Things That Annoy Me, But Shouldn't

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Earp, Jul 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Actually, you know what?

Dubs annoy the hell out of me, no matter what language, and maybe it shouldn't.

Martin Beerbom likes this.
  2. Martin Beerbom

Martin Beerbom Senior Member

Yes. I mean, by now it's easy enough to get the original version, but frequently I just have to do the German dub (when I watch with friends or family who are not fluent enough, or in the theater – living in semi-rural Germany means there's no theater showing original versions nearby.)

OTOH, there are sometimes German dubs which are really really good or entertaining, in addition to the original, that is.

Naomasa298 and Steve Rivers like this.
  3. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Contributor Contributor

I remember way back fifteen, maybe even eighteen years ago, I was scrolling through the really obscure satellite channels and found Star Trek The Next Generation dubbed in german.

They'd given Captain Picard's voice to an actor that sounded like he was an obese forty-a-day smoker who worked on a building site. I was all "Stop! Stoppit! Patrick Stewart doesn't sound like that!! He's thin and reedy, not gruff and bass-y! You scoundrels!"

But then again, maybe he should've been portrayed by an obese forty-a-day smoking builder... that would at least explain why his crewmates nanny him all the time into stopping him from going on away missions.

Naomasa298 and Martin Beerbom like this.
  4. Naomasa298

Dubs of anything Japanese are the bane of my life.

Then again, if Soul Calibur V was anything to go by, I'd hate to listen to Yoda in Japanese.

5. Martin Beerbom

He had two different voices. The first one was a very distinguished voice talent (he was the German voice for Robert Redford, for instance) with a large range. Then they changed networks here in Germany, and this voice actor decided to not continue, for whatever reasons. The second guy got the job because he actually looks a bit like Stewart.

Neither of them really sounded like Stewart, but then, precious few German voice over actors do. His voice is just too damn impressive. Because of that, he didn't really had a "German voice" for a long time. They seemed to cycle between four or five usual suspects for him. Mostly with deep voluminous voices, which in German dubbing often means scratchy. (There is one who I would like to be his German voice, but this guy is not primarily a dubbing actor. He did dub Stewart's part in a couple of animated movies, and he has the range and power, but, he simply does not do that much dubbing.)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  6. Naomasa298

I love that story about how, when they wanted to dub Terminator 2 in German, Schwarzenegger offered to voice himself, but they refused because his Austrian accent makes him sound country bumpkin...

7. Martin Beerbom

During the 1980s, there were a whole bunch of low budget action movies co-produced by German companies. The secondary cast were quite often played by German dubbing actors, who had to provide the voices for the non-German primary cast, so you had German dubbing actors being dubbed by other German dubbing actors...

Malisky, Some Guy and Iain Aschendale like this.
  8. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

To those dickheads who tell me they don't understand how I can have no sense of direction, "I can find my way anywhere in the world with nothing but a compass."
    I say, "Fine. I'll drop your ass off at the North Pole with your precious compass, where every direction is South by South-South. Don't be late for dinner, asshole."

Cave Troll, Malisky and Steve Rivers like this.
  9. Naomasa298

I was wandering around Odawara in Japan. In order to get back to the train station, I needed to turn around and walk in a straight line/ Despite the large signs saying "TRAIN STATION THIS WAY" (in Japanese), I failed.

Some Guy, love to read and Cave Troll like this.
  10. Rockatansky

Rockatansky Banned

Landmarks, landmarks are your friend. Observe the area, pick out things that stand out, a tower, a Red Roof to building in a row of brown roof buildings, a semi-truck parking lot,

That awful smell from the fish market

11. Naomasa298

How can you get lost when you have to walk in a STRAIGHT LINE?

(by "you" I mean "I")

Some Guy and Cave Troll like this.
  12. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I remember a friend teaching me to triangulate my way around the Eminonu side of Istanbul by recognizing which minarets were where in relation to each other...

Cave Troll and Rockatansky like this.
  13. Rockatansky

Rockatansky Banned

Honestly, I don't know. Lol.

One time on the freeway I was so focused on traffic I drove past my off-ramp. But to be fair it was night time, it's a little more difficult to see.

Maybe you had a lot on your mind?

14. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    :supergrin:
    [​IMG]

love to read and Rockatansky like this.
  15. MissBadWolf

MissBadWolf Senior Member

Wow! I was going to say that my Bluetooth keyboard does not work when I am on the phone. Now it is. I am trying to check on the status of a nightgown I ordered last week that apparently has not shipped out. It was part of a bigger order. I think I am on hold right now to see what happened to it. I think I placed the order on the second of this month.
    Now I am talking to someone. They said it got canceled.

16. MissBadWolf

My Oreo cookie broke in half when I picked it up to eat. I got a free kid’s meal from a place called Charley’s at a mall near my home. Someone apparently ordered a chicken strip kid’s meal assuming it was a chicken sandwich. After the meal was made, the customer told the GM she wanted chicken sandwich not the kids meal. The GM made the customer pay another dollar to upgrade to a small chicken sandwich and fry special.
    Oh why that GM gave me the kid’s meal was that she knows I would like it I guess.
    Edit she also know that I do not have much money at the moment.

17. MissBadWolf

I do not like my body shape but apparently some guys think it is sexy or something. I would love to be thin, but I like to eat too much for that to happen apparently. I also do not like yo yo dieting. I probably can take the weight off if I tried hard enough but then keeping the weight off is another issue. Of course, I fear if I starve myself to get thin I would also get cranky and go into a binge to get back into a better attitude.

I do not like diets. Too many rules to keep in mind. Also diet drinks and food is not necessarily good for one long term.

18. Rockatansky

Rockatansky Banned

YouTube book Review/ analyzing channels.

They always sound so pretentious and pseudo-intellectual to me. Giving their opinions as fact, and of course interjecting their own Politics as Right Think.

And ironically, shed political views and mistaking their opinions for facts, skew their critiques or analyzing.

I watched one tonight, because it sounded interesting, what he presented wasn't so bad as much as how he presented it. And it was a pretty one-sided argument at that,

I'm astonished by how many Subs he has, however the like to dislike ratio and the number of comments don't seem to get be close to his sub count. So I feel that something's fishy there.

Cave Troll likes this.
  19. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

My MC doesn't understand the male obsession for 'fuck-fantasy' women. He's still a guy, but he can take it or leave it. He likes a woman with some curve in the tummy, bouncy-jiggly ass, thicker in the legs, 'normal boobs' - normal being however they are. He is turned off by 'perfect tits-and-ass' and 'hardbodies'. He is especially turned off by women who have changed what they are to be 'sexy', especially attitude. His number one preference - a smile. His obsession is with how a woman's body changes from moment to moment, even just breathing. No woman is ever the same at any time. He is fascinated. His dearest desire is a wife and family with lots of kids and lots of sex, of course. Too bad he's destined for more. And, there's his curse, or so he thinks.
    Why do we love to torture the good souls?

Dogberry's Watch and Cave Troll like this.
  20. MissBadWolf

Why does bed time come so quickly at night? Then end so suddenly in the morning?
    Either bed time comes too fast or my roommate likes to go to bed too early.

Some Guy likes this.
  21. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I did that for 10 chapters in a shit book, but I did read big
    chunks of it and add commentary to what was writ. It helps
    when the writing is shit from the start, and politics or right
    think are not a thing, just the raw reactions and noting how
    shit it all is on an in depth level.
    I still maintain that the lady who wrote it is an: :p
    [​IMG]

Steve Rivers and Rockatansky like this.
  22. Rockatansky

Rockatansky Banned

I should have been a little more specific, I do enjoy readings and off-the-cuff commentary. Where it doesn't get too deep outside of the this sentence doesn't work because of this or this is redundant, excetera

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Cave Troll likes this.
  23. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

That Peloton advert... “Okay, let’s do this!”

Take your exercise bike and shove it up your sweaty fucking arse!!

Steve Rivers, Some Guy and Cave Troll like this.
  24. MissBadWolf

I say it might take up too much space for a coat hanger

25. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

How you gonna get them there?

Some Guy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.