The value of reciprocity

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Wreybies, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Oh, well that I don't see the problem with? If they meet the requirements, does it really matter?

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

She means outside of the Writing Workshop area, like, for example, posting for crit in one of the subforums up in the upper quarter of the home page. Happens all the time. o_O

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  3. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I know, I've seen several of those threads. What's the problem with it?

4. Carly Berg

Carly Berg Active Member

I think they are trying to make the leap from amateur(ish) to professional(ish) and it's painful.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  5. Wreybies

Threads for crit aren't allowed up there, or in anywhere outside of the Writing Workshop, simply because it serves to circumvent the requirements of the Workshop. It happens for at least three reasons. 1) The new member didn't read the rules or the intro PM my account automatically sends them where the Workshop reqs are front and center. 2) The member is on a mobile device. I've noticed that when I engage the forum through my phone, it's much less obvious "where" in the forum I happen to be when I pop into a thread. 3) The member is just plain trying to get around the reqs. We allow small snippets or lines in that area for the sake of example when the member has a question, but some members will also use this allowance as a way to present their work, bit by tiny bit, for crit. That's a no-go, but it's a fuzzy no-go. There's a difference between:

In the following few lines you'll see that I use semicolons in a particular fashion to set up immediate contrast between one thing and another.

{insert a few lines of example}

Would this kind of use of semicolons seem intuitive to you? Does it do what I think it's doing?​

and....

Here's some of my writing! Let me know what you think!

{insert writing}​

The first is fine. It's a specific question with some lines to give context to the question. The second is just asking for crit and is not fine. I delete them as soon as I see them, but I'm not here 24/7 and often other members simply start critiquing while I'm nigh-nigh and by the time I delete the thread, well...

6. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Community Volunteer

The fuzzy middle is when the poster will say, "I'm having trouble with my character. Do you think he's adequately motivated?" and inserts two or three pages of her WIP. Then let the fun begin as everyone jumps in not only on characterization, but on setting, pacing, plot, and SPaG.

If that's okay, I'll jump in, too, and keep my mouth shut about it belonging in the Workshop.

7. Wreybies

No, a few pages of work as example is not ok because no one sticks to just the question with that much work presented and you have a crit thread outside the crit area. Such a thread should be reported. When I say a few lines or a snippet for example, I mean a short paragraph, 4 or 5 sentences as a max.

Catrin Lewis likes this.