Things that annoy me but shouldnt, part 2

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big soft moose, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

When I see a shadow and immediately think it's a bug on the offensive ready to take me out.

Nah, just my chair moving into the light as I swivel. I scare myself regularly this way.

AntPoems and EFMingo like this.
  2. AntPoems

AntPoems Contributor Contributor

Ah, I know that feeling well. I'm constantly seeing weird motions out of the corner of my eye that always turn out to be ... my hair. :meh: But it's worth it to look this good :D

Dogberry's Watch likes this.
  3. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

No, those are the lucky ones. The other poor bastards live for years.

4. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Throat hurts.

....not sure if allergies..... COVID (i havent had it not once)...... Monkey pox........ Or cancer (as WebMD is so fond of suggesting)

Iain Aschendale and OurJud like this.
  5. OurJud

52D0DA9B-9C28-4704-95A8-C95B604F3E67.jpeg

Homer Potvin and Earp like this.
  6. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

The licensing company that controls the name and image of "The King" is ordering Las Vegas chapel operators to stop using Elvis in themed ceremonies.

This is what happens with our insane copyright laws. Elvis died 45 years ago. He should be in the public domain by now.

7. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

It’s likely not a copyright issue. More trademarks and right of publicity.

8. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

People who have no good reason to call on your door other than for the purpose of subscribing you into their various services, including charities or insurance purposes. I certainly won’t sign up based on a 60 second sales babble and you disrupted that other more important thing I was doing. Like watching TV.

It’s like spammers on your doorstep and kinda outrageous.
    My next-door neighbour actually puts posters up telling them NOT to call on her door at all unless they got a darn good reason.

love to read and EFMingo like this.
  9. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

I have a kindly and welcoming sign next to my door. It states that none of those people, in a list, are allowed to solicit or knocking the door. Never had a problem since. It's bright remand ugly as all get out, but I'm never bothered. Luckily, my front door is in a fifteen foot corridor, so the sign doesn't stand out unless you're in there.

dbesim likes this.
  10. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Could be worse. They could be Jehovah's Witnesses.

I went through a phase when I kept being approached by pairs of them. I must have looked in need of salvation.

Once, it was Mormons.

AntPoems, dbesim and EFMingo like this.
  11. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Yeah. That’s what my neighbour does.

I guess you could call her notice polite though.

I meant them too.
    They’re always super sweet and hand out free fliers. Sometimes they tell you they’ll see you in a couple weeks to find out what you thought about the fliers. I need to put out a polite notice like my neighbour and tell them all to buzz off. :p

EFMingo and Naomasa298 like this.
  12. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

I accidentally found a sure cure for them.

I met my first wife when I was a graduate student. She worked as the administrative assistant in the History Department office; we were introduced by my roommate, who had attended that university as an undergraduate. We were still in a dating relationship when I completed my masters and went home to start working. I drove from my home state to where she was every other weekend to see her. She was a good Roman Catholic, so nothing "happened." I slept on the couch in the living room of her apartment.

One Sunday morning she had just put breakfast on the table when the doorbell rang. We answered (both in our pajamas), and it was them -- the Jehovah's Witnesses. An entire family of them: husband, wife, and three young children. They started into their spiel, and we were both too polite to interrupt but we were both very aware that a perfectly good breakfast was getting cold. And then it happened.

One of the JWs said something about "You and you wife, blah blah blah," to which I innocently and unthinkingly responded, "Oh, we're not married."

There was a [very brief] moment of shocked silence, during which both of the JWs looked at their sweet, innocent children ... and then they disappeared.

13. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Good news is i do not have COVID.
    BUT...
    I do have a fever....
    :dead:

AntPoems likes this.
  14. AntPoems

Story time!

Many moons ago, I was out jogging on a lovely spring day. At one point, I passed a group of proselytizers (not sure which type) talking to someone on the street, but I just ran past without thinking much of them.

Then, a few blocks later, a car pulled up beside me, and three people emerged and asked if they could talk with me. They were the same missionary types that I had passed earlier, and I, being the curious type, said yes. We had a friendly chat for a few minutes, in which I admitted that I was an atheist, though not particularly hostile to religion, and then they gave me some Jesus tracts and we went our separate ways. It was ... a bit strange.

It wasn't until I got home that I realized WHY they had felt it was so important to talk with me. As I undressed and got ready to shower, I realized that I was wearing my nerdy XKCD shirt, featuring this cartoon.

[​IMG]

Apparently, supporting science is some kind of Batsignal for Christian missionaries. Quick! Someone save that poor empiricist's soul!

Set2Stun, EFMingo and Xoic like this.
  15. Solar

Solar Banned Contributor

Everything.

VicesAndSpices likes this.
  16. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I may have told this story here before, but one of my friends' father was a professor of Biblical Archeology at a very well-known Christian university. He knew his Bible backwards, forwards, and upside down, along with a formidable body of historical commentary, exegesis, hermaneutics, and a whole bunch of other words I have only a vague idea of the real meaning of.

He would just invite proselytizers in with a smile and discuss things calmly with them until they fled.

17. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Telemachus Sneezed
    Things that annoy me but shouldn't: Not being able to peek behind the curtain here anymore. It's been, what, over a year? and I'm still bumping against functions I don't have anymore.

But like Uncle Ben said, with moderate to middling power comes annoying responsibilities, and I think on balance I'm happier than I was back then.

18. Set2Stun

Set2Stun Rejection Collector Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

The Road - Cormac McCarthy
    I gave this a "like," but I just wanted to add that I loved this story :D

19. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

It's solar panel salespeople around here. Not sure why, but they knock on everyone's door once a month or so. The last one tried to math me about lowering my electric bills, to which I mathed back that it would take 14 years to break even on the solar panel investment.

20. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

One of the best stories I heard was from a friend's mother. She told door to door proselytizers that she was a nudist, and if they'd like to come in and take their clothes off, she'd be happy to talk to them about their beliefs. As far as I know, she never got a taker.

21. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

I'm not sure whether or not I should be annoyed by this ... but I am: lazy, good-for-nothing UPS drivers and postal persons.

I live in a semi-rural suburb. Houses are on large-ish lots, and mine is set back from the street a bit. Both my postal person and the UPS driver have taken to just dropping packages in the driveway, rather than get out of the truck and walk ten paces to either the covered front entry or the covered breezeway at the side door to the garage.

This afternoon it rained. About an hour after the rain started I looked out the kitchen window and saw -- a package, resting on the driveway gravel, getting rained on. So I donned my rubber duck shoes and went out to retrieve the package. The outer box was rather soggy. Mercifully, the inner box had been wrapped in a cocoon of plastic bubble wrap, so it was dry and intact. No thanks to UPS.

This is fairly recent behavior for both of them. I've been in this house for 27 years and this has only been a problem for the last six months or so. The worst part is, I don't dare complain, or they'll make it a point to find ways to trash my packages internally without showing external damage.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
    Earp and Iain Aschendale like this.
  22. AntPoems

I've been using the internet since 1996, but it still freaks me out when I look at a product online and then immediately start seeing ads for that product on every single web page I visit.

OurJud and Catriona Grace like this.
  23. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

What is up with today's dancing culture? We are supposed to stand in solo bubbles and swing our arms and legs around like morons. Where are the good old traditional partner dances? I bet it was some anti-social sociopath who came up with the idea that we are supposed to solo dance. Dancing is a game between people, a song between souls.

OurJud and love to read like this.
  24. OurJud

The “Tell us a bit about yourself” niceties at the beginning of quizzes.

No one gives a shit about the contestants’ home life!!! Just start asking the questions!

25. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Sigh.
    [​IMG]