Things That Annoy Me, But Shouldn't

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Earp, Jul 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

I only say next if it's not in the current week. But if it's already that day in the week, then I'd just say see you on Thursday. If it's further than a week away, I specify how many weeks, or to be really safe, give the date.

Cave Troll and Hammer like this.
  2. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

[​IMG]

Some Guy, Cave Troll and Hammer like this.
  3. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

It gets even more complicated for me when talking about weekends...

Monday/Tuesday - what did you do this weekend? (refers to the weekend just gone) and what are you doing next weekend? (refers to the next logical weekend)

Thursday/Friday - what are you doing this weekend? (refers to the next logical weekend!) or, even worse, I can't make it this weekend, shall we do next weekend? refers to the weekend following the next logical o_O

Wednesday - Nurse!

4. Rzero

Rzero Reluctant voice of his generation Contributor

This might sound strange, but I've wondered for some time now, maybe you can tell me, what is it with Brits and cueing? From without, it appears to be a national obsession second to soccer football, but less passionately observed, obviously. An American wouldn't have come up with that example. We don't even have names for it other than "standing in line." I've read posts and short stories and all sorts of things wherein cues and jumping cues and whatnot were the entire focus. The first half of Boys and Girls by Dennis Kelly comes to mind. What is that? We call cue jumping cutting in line. Does that really ruin someone's day? Does the cashier or whoever is running the line really dictate who gets to jump ahead? Most of us let the old and/or infirmed go ahead of us, of course, but the cashier or bread man doesn't have anything to say about it. They have no authority over the line/cue.

OurJud likes this.
  5. OurJud

:D

I've always been confused by the idea we as a nation are obsessed with queueing. We're not the only country that has 'wait in line' systems, obviously, but I think the idea stems from us firmly believing we should do exactly that when waiting in line... wait.

And yes, queue-jumping does ruin our day. What right has a person, to think they deserve to be served before someone who happens to be ahead of them in said queue?

matwoolf and Rzero like this.
  6. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Also our massive and national fixation with spelling..

GSTQ.

7. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I can hear the fundamentalist family down the street getting their sound equipment ready for what promises to be a raucous round of audio fire and brimstone.

Given the way the citizenry is rather wound up at the moment, I've a feeling my next post may have a tragic edge to it.

8. flawed personality

Queuing in a queue is what we do when waiting to pay, or obtain a parking space in a busy car park. I have seen Americans do the same, but we don't appreciate anyone jumping ahead, because it's considered poor etiquette. We also queue to board transport, although in those cases it's usually first to the bus stop, last on the bus. Train commuters are a bit more civilised. :p

A cue is a wooden stick used in snooker or pool. It can also double as a weapon if needed in a bar fight. :p

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  9. Rzero

Okay, I think you're right. I mean of course you're right, but it's often different in America (home of the "airplane"), and I still think I may have had it wrong. We barely use the word, and I may have been confusing "queue" - a line of people in the UK with "cue" - to prompt. I know some music apps use the word "cue" for the stack of songs playing next, and that's the only place I see it. (I listen to audiobooks, so queue is cue is Q.) God, have I used that word wrong a hundred times on this very forum? That's embarrassing. I mean sort of. For a minute. Meh, who cares?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Some Guy likes this.
  10. flawed personality

I would presume it's another word like cheque. That's how we spell it, yet you guys go for check.

Rzero and Cave Troll like this.
  11. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

[​IMG]

Dogberry's Watch likes this.
  12. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Seeing a television commercial featuring an actor whose work you've always enjoyed pimping for a law firm that's scavenging for customers to join a class-action lawsuit against opiod manufacturers.

13. Rzero

Anything good, we stole from the french, so at least we all spell better than they do. :)

Cave Troll likes this.
  14. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Seeing Snoop Dogg shilling for what looks like some really dodgy car insurance. Not a fan of his, but I know he's a Big Name in rap and it makes me wonder about the state of his finances.

15. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Depends which way you're facing.

Some Guy likes this.
  16. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Now, one could read this sentence in two ways.

You've seen and actor whose work you've enjoyed, and they're pimping for a law firm.

The commercial features an actor, and you've enjoyed pimping their work for said law firm.

Some Guy likes this.
  17. OurJud

The sachet of (almost non existent) sauce they put in pots of Pot Noodle. Why do they even bother?

18. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Yes. As I mentioned above I've given up commas for Lent. There may be more of this if Easter is virus-postponed.

19. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Easter gone viral!!

20. Martin Beerbom

Martin Beerbom Senior Member

Liquid soap dispensers dispensing too much soap. It's a long-standing annoyance of mine. The surfactants that make soap and detergents work are effective little buggers. One doesn't need much to get the desired effect. But they're dispensing too much, wasting both soap and water (since you need more water to wash off the excess amount of soap.)

21. Historical Science

Historical Science Contributor Contributor

Even before the quarantine, my roommate does nothing but watch Youtube videos. I'm beginning to question if he ever turns off his computer because videos are playing all night every night as he sleeps. Half of his sentences begin with "I saw in this documentary..." He thinks he knows everything about everything because of amateur Youtube documentaries but admitted to me once that he had never read a book cover to cover.

But what a lovely morning! :)

love to read and Cave Troll like this.
  22. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

When the term "dad-bod" is used to reference someone like Jason Momoa or Chris Hemsworth when they aren't bulking up for a film.

In what effing universe is that a dad bod? And if you think "well, he is a dad, so..." is funny, Kyle, I slept with your dad a few years ago. Who's laughing now?

[​IMG]

23. OurJud

The scene is Indiana Jones (atToD) where Jones is conversing with Chatter Lal over the palace feast. It annoys me because of how many times Lal addresses Jones by name. Almost every time he speaks it starts or ends with "Doctor Jones..."

"Doctor Jones, blablablablabla...". "Blablablablabla, Doctor Jones."

This all links to my other gripe with movie baddies, and how they're always this cliched intelligent and cultured person despite their evilness, and always say things like, "Can we not sit down and discuss this like civil human beings?" and love classical music.

It's not even the intentional hypocrisy/juxtapose either, just the frequency it's used.

24. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

My stepmom is singing in her home office and I was annoyed at first but then realized she doesn't ever let herself sing for whatever reason, so I'll just be a good kid and let her have her moment of joy.

25. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Take that, Kyle! What's up now?

Dogberry's Watch and Cave Troll like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.