The trivialization of Evil

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Iain Aschendale, Nov 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Infel

Infel Contributor Contributor

What an interesting topic!

I'd bring to light all of the "bad guys as tragic heros" tropes that we see becoming popular now-a-days. "Satan wasn't evil, he was just misunderstood," or "Vampires are actually dangerous sexy dudes". We've taken evil and tried to give it a voice, tried to make everything 'shades of gray' instead of black and white. If your priest knew definitively that Hell existed, Devil May Cry as a video game series would infuriate him--Paradise Lost would seem like the anti-bible. Any use of heaven or hell in popular culture would be such a slander on the true magnitude of what these stupid foolish humans think they're talking about, that it would drive him mad. Any new age hippy that uttered "Well I think God exists, but I don't think hell is real" would start him foaming at the mouth. Every time God appeared in Family Guy, he'd want to murder every writer at the office!

The idea of evil just being another side of the story and not necessarily 'wrong' would set him up a wall.

Iain Aschendale likes this.