best EVAH and we won every single war BY OURSELVES WITH NO HELP AT ALL, and oh did I mention EPIC!?

There's being proud of the good things your country has done, and there's painting a giant overly-patriotic mark over it.

19. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

I'm pretty proud that we haven't colonized and impoverished as many countries as Britain has...