1. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

The weird places on the internet.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Madman, Sep 3, 2020.

So I just found out about ASMR (Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response) videos and I really do not get it. People make videos of themselves where they whisper to the audience and do "weird noise stuff". Sometimes they even do virtual massaging of the viewers forehead.

I'm skeptical of the whole concept, it's too weird for me. Maybe this is a sign that I'm getting old?

Yeez...

It's just so bizarre. But who knows, maybe I will be a fan in ten years?

What do you think about it? Have you found other weird internet stuff? (No offensive things, please)

Steve Rivers likes this.
  2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Not everyone experiences the ASMR phenomenon, and if you don't, the videos are pretty damn weird.

I don't.

But I have found when searching for crafting videos (woodturning, carpentry, stuff like that) if you add "ASMR" to your search terms it forestalls getting the yappers, who feel that it's necessary to narrate every damn second of their videos, and the musician who think that Yanni or Pure Moods or whatever is the best sauce to dump all over their creations.

Madman and Wreybies like this.
  3. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    I'm a tad (?) older than you and I find some ASMR intriguing and even engrossing, some not so much. At least I like the audio, I think the videos might be over the top. But the audio is especially interesting if I listen to it as I fall asleep,

Madman likes this.
  4. Madman

Interesting, so does it help you sleep or does it do something to you as you fall asleep?

5. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

ASMR totally works on me. I don't really listen to it though because it is like aural tickling; not the most relaxing thing, even though that is its purpose.

Madman likes this.
  6. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    Both, I guess. Something absorbing to do if I can't sleep, and once I get absorbed I sometimes fall asleep.

Madman likes this.
  7. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    ASMR can be kinda out there. You can be tortured with the sounds of styrofoam blocks
    being rubbed together if you find that kinda thing relaxing. I don't, it's like nails on a
    chalk board. Then there is the kidnapping ones by your GF/BF, that are kinda odd...
    What really takes the cake if you go poking beyond the youtubes to other places is the
    more adult oriented ASMR that incorporates BDSM elements and such. Seems the deeper
    down a rabbit hole you go, everything can go from the plain bizarre, to straight up whisper
    pron.

I think their are strange pockets all over the net if you go looking for them. Reddit has some
    odd places that I've heard about, but will never join there just to see them. Deviant art is an
    odd spot for artists and such, pretty weird stuff there if you search about for a while. You really
    can find some strange stuff on there depicted at varying degree of artistic skill, and some of it
    is quite well done, and others, well not much better than scribbles with a set of crayons. Also
    people post poems, fictional stories (all types), and other rando/odd events in their lives.

Madman likes this.
  8. Madman

I have heard about Deviant art, my younger brother used to be on that site, he liked a certain subculture in those times.

Guess you can find all sorts of weird holes on the internet, kind of like local bars in the countryside (or down some dark alley in the city), some have their own unique culture.

Cave Troll likes this.
  9. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Madman likes this.
  10. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eduard_Khil
    Funny enough, he knew of this meme. In short, he was singing vocals because the actual words written for the song were crap. He was pleased to see the interest in his career spring up again due to the video. His son came up and said he also wondered where all these journalists were decades earlier when he actually sang it. And apparently he had a beef with Oshanin over whether the lyrics should be there or not.

He also did a new version.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    OurJud likes this.
  11. Lazaares

Lazaares Contributor Contributor

Neave TV.

12. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

Thank...you?

OurJud likes this.
  13. OurJud

I think in fairness that's just him miming to his original vocals. For all it's silliness he has one hell of a voice.

14. OurJud

The washing machine! I almost felt sorry for it.

Iain Aschendale likes this.