1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

The Very First Book

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Wreybies, May 19, 2009.

I still have the very first science fiction book I ever read. Not just a copy of it, but the very same copy that was bought for me in either first or second grade. Here it is:

[​IMG]

The book actually consists of two stories. If you flip the book over, the other story reads in the other direction, so that when you come to the last page of either side you are confronted with the last page of the other story upside down.

I don't know if they still do this in grade school, but back in the seventies they sold these little "scholastic books" through the school via a little mail order deal-ee-oh. I remember each year I would wait with such anticipation for the little pamphlet to come out to see which new books I could buy. They rarely cost more than a buck in those days. Anyway, this little science fiction ditty was my very first ever science fiction book, my baptism, so to speak.

What was your first book?

2. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

The first book I read was 'The Enchanted wood' by Enid Blyton.

I read it when I was about 6, but I suppose having 'The Magic Faraway Tree' read to me when I was younger helped, even if it did come afterwards. I still have the origonal coppies of both books, and their in mint condiion baring in mind, my mum read them when she was that age.

3. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

The first books I can clearly remember reading was the Nancy Drew series in third grade. I remembering feeling super cool for reading them, talking about it with my friends and calling her "Nan" like we were BFFs. Good times.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The first book I read was The Cat in the Hat. After that, and a few of the other "I Can Read It Myself" series, I was unstoppable, and read everything I could lay eyes upon.

5. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

This may show how young I am, but the first book I read (other than dinosaur dictionaries) was Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I've read a good lot since, although fantasy is still my favorite genre.

6. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    I began my epic journey of fantastic, compelling, enthralling literature with the literary genius that is...'The very hungry Caterpillar'. ;)

7. A.J.Crowley

A.J.Crowley New Member

Green Eggs and Ham - Yes I can still recite it word for word, aint I sad.

Other fondly remembered childrens books.

Cloudy with a chance of meatballs
    Where's Wally
    Tintin

Ah those were the days...

8. arron89

arron89 Banned

I don't know if they have them in the USA or whatever, but I used to (religiously) read tose Usbourne Puzzle Adventures, the ones with I think it was Agent Arthur and stuff, you had to like crack codes and solve puzzles and all that, it was great fun. And goosebumps and animorphs. I think its tres sad that kids dont read those anymore, now they have gossip girl and CHERUB and stuff (although CHERUB books sound cool XD i used to read the alex rider series hehe)

9. A2theDre

A2theDre Active Member

First books I remember reading were Goosebumps books. Until my mother got annoyed at how easily I finished them so she bought me a two in one fantasy novel for my 10th birthday. I've been a fantasy fan ever since!

10. A.J.Crowley

A.J.Crowley New Member

I remember them, I think I still have some somewhere. More often than not I got frustrated with the puzzles and skipped forward to the answers.

11. arron89

arron89 Banned

haha yep....eventually they started adding hint pages as well

12. JGraham

JGraham New Member

Well i read numerous kids books as a child but the first big book i read was Wizrd by Steve Zell

13. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

The first book I remember being read to me was Tha Magician's Nephew.

14. CharlieVer

CharlieVer Contributor Contributor

The first book I ever read?

I think it had something to do with Dick and Jane.
    I also seem to recall some book about a talking school bus.

Later, I developed an affection for the Hardy Boys.
    Also, anything relating to comic books... books about comics, as well as the comics themselves.

My high-school reading of the Shining is the origin of my adult affection for reading.

15. x_raichelle_x

x_raichelle_x New Member

I looove the very hungry caterpillar!
    I think may have been Little House on the Prairie, for like, a proper proper book. Kids-book wise probably The Tiger Who Came for Tea, or You'll Grow Into It Titch.
    Its nice thinking about these books again :)

xxx

16. MarcG

MarcG New Member

Not sure at all... a fair amount of kids books, then when I was in the 2nd grade I read the entire Lord of the Rings series and The Hobbit. It was a Christmas present.

17. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

i never got into the hobbit, thought it was boring but the acctuall llord of the rings books i loved!

18. sophie.

sophie. New Member

The Tiger Who Came to Tea - loved that book raichelle :) In fact I'm sure we still have it..in the attic somewhere

19. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

It is literary genius, and I started out with that as well. I also remember the Biff and Chip books in Reception up to Year 2 as being amongst the first I read.

20. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

My first book that I can remember reading were the Goosebumps series. I loved those books.:)

21. Anir

Anir New Member

In a place where the forces of space and time have
    I started reading at three, so I don't really remember my first book, but I do recall many repetitions of Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham, and The Very Hungry Caterpillar. My first real book was something in the Boxcar Children series, but I remember fondly Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.