The worst book you've ever read or had to have read

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Ivy.Mane, Sep 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aconite

Aconite New Member

All the exact same reasons, with the genders changed, are the reason I could barely get through Terry Goodkind's Wizard's First Rule. I know some people like it, and I think extreme violence has a place in art at times (I've watched Takasho Miike films), but Goodkind handles it in a really exploitative way. Not to mention that his hero is pretty unlikeable, too.

2. Donal

Donal New Member

I found the exact same thing about Wizards First Rule. There are scenes with a pretty violent dominatrix. I have worked in a small bookstore for last 4 years and people often ask me to recommend books. One woman was going to by it for her 10 year old son who apparently is a great reader. However there is way too much sexual violence it in for my taste.

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

The only Goodkind book I've ever tried to read is Wizard's First Rule, and I thought it was terrible.

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

LOL I didn't get that far its one of the few I stopped reading part way through. Only reason i read all of Catcher in the Rye is because it was for a school exam

5. natsuki

natsuki Active Member

Oh, just remembered another book that I hated, but unlike the first one that I mentioned, this one made me angry because of the stereotypes, etc: "Eleven Minutes".

I was glad it was a short read, otherwise I wouldn't be able to finish.

6. Kio

Kio New Member

Unfortunately, I don't read as much as I should, but I can safely say that Twilight is just about the worst thing I'm currently trying to force myself to read. It's slow, it's practically plot-less, Bella is strange (considering that she let's a vampire who has already admitted to her countless times that he has the potential to kill her in a second's time even come near her, let alone stalk her), it is filled with bland and awkward conversations concerning Edward's vampire-ness, and the writing is quite... mediocre? It isn't the best, really. I have a friend who can write better than Mrs. Meyer.

The whole book is either very awkward or just painful (I've never heard of sparkling vampires up until now) and, personally, it shouldn't have taken itself so seriously. The concept could have worked (the symbolism was quite nice, I admit), but it simply didn't due to poor execution. However, I'm sure there are books much worse than Twilight out there that I'm surely going to get my hands on before I die, whether I like it or not.

7. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy New Member

Amen! I applaud you on your ability to stick with horrible books. I just put them down! I've been tempted to read certain books (somewhat like Twilight) but I never have, simply because I knew I wouldn't like them.

8. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

If I'm not enjoying a book, I just stop reading it. School was a long time ago; I'm a grown-up now and I only read what I like!

9. bumblebot

bumblebot New Member

This is the first book/series that came to mind for me. It was a fast read, for me, because there is very little too it and honestly I think you were kind of generous in your description, haha. I can't think of one good thing to say about it.

10. Steerpike

Bashing the latest "literary" phenomenon is always a trend, particularly among other writers. One good thing I can say about Twilight is that Meyer managed to connect on a basic level with more readers than most writers will ever come close to achieving, and at its most basic level that's the aim of storytelling.

I read the first book, since my daughter loved it so much. Wasn't my cup of tea, but pretty far from the worst books I've ever read. Douglas Niles holds that distinction.

11. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

Sour grapes, you mean? :)

My SO and I started listening to Twilight as an audio book together. After the main character had talked about the looks of different guys for five minutes, she couldn't stand it any more. I was willing to give it another chance, but she just couldn't stand it.

12. Steerpike

Islander:

Yeah, I think that's it mostly. It happens every time a book gets THAT popular. Like I said, it's not for everyone (no book is). I didn't like it, personally. But the level of hate you find for it in most places is due to the fact that it is cool to hate it. Technical considerations aside, Meyer must have done something very right from a storyteller perspective, or she wouldn't be in the position she's in now.

13. Aconite

Aconite New Member

I haven't read more than a chapter out of Twilight so can't really speak of the quality of that specific book (besides the labored, badly written first chapter that I did read), but I don't quite agree on the 'must,' Steerpike. She could've just (pardon the cliche) struck while the iron was hot. Before her books, there were thousands of naive girls writing vampire fanfiction, and there always have been since the '80s (I'm old enough to remember a fad around Interview with the Vampire, and I hear stories of one around The Lost Boys and some others, too).

So she may have just happened to be the one lucky exception to the 'no naively written vampire stories see the light of day beyond the slush pile' rule, and combining that with a vampire who isn't actually threatening, and who plays into the emo trends in vogue when Twilight came out, attracted the crowd with the most easily disposed income and a relative lack of literary sophistication: American teenagers. (No offense to any specific teenagers on this forum, mind you!)

14. Steerpike

That's not true, though, Aconite, because there was already other teen vampire/romance fiction out there.

Also, Meyer, as an unknown, first-novel writer, got a $750,000.00 advance. The editor who bought the work said that much was offered because she knew it would be big. So how did the editor know? How did that one stand out from the already-published fiction with similar themes, or the other stuff sitting on the slush pile.

I think all of the answers that amount to "luck" are just too pat. To me it is pretty clear that Meyer must have done something very right in striking a chord. I don't know what it is, but the editor who bought her novel apparently saw it. And she was right about it.

15. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

It always seems like Twilight dominates this thread. :rolleyes:

The author is by no means a talented writer. However, there was strategy to this poorly-written saga; I'm sure of it. No product of any kind can become so popular, even when it's a teen-romance phenomenon, without a brilliantly executed plan of action. The main character is cliched and vague enough that most readers within the target audience can relate to what little the author describes of her, while her love-interest is almost identical to what is considered attractive at the moment (minus the fangs and the lack of a tan). Add in a little danger and make sure that the female protagonist is the center of everyone's universe, and it's every 12 year old girl's fantasy.

I wouldnt hate on Twilight... Yes, the writing is low-quality; that fact has been hammered to death on this site, and it really need not be addressed any further. But what most people dont realize, or at least address, is that the marketing was brilliant.

I would have got my hands on part of it had I known about it before it took off, whether that meant being a part of the editting or publishing or even movie process. I wouldnt have cared about my name being attributed to a low-quality story --I'd be riding the money train.

16. Steerpike

"Marketing" is also an easy answer, but a little scrutiny doesn't bear it out. The book was already very successful before the marketing began in earnest. In addition, there were other books of this sort out there already, and more than came later, and if all it took to turn such a work into a bona fide phenomenon was a great marketing strategy, then every publisher with rights to these sort of works, or other works for that matter, would do the same thing and have a cultural phenomenon on their hands.

Marketing certainly helps, but it isn't the answer to the puzzle here. That's simply another all too easy answer that gets thrown out when books are this successful (e.g. Potter).

But this really is a topic unto itself, so we should probably get back to the thread topic.

17. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I think you missed my point. I didnt say that marketing was the secret to its success. The character development (developed in the right areas and underdeveloped in the right areas for easy accessability to the target audience) is the integral part. The characters are what launched its success, and the marketing is what kept it there.

The total strategy was what led to its success; marketing was a major key, but not the only, part of that process.

18. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

Although the plot was bland, Bella's shallow personality makes her unlikeable in most eyes but irresistable in canon, and the grammar had me chagrined out of my mind, I still remain neutral. I still enjoy the way the feelings between SMeyer's characters are incredibly raw. Bella's fear of rejection paired with Edward's undying love (albeit stalkerness) is good for a light read. The Host was definitely better.

Surprisingly, I've never read a truly horrible book. Maybe it's because I have good taste, or I'm overly generous when critiquing (sp?). But, if we're going to count fanfiction, I'm going to say MY FREAKIN' IMMORTAL.

19. Aconite

Aconite New Member

Even My Immortal doesn't compare to the ancient, yet--remarkably--still powerfully bad, Eye of Argon. Definitely worth a Google!

20. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I only found out about the "fanfic" My Immortal yesterday, and wow, I actually wanted to strangle the girl who wrote it 'cause it was so bad.

21. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

Wait, I just thought of a book almost as annoying and poorly written as My Immortal.

Breaking Dawn. Ugh.

22. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

*Googles*.

*Reads First Paragraph*.

Too... much... purple... prose... *Keels Over and Dies*.

People do NOT have gizzards! Ever!

23. Skodt

Skodt New Member

This might not be a popular choice, yet it's my opinion.

Lord of the rings, fellowship of the rings. I don't know if it is the most horribly written book ever, or if the story is the worst ever, but what I can tell you is this book is the most boring book ever. Saving Grace is big Tom B. But other then that it's a snorefest.

24. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I've just checked My Immortal out. I'm sure it's a joke, or is that just what I hope.

25. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

If its a joke its perhaps the most amazing one since... ever. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.