The Tarnished City

Discussion in 'Role Play' started by halisme, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Erik-the-Enchanter! Banned Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Love Poems
    Merrique

"Please forgive me."

"Water under the bridge," Merrique murmured softly, stroking Mix's back comfortingly. "We all do things we regret. But I know you can do better. You've got a whole lotta power, and let me tell you, now that I've been drained of mine, we're gonna need everything you've got." Merrique laughed in her head. Wasn't it funny that she was the one who had lost her powers, and yet she was comforting someone else? But Merrique truly didn't mind. Hugging Mix helped her as much as it helped Mix.

"Let's get inside, dearie," Merrique suggested. "I'm as tired as the day is long." She stood elegantly, still holding onto Mix, and headed for the tent. She gave Vetiver a look when they headed inside and told him, "The fighting is done with, okay?" But she couldn't help from grinning at the tall sorcerer. Vetiver was cold, stuck-up, and just plain rude at times, but he wasn't irrational, and she knew he wouldn't pick another fight with Mix. Merrique also guessed that Mix was quite exhausted from all the fireworks she had displayed and probably couldn't cast any serious spells until she got some sleep.

Sleep, Merrique thought, letting out a huge, jaw-splitting yawn. Oh my, I could use some sleep.

2. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

A voice, a hazy whisper, little more than a breath on the night wind. "Yes, you are suitable."
    The city flashed into his mind again, as if on the parapet and looking out over it again, the fog missing. To the west was a thick forest, the wood like ash with little life showing. Every so often a buiding would pop up from beneath the wood, normally a shack or lodge, though in one case an actual house.
    The centre of the city was a cathedral, carved of pale marble and lined with depictions of the gods and long forgotten saints. The windows were stained glass, once again showing the deities, this time overlooking the world.
    To the east, was a necropolis, row after row of grave interspersed with monuments and obelisks, a set of stairs in the centre leading to the catacombs bellow. The vision focused in on one of the graves, the words Illia Tu'Monte carved upon it. After a moment it focused again, the view forcing its way through the earth to show the hand of a corpse, a small silver band around one finger.
    "Retrieve the ring. Seek The First Scholar."

3. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

It seemed like the heat of the fighting has finally waried down. Jade was tired, and yet there were issues unresolved just yet. "I will take first watch," she said, and turned towards Mixine. "Will you accompany me?" Then she whispered, in the rough languadge of the Marshes, that only the Tent will understand. "I need to talk to you." It felt strange comkng out of her mouth, like writing with her left hand. It had been too long, Jade realised.

4. Inks

Inks Senior Member

Mixine paused when she heard Jade's words and stiffened up. Stopping in her tracks, she gulped and looked at Merrique, "I... I cannot... Not yet. Take Mahtr. I will stand watch."

She longed to rest and though Merrique was being kind to her, Mixine would not be able to sleep. If not for her condition, she would oppose to sleeping under the same tent as a man or at least taking refuge in the domain of Vetiver. As she broke away from Merrique's side, Mixine shook and realized how difficult it was to leave the warmth of another. If not for Jade's words, she would have tried to hold Merrique all night. Mixine bent down and picke up the metal rod before sheathing. She moved towards Jade and answered normally, "Yes, I will."

She slipped under her pile of gear and picking it up again as she moved slowly towards Jade. A flick of her arm tossed the smiling white mask to the rear basket, the other personality attached to it mocked and insulted her until it left her fingers. As she approached Jade, only then did she respond in her native tongue, "Ask and know. My life is yours tonight."

With this, Mixine was submitted herself to Jade's care, she smiled weakly and brushed away her tears. The last time she had cried like this was when she had to bury her master. The flow of tears were difficult to stop, but Mixine tried as best a she could. She was fragile and weak, but it was the first time she really had to face it like this. She whispered to Jade in the same Brackenmarsh tongue, "Lead the way."

5. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

Without her mask, and her eyes streaming with tears, Mix suddenly appeared human, vulnerably so. Seeing her in such a state, Jade knew she was selfish. And yet, she needed to speak to somebody, one who knew of the Muse, and tbe Marshes, and also, she wanted to.

"You ran from the Muse, did you not?" Jade asked. "How did you manage that? And when?" She looked intently at the girl's face. In such am emotionally volnerable state, Jade was pretty certain she would be able to tell if the girl was lying.

6. Bewitched

Bewitched Banned

Vetiver & Acai

Vetiver took off his satchel once he was inside the tent, giving it to Acai. "Take this," he said crisply. With a casual wave of his hand, Vetiver sent an orb of purple light floating up to the pinnacle of the tent. The purple orb cast everything in sharp relief as it rotated in place, burning steadily. "Just a werelight. A magical light. I hope you at least know what that is. I can't teach you everything."

"Of course I know what that is, I ain't stupid," Acai grumbled. He held the satchel delicately, like he was afraid it might explode if he handled it too roughly. "I was taught by the village witch, Magpie. She was really mean, but she taught me many things...even if I can't use everything she told me."

"What do you mean, 'you can't use everything she told you'?" Vetiver continued to strip off his purple cape, flinging it into the air, and the cape magically folded itself and levitated into a corner of the tent. He also kicked off his knee-high leather boots and they marched across the tent and stood still next to the cape. Lastly, he unbuckled his leather belt, but he didn't cast it aside. He sat cross-legged on the ground and motioned for Acai to join him.

Acai quickly sat down. "Um, I meant that I'm, well, I'm not a powerful big-time sorcerer like you and Merrique...or like Merrique used ta be, I mean." He cleared his throat and went on. "I can barely make a werelight, it always flickers and goes out after a while. And I definitely can't do nothing fancy, like throw things and make them go where I want them to go, or make my shoes walked by themselves." He looked down at his beat-up old brown boots and frowned deeply, as if it was somehow their fault that he was a mediocre sorcerer.

"Yes, I can tell that you are not on my level," Vetiver commented dryly. He even gave Acai a crooked grin, which was rare, considering everything annoyed Vetiver. "At least you have rudimentary knowledge of the Mystical Arts. Now, enough frivolous chit-chat. Lets get to work. I have things to show you." Vetiver opened all the pockets on his belt and took out the relics that were stored there: the long black wand, a small carved statue of a robed woman, a silver-framed black mirror, and a large brass bell with a polished wooden handle.

Vetiver continued to speak. "These are my family's relics, passed down from generation to generation. The Black Wand is the most flashy, it shoots beams of magical power. This little statue here is an effigy of the Summer Queen; it is a Fascinator. I can use it to draw the attention of someone and make them stare at it, and it will be extremely hard for them to look away. Especially if I anoint it with sandalwood oil, which will make the enchantment even stronger. Any questions or concerns, so far?"

Acai shook his head vigorously, eager for Vetiver to keep talking. The boy was awestruck. He had never been this close to relics and he was entranced. "And what use is a black mirror?" Acai reached out and touched the silver frame of the mirror with the tip of his forefinger. "You can't even see your own reflection in it!"

"This mirror is for scrying," Vetiver said sharply. He slapped Acai's hand away from the mirror and wiped the frame with a black silk handkerchief where he had touched it. "And this..." Vetiver picked up the brass bell, but it didn't ring. He held it out in Acai's face so he could see that the clapper in the bell was covered in a leather sheath to keep it from making noise. "This is the Summoning Bell. Probably the most powerful of all my relics. With it, I can call on any person or animal to come to me, even if they are miles and miles away. Of course, they can resist the call, and it doesn't work as well on people with strong mental powers."

"And now for my rings," Vetiver went on. He gently put down the Summoning Bell and held up his bejeweled fingers. "Each one enhances certain types of magick. As you saw earlier, I can use the moonstone to enhance my purifying spells, such as banishing dirt and grit. But the main power comes from me; without these rings I would still be a great sorcerer, but with them I don't tire myself so quickly." He touched the gold hand amulet hanging from a thick gold chain around his neck. "And this is a protection amulet. It can deflect small curses and jinxes, but it is not inexhaustible. I've been told that the hand will close and turn black when it is used up."

Acai frowned with confusion. "Wait...if you have all these fancy thingamabobs, then why are you going to Para'Ven? And you're already a great sorcerer, like you said. So why do you need to become more powerful?"

"Because, I want to become immortal." Without waiting for Acai's response, Vetiver waved his hands and all of his relics packed themselves back into his belt, and then the belt levitated into the corner to lay on top of his cape. Vetiver whispered a protection spell and a bubble of dark purple magic appeared around his belongings. Then he found a soft spot near his things and laid down. When Merrique entered the tent, he simply said, "Get some rest, before we have to fight some other hellish creature." And then he went to sleep.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  7. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    Merrique

"Get some rest, before we have to fight some other hellish creature."

Merrique snorted and grinned slightly. "Next time, I'm going for the jugular." She saw the glowing purple bubble that Vetiver had cast around his posessions and she stopped in her tracks and stared at it. Then she realized everything was lit by an eerie purple light and she looked up at the werelight that floated above. Magic. I lost my magic. Merrique sighed and found a spot not far from Vetiver to lay down. She used her crimson cloak as a cover, wrapping herself in it and pulling the hood over her head. She fell asleep immediately.

8. Inks

Inks Senior Member

"You ran from the Muse, did you not?" Jade asked. "How did you manage that? And when?" She looked intently at the girl's face. In such am emotionally vulnerable state, Jade was pretty certain she would be able to tell if the girl was lying.

Mixine tensed up immediately the instant she heard of the Muse. Her eyes widened before she closed them and clenched her fists, before staring at Jade with more shame than sorrow, "I am an oukin. One who hid. I was needed by my father and hidden by my master. When she died... I ran from men like Vetiver. It was six months ago, but now it hurts to run. I cannot run anymore."

"I hoped this land would be my new home. So much for a shop and a life of quiet peace." Mixine pulled back and giggled, "Our language... it is nice to speak it again. Away from paradise, we have only each other it seems. At least you are familiar with the concept of the watch. You trust them with your life?"

Mixine did not trust anyone, but knew that Jade likely did not either. The fools who slept risked everything, yet she decided to announce this distrust to Jade without soiling her native tongue, "If you are her agent, make it quick. I will not fight it... not this night."

Mixine drew a line with her thumb across her neck and stretched out her neck while doing so. There was little safety in a group like this when it came to sleeping, there was more to fear within than outside its confines. She was not lying to Jade about anything and really did not seem to care whether or not she would wake in the morning. She did not know if her mere contact had put everyone at risk, but it was too late for regrets. Mixine slumped down and laid on the ground and closed her eyes. She remained awake and alert for she really could not sleep even if she wanted to. Her body would not relax enough for that.

9. BrandonrockstheAM

BrandonrockstheAM Active Member

Marcus's mind left the physical completely, the nightmare removing all of it from his body, and he flew into the realm of his mind. Streaks of blue flew across the strange globe where nothing but everything existed, all at once. Henry laughed... Kent's arm... Merrique's reaction to the vision... sitting by Jade... Mixine's threatening... all of those floated around endlessly around him.

Everything was pushed aside, and a faint glimmer of light opened up a vision beneath him, and Marcus gazed with an eagle's eye view onto the city from an inestimable distance up from where he had fallen asleep. He saw their small encampment to the south of the vision... and the rest of the city with crystal clear clarity.

To the west was a heavily wooded area... just like he had sighted before. However, he could see is in much better detail now. The trees were mostly ashes... and there was a small house there too, as well as many different shacks and lesser buildings spread seemingly randomly throughout the forest... There were people living there, as he could see smoke coming out of some of the small buildings.

To the east lay a depressing necropolis, row after row of deadly graves interspersed with monuments and obelisks of impressive size and scale, with various inscriptions and dates graven onto them. In the center of this area lay a set of stairs leading down into a darkness even the vision couldn't penetrate.

In the center of the entire city was a magnificent marble cathedral, with figures of beings, presumably powerful gods and such, carved into the walls in wholly impressive acts of construction.

The vision focused in on one of the graves, the words Illia Tu'Monte carved upon it. After a moment it focused again, the view forcing its way through the earth to show the hand of a corpse, a withered, disgusting affair, a small silver band around one finger.

He heard a voice echo through his mind, in a powerful, omnipresent voice. "Retrieve the ring. Seek the First Scholar." Then the voice stopped, faded, and the vision remained, standing still with an eagle's eye vision of the city. Marcus tried to look North, and couldn't see much, the central cathedral obscuring the view.

Then he remembered the books he had read; the books given to him by his father. Of a world with 3 gods... each having domain over the city. He knew Marius had control over the North... but he could not remember who held East and West, between Relatus and Tynivia. He guessed that Relatus held the east because of the gravestones and deathly imagery, while Tynivia held the west, because of the ashen trees and the houses. He should've read these stories more carefully than he had... A dead figure with a ring in the east... Wait... didn't Tynivia hold control over east? Marcus was confused.

He swam through this vision, counting the gravestones, making sure he knew which was the one that holds the ring. Then, when he got there in this dream state, he hesitated. Who had sent him this vision, this premonition? Was it smart to obey? Was it a message from some all-powerful being concerned for his wellfare? Or was it from some sorcerer planning on using the group for their own group?

Soon, the vision faded to black, and so did Marcus's consciousness. There were no more dreams. Just the cool, peaceful blackness of sleep.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  10. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

Jade laughed out loud, "How different we are, you and I. My powers were tresured by my family, they were likely to give me away, but as you saw, hiding is something I m familiar with. You seek peace, I fleed the quiet and dull life in the Marshes, so many years ago. You will not kill to save your life, I was about to announce that should you be one of her agents, I will not hesitate to slit your throat at night."

She fell silent for a while, then continued, in a more serious tone, "And yet, we are similar. We are both fugitives, trusting nobody. We do not casually throw our lives away like these fools. Though maybe I shouldn't have fleed. We need to form kind of trust in this city, and I think by the time this quest ends we will need to fight for our lives, I hope by then you'll be up for it, because I will not be throwing my life for you or anyone else." She then laughed again, a real, heartwarming laugh, that was as strange to her as the languadge she was speaking. "Sheesh, what a monologue. It is nice speaking this tongue agai. So tell me, do you know anything about agents of the Muse out of the Marshes? And what is it you have against people like Vetiver?"

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  11. Inks

Inks Senior Member

"...I will not hesitate to slit your throat at night."

Mixine did not like to hear such a thing, but because she had indicated that she really had no choice in trusting Jade with her life. To hear it so casually was disquieting, not like Vetiver's strange attempt at intimidation. It was more than a difference in language, it was the simplicity that Jade was not troubled by such a notion.

So tell me, do you know anything about agents of the Muse out of the Marshes? And what is it you have against people like Vetiver?"

"I know nothing of what they look like or how they work, but speaking of the Muse invites trouble. As death-marked as we may be, let us not tempt fate." Mixine paused for a moment, "People like Vetiver... I cannot tolerate such fools."

Mixine opened her eyes and sat up with a smile, "So we are sisters, in a sense... When I finally sleep, it will be without fear of your blade. This may sound foolish, but... those thirty men. Did you see the lights leave them? Do they have care? Or... all they really dead? They might need me."

Despite the danger, Mixine could not help herself in wanting to save the life of the unknown men. Their fates chewed on her mind and she actually wanted to try and prevent death from taking anyone else. Perhaps they were fools or bandits like those in her group, but she knew the danger. If she encountered the guardian, she would have to beg for mercy and forgiveness for trespassing. Her voice told Jade all she needed to know, Mixine was considering wandering into that battlefield to aid any that still yet live. It was foolish, but she had a duty to protect life. All life. The idealism was not fit for a cruel world, but it was something she cherished.

12. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

"So we are sisters, in a sense... When I finally sleep, it will be without fear of your blade. This may sound foolish, but... those thirty men. Did you see the lights leave them? Do they have care? Or... all they really dead? They might need me."

Jade looked at Mixine with surprise. That woman was willing to enter the fray where they had just faught, to help complete strangers. Jade had known foolish chivalarious folk before, she faught alongside them, in the horrible Night of Broken Eggs. Yet she always considered them arrogant, frauds, using their pretended righteousness to gain respect out of others. Mixine was different. She was genuine in her desire to help others. Jade had to lie, in the back of her mind was a protective streak towards the witch. She was kin, after all.

"No," she said. " I am sorry, but they died. If not during the battle, then by now they would have bled out. I saw you stop before you attacked Vetiver. You have a good heart, and that could mean you dead in a place like this. If a time comes when you have to fight, to kill or be killed, are you prepared to do so?"

13. Inks

Inks Senior Member

Mixine did not realize the deception and nodded in acceptance of such an explanation, "It troubles me, but I do not know what I will do. Everything I have been told is to hold life sacred, but it is not in our nature. Those outside the Brackenmarsh, they are tainted with a disease that makes them all a warring species. Or.. so I think. I do not know if I will be able to defend myself, but the choice might not be my own in the end. Something wanted me to kill him, it was pushing me... and only because it commanded me could I refuse."

She let out a sigh and reverted back once more, "How bad does it hurt to kill someone? I never want to know for myself..."

14. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

Jade looked at Mixine intently. How bad did it hurt? She thought of all the lives she took. How many was that? She got a shock when she realised she had lost count already. Was that what evil was like? she thought. When you take a life, and not even care to remember?

"I guess... I guess the first one I killed hurt me. If I recall, I could not sleep for a week, maybe more. But after a while, you just don't look back. You just carry on." Jade cursed to herself. She closed her eyes and concentrated. A tentacle of shadow rose from the groud, tore itself, and settled at the tip of Mixine's rod. "Here. If you find yourself unable, give a nudge of energy to the rod. The shadow, will cover you, obscure you, help you hide. With that tent you wear it will give you a good chance." Why she did that, Jade didn't know. Kindness was strange to her, then again, calling someone else her kind was stranger still. Mixine was right. They were sisters, in a way, and knowing that was nice.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  15. Inks

Inks Senior Member

Mixine nodded as Jade somehow transferred itself to her rod. She had not realized that such a power could be shared and she felt incredibly weak by having so little control over her own power, but what concerned her more was that Jade had killed someone. As the realization sunk further in that Jade had likely killed many people, Mixine let out a soft gasp as it dawned on her and stared at Jade in disbelief.

"I... So.. ummm," Mixine hesitated, "I did not know... To answer your question. If I had to fight for my life, I would rather die. Everyone dear to me is gone, no one depends on me. No one would miss me. Whoever I kill may have children, a spouse, a family... they are the reason I would die."

Mixine started to sniffle and she wiped her eyes, "When I was three, I stepped on an electric eel while playing in muddy waters. It shocked me and I lost consciousness. My sister came and saved me, stabbing the eel with a stick and pulled me from the water. Father said it was magic which did it and my sister was sent to... her domain. Though I know otherwise, it gave me power and I killed it. My sister must have stabbed it when it was already dead, otherwise she would have been shocked as well. Anyone who has hunted them knows this... but... she was taken away and I never saw her again."

She held out her right hand to Jade and laid down, "For my sister...for my family... I would become Death. Between you and me... there really is no difference in Heaven and Hell despite all that people say. Those who think they found the perfect definition of morality... children. I know better, Baba showed me."

Mixine rested her left arm under her head and let her right arm stay out for Jade to take if she wished, "Thanks for calming me down. I do not know what you have gone through, but I will help you if I can. I should have put my faith in you to begin with. Wake me when it is my turn."

As Mixine struggled and slipped away into sleep, her exhausted body was still unnaturally warm. Her mind fell back to hugging Merrique, she had not held someone for so long. Having closed herself off after Baba's death, Mixine had no one to cry with. There was no time to mourn, no time to think, no time for much of anything. Responsibility... dependence... the very things she ran from was now what she wanted. She did not want to be alone anymore.

16. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

Morning came slowly, as if the sun was struggling to pull itself above the horizon. The mists had left allowing a clear view of the city, only the far quarter obscured by the cathedral. Silence seemed to pervaded the world, and the city seemed peaceful.

17. Bewitched

Bewitched Banned

Vetiver

Vetiver was awake with the dawn. He put back on his rich purple cape as well as his expensive boots and his leather belt, which was laden with all his family relics. He sat outside the tent he had conjured on a stool made of interwoven sticks that he had also conjured. If you looked closely, you could still see the flicker of purple magic where the sticks touched, and even the large tent displayed tiny purple sparks along the edges, every once in a while. Vetiver would call his magic back into himself when he took down the tent later; he was going to conserve every last drop of power, for whatever obstacle they faced next.

He watched as the sun rised and he meditated, sinking deep into himself. He took out his black mirror and he glimpsed something shiny in the glass, something metallic and circular shaped. A ring? Vetiver shook his head, confused, and put the mirror away. He decided to make everyone a meal. He stood up and called his magic back from his stool, and the stool collapsed into a small pile of sticks. The purple glimmers flew through the air and were absorbed back into Vetiver's outstretched hands.

Thirty minutes later, Vetiver had a large slab of rock set up over a crackling fire. On top of the rock were a dozen slices of meat, taken from a small animal he had hunted, sizzling and simmering noisily. Beside the meat was several eggs, which Vetiver had stolen from a bird nest. Vetiver pushed the food around with a stick and kept an eye on a small pot of water that he was also boiling on the big rock. He had collected the water from a nearby stream; boiling the water will separate it from the impurities and he can drink whatever is left. Vetiver had levitated the rock from down the road, having remembered seeing it jutting out of the ground. It made the perfect grill.

"They better appreciate my efforts," Vetiver grunted. There was a soft hiss by his feet and Xibalba twined through his legs. Vetiver was not surprised; his snake came and went as it pleased.

They will, or else, Xibalba thoughtspoke.

Erik-the-Enchanter! likes this.
  18. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

Jade watched Mixine fall asleep. She had more questions, like who was this Baba, but decided not to push it. Mixine had a strange type of morality that Jade could not understand, an aversion of hurting paople stronger than her own survival instinct. The way she looked at her when Jade mentioned her kills, like she was a monster, was painful. Jade did what she had to in order to survive, or at least that's what she told herself. And on the other hand, Mixine trusted her. That in itself was strange. She hoped the girl would protect herself, or, if not, use the magic to hide. As protective as she felt over her, Jade had no intention of risking her life to defend her. The girl will have to learn that herself, or else.

Over the horizon, the black sky was becoming brighter. How long have we been talking? Jade wondered. Exhastion filled her. Someone else should have watched as well, she thought angrily. Then she heard a shuffle in the tent. Someone had woken up. Jade quietly entered the tent. If I am not the last they wake, she thought menacingly, before drifting to sleep.

19. BrandonrockstheAM

Marcus awoke with a snap, breathing hard, as if the time between the vision and his waking had not existed at all. A vision, brought forward by some unknown force... but it was the only lead they had. What else was hidden in this city...

"Retrieve the ring. Seek the First Scholar."

Those words echoed throughout his head, and Marcus started upon feeling Dart's hand on his shoulder.

"Ready for a new day?"

"I had a dream... we should head East. There's something we need to get from there. I'll explain it on the way. I'll tell the others."

Kent watched Marcus warily. Marcus had not even looked at him. Not spared him a friendly glance. Either he was busy... or he had decided that Kent's magically-enhanced limbs were against his beliefs. As much as he respected the young man, he was stubborn in his agenda against the arcane arts.

Marcus stepped out into the rays of the yawning and only slightly awake sun, who groggily gave him a few spots of warmth. He sniffed and caught a drift of the smell of cooking meat and eggs. Marcus immediately spotted Vetiver cooking atop a... rock. With magic. Marcus walked up the sorcerer, suddenly very hungry. He had not had freshly cooked meat or eggs for a long time.

"I hope some of that is for me." His mouth open, saliva hanging on for dear life on his lips. At this point in time, he didn't care what Vetiver was. He had freshly-grilled meat and cooked eggs. "I sincerely thank you in advance."

20. Inks

Inks Senior Member

Before the breaking of the night, Mixine awoke and laid on the ground in peace. She lived and Jade had not woke her, but how long had she really been asleep? Not long enough to feel good. Pulling herself upright and collecting her gear, she proceeded to the nearby stream. Traveling by night was something Mixine had to do from time to time, to avoid people or to pass through an area that seemed dangerous. Keen eyes and ears lead her to a small stream and she pulled out a fine canvas mesh from the rear pack and set it up to catch some fresh fish. With her rod in hand, Mixine lobbed a rock here or there into the water as she walked upstream and searched for movement. The disturbances got the attention of some small fish and frogs and Mixine touched the rod to the water. Those in the immediate vicinity were instantly killed by the charge and flowed down in the current into Mixine's waiting net.

Twelve small silver fish and four frogs later, Mixine bundled up her net and set it aside to dry on the carrying rack. Scavenging for edible grasses and weeds, Mixine hungrily consumed anything edible by the riverside. Dandelions were excellent, though some mosses and shoots were also thoroughly delicious. Her stomach had been upset by all the stress of last night and she horded fresh leaves, a few tubers and a sizable pile of plucked leaves. These were not for sharing, though Mixine had subsisted on her surroundings long enough that these humble gatherings were habitual. She opened her waterskin and drank down the last of her water before refilling it in the stream. It might be some time before she could return to such a good location. She did not actively try to avoid Vetiver, but she was wary of him.

As she returned to camp and found Vetiver cooking over and open fire. Her eyes locked upon him when she saw him cooking with magic and she made a little huff of contempt because he had plundered some eggs. She eyed the boiling attempt and snickered to herself, was Vetiver making tea or trying to purify water? Deciding to keep her distance, Mixine sat down and seemed to disappear into the mound as she sat down. Her eyes closing as she drifted off into another uneasy sleep, this time with a full belly.

21. Bewitched

Bewitched Banned

Vetiver

"I hope some of that is for me." Vetiver looked up to see Marcus approaching, a hungry look in his eyes. "I sincerely thank you in advance."

Vetiver smirked. "This is for everyone. We all have to be in top condition, since Merrique has been so horribly crippled. Here, have some." With his stick, Vetiver separated some of the eggs and meat pieces from the rest and pushed it toward Marcus. "Eat it off the rock," the tall sorcerer instructed. "I promise I cleaned it thoroughly with a strong purifying spell."

With the hand that wasn't holding the stick, Vetiver made a gesture toward the bottom of the rock and the writhing flames underneath burned even hotter, cooking the food faster.

22. BrandonrockstheAM

With no other obstacle in his way, Marcus knelt near the rock, and dug in. The flavor of the meat rolled over his tongue delightfully, and the eggs filled him with a satisfied contentment. He smiled, a drugged happiness overflowing him, and nearly fainted. It had been a year since he'd had food that had tasted good and filled him up at the same time.

Within a few minutes, he sighed, acknowledging the fact that that was the end of that feeling for a while. He remembered the vision he had had last night, and decided to wait until everyone else was up for him to discuss it. He'd try to make sense of Merrique's vision as well. Maybe with both of those they could figure out what the right thing to do was. Then again, everyone here was here for different things.

"Retrieve the Ring. Seek the First Scholar."

Who was the First Scholar? It would be someone well-versed in academia, and a presumably aged person. Marcus wasn't sure if this person was located in the East or West, or even the North of the city, but the Ring was located in the East anyway, so he'd convince the others to go there first. Well, if he could convince them, of course.

He eyed Vetiver. A mysterious sorcerer, brave and considerably adept at magic. The purple aura made him feel as if the sorcerer was an ethereal being. From the dialogues he'd had with him so far, he'd come off as course, brash, and perhaps a little too proud. However, Marcus felt that he, like many others, was a simple man in the end. His father had told him once that the same being lives in everyone; that everyone is born the same, but changes with the people and air around them. Obviously not literally true, but figuratively? Marcus had yet to find out. However, this was one clearly entranced and corrupted by the dark arts.

"How long have you used magic?" Marcus's eyebrows lifted, his face transformed into the face of curiosity. "Did someone teach you? Were you born with it? Magic is something I'm not familiar with."

23. Bewitched

Bewitched Banned

Vetiver

"How long have you used magic? Did someone teach you? Were you born with it? Magic is something I'm not familiar with."

Vetiver smiled at Marcus. Not his usual mocking smirk or an ironic grin, but a genuine smile. "You're probably the only person here who has asked me any of those questions," Vetiver said. "I will gladly answer them. I have used magic since I was very young; all the women in my family were strong witches and they taught me everything I know. I truly did not even know that it was magic, I just thought it was something everyone could do, because I stayed locked up inside our house until I was nine or ten. They kept me inside because my powers developed very quickly and I couldn't control them when I was emotional. Where I'm from, witches and sorcerers were burned in the village square if they were discovered."

Vetiver's smile lessened and his eyes were deeply sad for a moment, but then he went on. "Anyway," he said, waving his hand as if he was waving away bad memories. "Magic is particularly strong in my lineage. The most powerful of us all was Great Maja, my grandmother, who was gifted with many powers and was a great seer. She could whip up a storm faster than any witch I know: there were clear blue skies one moment, and the next there everything was dark and windy and pouring rain. But she couldn't see everything, no seer can see all possible futures. I was the first boy to ever be born with magic in my family, and no one saw that coming, not even my own sweet mother..."

After a short pause, Vetiver sighed and clapped his hands. The fire under the big rock suddenly went out and the food stopped simmering. It was crispy and fully cooked. "I'm sorry," Vetiver told Marcus, forcing a smile that looked painful. "I talk too much sometimes. I hope I didn't bore you." He glanced away from Marcus to quickly wipe his eyes with a his black silk handkerchief. "I'm sorry," he said again.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  24. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    Merrique

Merrique stumbled out of the tent, smelling food. When she saw that it was eggs and meat, she frowned and rubbed her growling stomach. "I'm a vegetarian," she sulked. Then she went back into the tent and searched through her satchel for something to eat. She found a dusty carrot at the bottom and a single radish. "Better than nothing," Merrique grumbled. She tried not to think about how she could have whipped up a better breakfast if she still had her magic.

The lady sorceress re-emerged with her veggies and walked straight up to Marcus and Vetiver, rubbing her eyes sleepily. "Morning, gents," she told them with a lady-like yawn. Her ringlets were tousled and a bit frizzy, and her fine crimson cloak and body-fitting dress were wrinkled from sleep, but there was nothing she could do about it out without sorcery. Despite it all, Merrique still somehow managed to look sexy and romantic.

She saw the purified water and her arched eyebrows shot up. "Nice thinking," she commented, flashing Vetiver a quick grin. She filled a small canteen with the water, took a few quick gulps, and munched on her veggies.

"So, when are we heading out?" she asked, turning from Marcus to Vetiver.

25. Inks

Inks Senior Member

Roused by the activity, Mixine opened her eyes and stood up. It would be a long day and the blinders on her senses were made all the worse by the short sleep. Though she had gotten more sleep than Jade, surely the rest of them understood how both of them had stayed up to watch at the pivotal hour? It had been some time since she had stayed up all night, but even with night traveling in spots, her body protested the lack of sleep with a headache and mental grogginess. Like most people, a lack of sleep resulted in irritability, but she was unaware of her particular faults under the condition.

From underneath her heavy gear and black cloak, Mixine approached Merrique and the others, "Heading out? At least four widths I'd expect, unless you want to tempt a blade in the night."

Mixine was referring to the four finger lengths of time, a simple measurement of the early rise of the sun that was roughly equivalent to an hour. As Jade had taken her watch, Mixine did not want to drag her along in a poor state. Mixine realized that wisdom about traveling with a group was not shared by the others, was it just of those in the Brackenmarsh that were familiar with the concept of three rest periods?

Mixine sighed and directed her attention to Vetiver."You owe your lives to us after all, so let her sleep while you get a lay of the city. I would apologize to the holy warrior and maybe they will grant us refuge. If you are a scared child, I will go. I have business to conduct with the master of Para'Ven. That is how you pronounce it... right?"

Mixine did not realize the reason for the fight or the circumstances and imprinted her notions that they had trespassed enough. She believed this was a holy land and the center structure was a holy temple that was under siege from brigands, bandits and the sort of unsavory people who stalk in the dead of the night. The actions of the last night, to Mixine, were a direct result of the incompetence and foolish actions of Merrique and Vetiver. Mixine did not want to leave Jade alone and was more than just a little uncomfortable about the situation. Was everyone so confident in themselves that they were blind to the dangers of their actions?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015