'The Surrenderer'. What does this character title make you think of?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by jccfuture, Feb 17, 2015.

1. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

That's fiction. Old-fashioned fiction. Bad old-fashioned fiction. If she's resisting that love, that love should go away. No means no, and all that.

jccfuture likes this.
  2. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

Ahem, 50 Shades...

3. ChickenFreak

Bad old-fashioned fiction. :) I didn't say that no one was writing it any more.

4. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

I'm sure some of us from this very forum know from personal experience that that's not necessarily true. Basically, you're speaking for yourself.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    Boger likes this.
  5. ChickenFreak

What on earth are you talking about?

6. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

The Surrender is the evil henchmen to the super villain/meta human The Dominator, both of them wear latex and BDSM themed costume. The Surrender dresses like a gimp and refers to The Dominator as "Master."

The Surrender's powers are to take massive amounts of punishments and he gets stronger with the more damage that is inflicted on him. He's great for absorbing punishment. The Dominator grows more vicious and brutal with the more pain he inflicts on The Surrender, innocent people and of course the heroes and what not.

Alright

I went with a comic book style angle XD since everybody else did the coward thing.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    Renee J and jccfuture like this.
  7. Boger

Boger Senior Member

The bear is loose.

8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

Call me gullible, but I've always tended to believe that people say what they mean.

9. Wynter

Wynter Active Member

I feel like it could be someone who's given up, not just in terms of conflict but also maybe philosophically. The kind of guy who doesn't try to fight against his fate, or for his own life even, he who has given up or been broken in every way shape or form with no hope of recovery.

jccfuture likes this.
  10. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I think the kind of romantic surrender your talking about isn't really all that gender based, at least in the romances I've read. Often both the man and the woman resist love or lust, but eventually both give in. In older books, I think there WAS a dichotomy, with the woman fighting to resist lust (the male as seducer) and the man fighting to resist love (b/c he wanted to just seduce, not bond). But I haven't seen that nearly as much anymore, and often I see a reversal of the two, the woman who's just looking for fun and the man who wants her to settle down and surrender to love.

jccfuture likes this.
  11. jccfuture

jccfuture New Member

I think you are probably right, I don't read many romances to be honest but they sound like they are a lot better than they were! Any suggestions?

I wonder if fiction is a way of getting rid of the remnants of reductive gendered thinking, or if it reflects changes happening more generally?

Lots to think about from everyone, thank-you all.

12. Yume No Okami

Yume No Okami Member

13. Lillian Nightingale

Lillian Nightingale New Member

Maybe someone who works as an assassin, law enforcement, or a protester. Basically someone who does something bad or good to/for other people and doesn't deny and is proud of doing said things.