Things that annoy me but shouldnt, part 2

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big soft moose, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I should get some of those. Some of the reports I get would make more sense if they were written in Japanese.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Crop tops are back in fashion this year.

But as we're still under a mask mandate at school, I find it weirdly inappropriate that I know more about what my students' navels look like than I do about their noses, mouths, or chins.

Hammer likes this.
  3. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

They've been the very height of fashion here for some time. Trends are so interesting.

4. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

My wife is diving into spring cleaning mode with gusto, a stark departure from years past. However, rather than getting rid of our collection of needless things she went out and bought storage containers to put it all in. I think we paid today’s light bill for Sam’s club with all the storage containers she bought. So now we’ve gone from having a bunch of crap with nowhere to belong to having boxes full of crap with nowhere to belong. Major step forward.

Last edited: May 8, 2022
  5. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

I make a big pile, sort it into several smaller ones, and then start putting those into containment, only to realize I've just organized the small piles into a big one again, just a different order. The amount of times I've done this feels like I should know it's eventually ineffective, but the satisfaction of piles makes sense to me for some reason.

Hammer likes this.
  6. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

The problem is we still have the crap. It’s getting more organized than it was, but it’s still here.

Dogberry's Watch likes this.
  7. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Yep, sounds like my wife. Piles of crap atop piles of crap. Storage containers in the basement and garage full of more crap. Closets overflowing with crap.

Cave Troll likes this.
  8. GeoffFromBykerGrove

GeoffFromBykerGrove Active Member

"The Crossing" Cormac McCarthy, “Reality+” by David Chalmers
    Part of me thinks that this is some higher metaphysical principle about how life is formed

Xoic, Dogberry's Watch and Hammer like this.
  9. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Siri.

Me: “Hey, Siri. When was the first Men in Black film made?”

Siri: “Which one?”

:meh:

Last edited: May 10, 2022
  10. NeilP

NeilP New Member

When people say they have double-checked something, but it's only the 1st time they have checked it.

11. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

First Slurpee of the season, first Slurpee headache.

AntPoems likes this.
  12. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

When smokers stare me down as they blow their smoke into the wind while I'm sitting downwind. I don't care if ya smoke, just don't do it in my fucking face, thanks.

Hammer and Madman like this.
  13. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

On that note, I once met a very considerate smoker. He noticed that his smoke was blowing into my face, so he turned his head and blew it in the other direction every time he puffed out. It was in the middle of a big city, at a bus stop. I was very surprised.

14. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

wth is the key in the top left, under Esc?

15. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    On the keyboard in front of me it's "E/J" and switches between romanji and kana when you have the input mode set to Japanese (the base input mode. I keep it in Japanese set to romanji because that way the input matches what's on the keyboard. I'm a decent touch typist but never learned the special characters, so I need to hunt for things like dollar signs and ampersands).

So to recap, the capslock key switches between romanji and kana. As does the key beneath ESC for switching between romanji and kana. Both keys next to the spacebar switch between romanji and kana, so does the key to switch between between romanji and kana that is located just to the right of the key to switch between romanji and kana.

Somebody really wanted to be able to switch between romanji and kana, I guess.

Naomasa298 likes this.
  16. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

I use Microsoft IME to type in Japanese, and the really annoying thing with that is that you can switch between romanji and hiragana with one button click, but it takes a menu command to switch to katakana. A third of the words I type are probably katakana, which just means I have to break off and reach for my mouse three times a sentence.

17. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Try the capslock key to get back, I'm using Japanese Microsoft IME as well (Windows 10).

Naomasa298 likes this.
  18. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Things that annoy me, number 3,478: Architects who don't want to do their job.

I'm a licensed architect. I'm currently semi-retired, and I'm helping out a smaller municipality by working half-time as a building official/plan reviewer in their department of building inspection. We routinely receive construction plans with glaring errors, referencing the wrong codes, and when the goofs are pointed out the architects throw hissy fits and complain that we're picking on them.

We had one today that was a resubmittal. They are building a new fire-resistance rated wall to subdivide a space into two tenant areas. Problem: all the roof trusses run perpendicular to the new wall, so every four feet there is a latticework of steel angles punching holes through the wall. The original plan review comment asked how these penetrations are to be constructed and maintain the fire rating of the wall. The architect's response?

"That's the contractor's responsibility."

WRONG ANSWER, DUDE!

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  19. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    My stepdad is a retired "auto"worker from one of the big construction equipment companies. Started out as a grease monkey but worked his way up to the Prototype Assembly Team, the guys who take what the bright young college kids in the engineering department have whipped up and see if it will actually fit together. I think they also did some order of assembly work.

Anyway, one time this group of non-college-educated guys with scarred knuckles and grease permanently under their nails had to send a tractor back to engineering as the driveshaft was somehow supposed to pass through the gastank.

It worked in CAD...

20. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Don't get me started on that. At one time I had a 1984 Jeep Cherokee 4-cylinder. To replace the front spark plug, you had to remove the air-conditioning compressor.

Anyone remember the Sunbeam Tiger sports car? It was a Sunbeam Alpine, with a Ford V8 engine stuffed under the hood (or "bonnet," if you're in the U.K.). Changing the two rear-most spark plugs required unfastening the motor mounts and sliding the engine forward.

1993 Honda Accord: the oil filter was directly above the exhaust pipe. It was impossible to change the oil filter when the engine ws hot (which, of course, is when you're supposed to drain old oil) unless you wore asbestos gloves.

21. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Counter-offers.

Like, come on. Please. The fuck is wrong with you?

If I put an offer in above your asking price and with shorter contingencies, why are you then throwing out a counter-offer with a bunch of extra bull, a higher price, AND an expectation to waive an appraisal?

Pound sand, asshat.

I know it's part of the game, but seriously. Fuck you.

Earp and Iain Aschendale like this.
  22. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    If you'll pay 110, you'll pay 120..."

EFMingo likes this.
  23. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

In this case,

We want 450

I'll give you 480

No we want 500 and dumb shit

No

24. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

When online sellers charge postage way above what you know the actual postage to be.

Paperback book: £1,76
    Postage: £18.00

I don’t give a shit where it’s coming from, that’s not the postage costs!

peachalulu and Earp like this.
  25. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Yes. The phrase, 'and handling' should be banished from the language. The problem is most likely those dolts who think they're buying a new laptop for $.01 when the shipping charge is $350.00.

OurJud likes this.