Things that annoy me but shouldnt, part 2

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big soft moose, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I knew I shouldn't have googled it...

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  2. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

This is similar to a niggle of mine. Quite often we’re warned that an old show they’re about to run “Contains language and opinions which reflect the era, and which may offend some viewers”. It’s a roundabout way of saying the show contains racist and/or sexist language and opinions, but then we find said offensive language has been bleeped out :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
    AlyceOfLegend likes this.
  3. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

These Camp LeJune class action law suit ads are starting to annoy the hell out of me. True, the affected people deserve their compensation. That’s not what bothers me. It’s the parasites promising to get that compensation for them in exchange of upward of 40% of the take (if not more), all the while pretending to be in it strictly for the benefit of the injured.

Earp and Iain Aschendale like this.
  4. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

As someone who was stationed at Lejeune during the pertinent period, the ads annoy the hell out of me, too. I've thought about calling, but, as @NobodySpecial mentioned, I have no interest in making some ambulance-chaser wealthier.

5. AlyceOfLegend

AlyceOfLegend Senior Member Contest Winner 2022

Currently Reading::
    Fanfiction- Stranger Things, Supernatural
    Cough meds and sinus meds that do the job but keep me from sleeping all weekend, annoys me.

6. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

I was Army, not Marine Corps, and the nearest I've been to Camp LeJeune was several years ago when I drove a couple of guys from a trade show in Flroda north on I-95.

But I keep getting notices about the class action lawsuit, asking if I want to be a part of it. Pure spam -- I think they send those to every person in the U.S. -- if not to every person in the world.

7. Catriona Grace

Our best volunteer naturalist was also at Camp LeJeune during the pertinent period. His life has been a small hell with resulting ailments.

The firm I worked for did defense in asbestos litigation for a couple of decades. I have mixed feelings about the law suits brought by plaintiff attorneys for reasons I won't go into, but in their defense, much or even most of this work is done on a contingency basis- if they lose the case, they eat their expenses. Most people don't realize just how much time and how many expenses are involved in getting a case to and through trial. Thirty percent of the settlement used to be the average fee. Attorneys still make remarkably (sometimes obscenely) good money, but that entire thirty percent doesn't go into their personal pockets. Out of that fee, expenses are paid and the employees who work on the case are paid. That's a fair chunk of change, even when legal staff is as poorly paid as it was in our office.

Earp likes this.
  8. Earp

I understand and appreciate all that, but it seems to this layman's eye that most of the work in this case has been done, and the lawyers' contribution involves plugging each new client into the paperwork. Clerkish work - important, but not all that skilled. I could be dead wrong. I should call one of these guys and report back.

9. Catriona Grace

Nope, not that easy. (You never worked for a law firm, didja? ;))

Situations (jobs, exposure periods, medical records, etc.) vary from client to client. With each asbestos client, part of my job was to read and summarize a mountain of medical records and bills. One case- one out of the sixty or so I had at any given time- included two and a half banker's boxes of medical records. You wanna guess how many tens of thousands of pages that is, including bills and office notes written in indecipherable doctor's handwriting? I ordered most of those medical records and tracked down more from other providers that were mentioned in other records. I spent whole days just requesting medical records. Then there was the time I spent contacting care providers and saying some version of, where the hell are my records? Discovery has to be drafted in each case, and even with a basic template that required a good amount of time. Witnesses had to be located and interviewed. Depositions had to be scheduled for each case, and once the transcripts were received from the court reporter, those depositions had to be summarized. Documents had to be filed with the court. I could go on, but maybe you get the picture, and that was just my job. I haven't even touched on what the attorneys had to do, much less the legal secretaries and the poor runners.

Steerpike and Earp like this.
  10. Earp

As I said, I could be dead wrong.

Catriona Grace likes this.
  11. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

We had a public entity liability case, defending a City after an accident at an intersection. The sheer volume of medical records in that case was astonishing.

12. Catriona Grace

Deader than a doornail. ;)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
  13. Catriona Grace

It is amazing how much paper the system produces. In an oilfield accident case, we not only had boxes of medical records but oil and gas records as well. I Bates-stamped over 30,000 (yep, those zeros are right) pieces of evidence. Ya wanna know how long it took to Bates-stamp that many records, let alone index and cross index them? Oy, vey. Not to mention uff da.

Steerpike likes this.
  14. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I assume there are honest lawyers out there working on contingency, but I also assume that anyone who hired the "Sunday, Sunday, SUNDAY!" drag race voiceover guy to narrate their blanket TV ads is probably less than honest or competent. Anyway, the Marines never sent me farther east than Texas/Korea, depending on your definition of "east" so it's all moot for me.

15. Catriona Grace

One does wonder about those people. At one time, advertising one's firm at all was viewed askance.

16. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Yes, but they adddress that in the tiny small voice that goes real fast at the end of the commercial (verbal equivalent of fine print) that says "Choosing a law firm is important and should not be based solely on advertising."

17. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

If you go far enough east, it's west again.

18. Catriona Grace

East is east and west is west, and the wrong one I have chose...

Louanne Learning likes this.
  19. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Buttons that you have to hold / long press to operate. I understand their design is to prevent accidental switch on/off, but they’re always soft-touch type, with no physical ‘click’ to them, and as a consequence they feel unreliable and unsatisfying.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
    Jlivy3 and AlyceOfLegend like this.
  20. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Contest Winner 2022

Let's go where I'll keep on wearin'
    Those frills and flowers and buttons and bows
    Rings and things and buttons and bows...

21. Earp

Sad state of affairs when you have to go to the Urban Dictionary to see an actual definition of the word you're looking up. It's all about the clickz.

AntPoems likes this.
  22. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

The United States Postal Service ... tracking "service," in particular.

There was a time, not very long ago, when "tracking" meant "tracking." If you mailed a letter or a parcel with tracking, when you checked the USPS web site and entered the tracking number, you would see a chronological listing of all the places the letter or parcel had passed through on its way (maybe) to the intended destination.

No more, it seems. I recently mailed a small parcel -- with tracking. It took half a day for the USPS to even acknowledge that they had it. The next stop was a regional sorting center in the next state. After that ... just one entry, to the effect of "Moving Through Network." All that tells me is that "It's in our system and moving ... somewhere."

That's not very helpful. Benjamin Franklin would not be pleased.

23. Xoic

I clearly remember the last time tracking was actually tracking for me. In fact it was some kind of mega-tracking! It was in winter, must've been last year. Snow and ice were thick on the streets. I checked the tracking on the Amazon site and this is the one and only time it actually showed me a little map of my neighborhood. It showed the streets and houses and said the truck had 7 more stops before it got to me. The truck was a little green dot. By refreshing frequently I was able to watch it progress house by house until suddenly it stopped midway up what I know to be a long driveway going up a treacherous hill. It was stuck halfway up that hill for like 45 minutes. This was in the late evening, just before the delivery day ended.

The green dot representing the truck remained there for like an hour, then suddenly it was on the hgihway moving fast and the destination said the name of a city in Missouri, far from here. It either got pulled out of the ditch or it was on the back of a tow truck, but obviously there was no chance of getting my package that night. At one point I thought about walking over there and asking if the driver could just hand me my package, if I showed him my driver's licence to prove who I am. I doubt he or she would have done it though.

Since then 'tracking' is a line with four points on it—Ordered, Shipped, Out For Delivery, and Delivered. The points light up one by one over a period of days. There's no actual tracking information.

24. Xoic

Lol, I also had this experience recently with an Amazon delivery. The site told me my package had been delivered but it wasn't on my porch. I went out and checked the other side of the duplex but it wasn't there either. I came back in and checked my email and there was the delivery confirmation, with a little picture of my package sitting on a neighbor's front porch. I instantly recognized the house, so I just strolled over there and picked it up.

25. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

Indeed. I imagine such a thing as a website, along with most other modern technology, would probably leave him either freaked out or totally confused.

AntPoems likes this.