Things That Annoy Me, But Shouldn't

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Earp, Jul 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan McLeod

Dan McLeod Member

People switching the kettle off at the plug.

I don't check, I walk away, I come back, and pour cold water into my mug .

Nesian, Some Guy, Thundair and 4 others like this.
  2. Martin Beerbom

Martin Beerbom Senior Member

Fries with mayo is the best there is! But what do I know, I'm just 5 km away from the Netherlands on the German side...

The problem may be that good mayo (or a special similar white condiment, Frittessauss as they call it) is very hard to get on the other side of the Atlantic. I've lived in FL for ten years, and I found just one easily obtainable version that I deemed just acceptable.

3. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

I did notice it had it's own special flavor to it over there. I spend most my time in Eindhoven or Acht when I go up there. The ketchup is strangely better too. I'm not a great fan of dutch food, but some things are just made better.

4. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I love equal parts yellow mustard and mayo mixed together. Not a fan of ketchup, so I use that as a substitute when it's available.

Cave Troll likes this.
  5. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

Where I was raised, we had shoestring potatoes. In my younger years, I could buy wet shoes for 25 cents, which was a flour gravy over yesterdays shoe string potatoes.

upload_2019-11-19_14-54-39.jpeg

6. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    That sounds like some proto-poutine.

Thundair and Cave Troll like this.
  7. Lemie

Lemie Contributor Contributor

Stupid people.

I know they can't help it but it's painful when you have to go through every small detail over and over... Slowly... I just want to do my job, not babysit someone who's older than my mother.

Martin Beerbom likes this.
  8. Martin Beerbom

When I was living in FL, almost everything (in products like condiments, i.e. mayo) was made with soybean oil. You had to go to great length to find something else.

Here in Germany (and in German made food products) soybean oil is virtually non-existent. It's mostly Canola (rapeseed, Colza are alternatives names I find on Wiki. "Raps" for the plant, and "Rapsöl", in German.), sunflower, or corn.

I'm sure that must influence the taste.

Cave Troll and EFMingo like this.
  9. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

When people moan about ‘foreigners’ and their access to our NHS, and say, “We’re the ones who’ll be paying for that!”

So tell me, how much exactly, is your wage packet going to be short by this month?

I’ll hazard a guess at £0:00

jannert likes this.
  10. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

well - the nhs budget in 2019 is £114 billion... that's paid for by general taxation. (trying hard not to turn this into a debate room topic)

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  11. OurJud

I’ve no doubt, but that doesn’t mean our wage packets would be instantly fatter were it not for these ‘foreigners’.

No government has ever been interested in paying blue collar workers more than the bare minimum they need to live on.

12. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

No it doesnt - i'm not a xenophobe either , but it is true that the NHS has a limited resource and is already over stretched. There is some logic to the argument that we shouldn't ad to its already overloaded burden

13. OurJud

No, certaintly not. I just don’t buy this notion that us as individuals would be better off financially.

Rockatansky and Some Guy like this.
  14. big soft moose

as things stand we wouldn't - however certain political parties wish to increase taxes to ease the burden, so you could make a rational argument that easing the burden in other ways saves money, but thats definitely debate room fair

Iain Aschendale and Some Guy like this.
  15. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Here's a thing. I'm a dialysis patient. Probably 80% if the nurses on the dialysis units in my city are foreign, and most of them are Philippino (I have no idea why). I don't think it's fair that they are paying taxes AND have to pay a health surcharge to access the NHS. And they get charged for parking too.

16. Naomasa298

Here's something that annoys me. I walk with crutches, so I'm slow at crossing roads. I prefer to wait for cars to pass before crossing so I don't have to hurry across.

Cars that wait for me, while I'm patently waiting for them to go really bloody annoys me.

Iain Aschendale and Cave Troll like this.
  17. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Really, any discussion on the fairness or lack thereof of the NHS, American healthcare, the shakai-hoken, or whatever needs to head off to the Debate Room.

That's the friendly nudge.

Rockatansky, Some Guy and Cave Troll like this.
  18. Naomasa298

OK, here's another thing that annoys me. People who open the door for you from the outside (i.e. push the door inwards away from them), and then stand there waiting for you to push past them.

Go IN to the room and hold the door from the other side, people!

Martin Beerbom, Earp and Cave Troll like this.
  19. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I only got 1138 words written this week.

Thundair and Naomasa298 like this.
  20. Noir

Noir Member

When I'm standing in line to get food at the end of a really long work day and somebody asks me if I caught "the game". I get that I'm dressed in a safety vest, dirty jeans, work boots, and a tool belt and I look every part of the "typical working man" who is getting ready to go home so he can crack open a "brewskie" and watch ESPN highlights but unless they're talking about D&D (and they never are) then I don't know which game they're referring to and I don't care.

I also get annoyed when neighbors find out that I work in a trade and then suddenly want me to come diagnose their furnace for free but that one feels like a justified annoyance. Not only do I hate my job and don't want to do it on my own time, I don't work for my boss for free and you're no exception.

21. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I've had a few occasions where I've negotiated a deal to split the difference between what your boss would pay you and what I'd pay your boss though. Done right, everyone wins.

Noir and Some Guy like this.
  22. Martin Beerbom

On a related note: People in the supermarket standing in the way, unaware of their surroundings.

People getting their carts, going to the entrance, and then stopping IN the entrance to sort their wallets and bags! Aargh! Can't you do that a few meters further in or out so that others (I) can get past without bothering you?

Or people standing in front of the shelf, perusing the goods, with their cart behind them, perpendicular to the shelf blocking the whole aisle.

Or people stopping for a chat, nothing wrong with that per se, except they're at the narrowest part of the store, blocking again.

23. OurJud

People.

Cilogical, Rockatansky and Cave Troll like this.
  24. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Come to Japan, where the old women, having completed their journey on the escalator then stop and decide what to do while blocking the entire thing leaving those behind them frantically trying to back up or down the moving stairs to avoid running the geriatric old bats over and sending them to their rewards. It's gotten so bad that the escalators in Kyoto at the new Loft department store have signs and an audible announcement asking people not to be fucking idiots block the escalator when they should be clearing the way.

25. OurJud

When people buy something, like a flask or mug or soup cup (in a nutshell anything that comes with a product information label stuck on it) and don’t take that label off. How can they not? Or even worse, attempt to take it off and don’t care that they’ve left behind huge pieces of the backing paper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.