Things that annoy me but shouldnt, part 2

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big soft moose, Sep 24, 2021.

1. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

The irony is, I’d be far more likely to buy your item if you gave an honest price for the item and true postage costs, rather than trying to insult my intelligence.

EFMingo likes this.
  2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    But that's an artifact of the ebay (or whatever) system. Most of those online marketplaces charge a percentage of the sale price but don't take a bite out of the shipping and handling (handling includes the time, effort, and materials to box the thing up, drag it down to the post office, and go through the hoops necessary to send it. I used to work as a shipping clerk and had to figure the handling as whatever percentage of an hour it took me to get the thing ready, divided by my hourly pay rate. But I digress).

So what it means is if I have a computer worth $350 and I sell it for $350 + $15.00 s&h ($11 bucks postage and $4 for my time at the post office, say), eBay takes...dunno, 5%? Example only, so I get $336.50 in the end. But if I charge $.01 and $361 s&h I go home with $349.99 and ebay doesn't make a cent.

Oversimplified with made-up numbers and percentages, but that's why you see those weird figures.

OurJud likes this.
  3. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

I mostly see it on Amazon. Hard to imagine Bezos not taking his vig.

4. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Well I didn’t know this, but like @Earp I see it on amazon too. Not to the extremes we see on eBay, but maybe the same thing’s going on there.

5. Earp

Don't waste your time asking me for a donation to your organization if you don't have detailed financial information on your website.

EFMingo and J.T. Woody like this.
  6. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Or when you are looking for potential speakers at Speaker Houses/Agencies and they ask for all of your information (including day and time) of the event, rather than just giving you the average rate it would cost to book the speaker.

I dont have a date and time. I dont even have a program in the works yet! But i'd like to know how much said speaker is so that i could pitch the speaker to the higher ups.....

EFMingo and Earp like this.
  7. Earp

I'd probably contact the speaker directly and let him/her know that the booking agency is costing him/her money.

8. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

well that's us knackered then

Robert Musil and Homer Potvin like this.
  9. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

that's partly because speaker charges vary depending on where they are, what else they have on, demand for certain dates etc... like if your date is in the middle of a two week tour of the east coast and you're in LA its going to cost more than if the speaker is sat on his thumb in LA between two dates.

some speakers also vary their charges depending on whether they like your politics/cause./venue and or whether your audience is a good fit for them to sell their latest book or whatever to

to be fair to the agency they can't just say 'this is what he charges by the hour'

10. J.T. Woody

no, but I've had agents and other speaker agencies tell me a range. for example, [Author] is "upwards of 20k" or [Speaker] "typically runs between 5k-15k" and even "now that [Author] has made the bestsellers list, their rate has increased to ____"

the "big" agencies dont do that and its frustrating

11. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

My sense of that is that it's their way of telling you they don't want to deal with you. Sort of along the lines of "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it." :sniff:

J.T. Woody and EFMingo like this.
  12. J.T. Woody

yep i will side with @Earp in saying they just lost their client potential money :confuzled:

13. Joe_Hall

Joe_Hall I drink Scotch and I write things

When U.S. news says a person is arrested on suspicion of a crime. That is not how it works...you are charged with a crime, and then must defend yourself in court. This isn't the PRC and you can't be arrested on suspicion.

14. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Well to be fair they've always been referred to as suspects. Suspicion is exactly why people are arrested, and then it all gets hashed out in court.

If we were in the PRC they'd just disappear.

15. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

Law enforcement generally begins with a suspicion as to your guilt and then works from there to establish probable cause. Suspicion seems like a reasonable word to use.

16. big soft moose

Yep arrest comes before the charge

you’re arrested on suspicion of a crime and interviewed then if the evidence is strong enough or you confess then you are charged with a crime and either released on your own recognisance, bailed or remanded in custody until trial

In court youre case is heard and you are found guilty or innocent

so in short yes that is exactly how it works

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  17. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

That used to be true, but ebay (and I assume, Amazon) changed their policy a while back so that the commission fee was charged on the whole price inclusive of postage. I know Amazon changed their listing policy so that the buying options are in order of total cost, not just the cost of the item.

OTOH, whenever I see highly inflated postage costs, it always makes me double check where the item is actually coming from. It's usually a sign that the seller is based in another country.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  18. Joe_Hall

Joe_Hall I drink Scotch and I write things

Reasonable suspicion does not provide grounds for arrest; however, an arrest can be made if facts discovered during the detention provide probable cause that the suspect has committed a crime.

You can be stopped and a warrant obtained on reasonable suspicion. So say you have a baggie of drugs in your pocket and a cop stops you on reasonable suspicion and you are searched you can be arrested. On facts. The fact that you were in possession of illegal drugs. But a police officer cannot just arrest you because they suspect that you have a pocket of crack rocks. This is US law and other countries may very.

It might be semantics but you cannot be arrested on suspicion in the US. A suspicion can lead to an arrest but an arrest cannot be based on suspicion but on facts that support the conclusion you committed a crime.

19. big soft moose

You cannot be arrested on unsupported suspicion alone but even if the cops find you standing over a dead body covered in blood swearing that yes you killed him and you’d do it again given half a chance, you are still arrested on suspicion of murder

because you are innocent until proven guilty in court and thus both arrest and charge are based in the suspicion of your guilt since it’s certainty has not yet been determined

Iain Aschendale and love to read like this.
  20. Naomasa298

That doesn't make sense. You would have had to have been arrested to be in detention in the first place. Otherwise, the police would have no power to keep you in custody, unless the law is different in the US.

21. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

The law in the U.S. does allow police to "detain" suspects for interrogation for a limited time upon reasonable suspicion. I think the legal terminology is "interrogatory detention." If the "reasonable suspicion" progresses to "probable cause," then the suspect is formally arrested and charged.

[Edit] Nope, I had it wrong. The term is "Investigatory detention."
    https://www.helmlawoffice.com/police-misconduct/section-1983-wrongful-detentions-and-arrests/

Naomasa298 and Xoic like this.
  22. big soft moose

I think the problem here is the conflation of arrest and charge... you're detained by being arrested generally on suspicion (but not without due cause which is what makes it reasonable suspicion)... then you're investigated and then you're charged (or let go)

or of course you can come in voluntarily as a witness be interviewed and then make the jump to suspect and which point you'll be arrested - the arrest is the bit where you are read your miranda rights (PACE in the uk)

23. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

And this is the part everybody misunderstands. They don't have to mirandize a suspect on the scene before cuffing them, as is always shown in the TV shows and movies. They do it at the station in the interrogation room, and only if they're going to question you. You can learn a lot about police procedure by watching Donut Operator videos.

24. big soft moose

That varies as well - some departments like to do it at the scene in case the suspect says something incriminating while hes being transported...it'd suck if your man told the arresting officers that he killed the bitch and he wasn't sorry, but then it was ruled inadmissible because they''d not read him his rights.

British police give the PACE caution as soon as they arrest a suspect for this reason... another point that I've seen american authors balls up with british procedure is the caution is different and the right to silence isn't quite as absolute... that part of the Uk caution goes "you do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned, something that you later come to rely on in court" (thats in England and Wales, Scotland is different again)

EFMingo and Xoic like this.
  25. Naomasa298

And to make it even more confusing, the police can also "de-arrest" you - as opposed to letting you go without charge.