Things That Annoy Me, But Shouldn't

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Earp, Jul 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Historical Science

Historical Science Contributor Contributor

When you go to click on something but the entire webpage shifts and you click on something else.

Some Guy, Xoic, Rzero and 7 others like this.
  2. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

Cloudy with a chance of meatballs. IDK

Sunday weather app says overcast with 10% chance of rain. What actually does that mean?*

Out of the 24 that make this day, am I to get (was I to get?) 2.4 hours of the wet stuff? Heavy, light? Maybe, a 1/10th chance in a 24hr stretch, a solitary raindrop'll fall on the wireless weather station somewhere in this region and register a dose of wetness for the records. Anyways, annoyed for I was stood with hose fully unreeled and in hand, when the spitter spatter of tiny drops came my way.

* I let me google that for me once, but have forgotten the outcome—so quick to search nowadays that I'm imporous(word?)— it doesn't soak in.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  3. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

But it saves money on your water bill. :)

SethLoki and Cave Troll like this.
  4. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    This damn site on my tablet comes in at a nice readable font size. But as soon as I do anything, touch anything, shift the page an iota, the font slams back down into something suitable for teens with big magnifying glasses. I think I've got the font on my tablet set to a readable level for these never-good and aging eyes, but somehow the forum demands that things be viewed on its terms.

5. Oxymaroon

Oxymaroon Contributor Contributor

How many is/are three times less than 100?
    Some time after the turn of this fatuous century, we stopped being able to calculate multiples or fractions and switched to a system of rough-comparison math.
    A building is no longer three times as tall as its neighbour; it is three times taller than the building next to it, B.
    Now, the first statement would be easy to verify: If building B is five stories tall, building A has to be 5x3=15 stories tall, else the statement is false.
    The second statement is impossible to verify: If building B is five stories, building A ought to be (5x3)+5= 20 stories tall... except that 'than' is not a valid mathematical operation, and so its meaning is ambiguous.
    In the case of comparison downward - as x times smaller than - the statement is incalculable and usually inapplicable in actual numbers.
    If building A is one third the size of building B, we might guess that it's one floor plus a mezzanine, or else compare the actual measurements in meters or feet.
    However, if building A is three times shorter than building B, logically, it would have to be 10 stories underground. If the statement had any practical sense...
    ...so we just let it go by, without bothering to make sense of it...

Which, of course, is the whole point.

This wouldn't annoy me so much in commercial media, (yes, it did, but I might have gotten over it, as I wave other obfuscation ploys) but when scientists take it up in their media presentations -
    well, that should not merely annoy, but alarm everyone.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    Some Guy and Cave Troll like this.
  6. flawed personality

If I could understand mathematical speech, I'm sure I would agree. :p

Rzero and Cave Troll like this.
  7. Oxymaroon

And that shouldn't bother me!
    yet it does

8. flawed personality

I don't understand a lot of things, so it's not personal. :p

9. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I missed that.

10. Oxymaroon

Somehow, I find it less than comforting!

11. Oxymaroon

I still miss it!

12. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Opaque video game references, especially if they catch on and evolve over time and use. You ask someone for an explanation and neither the current version nor its antecedent make a lick of sense to you. :wtf:

Iain Aschendale and Cave Troll like this.
  13. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

I would like to point out that the statement "three times as short" makes equally little sense in this scenario, because tallness is a measurable concept, whereas shortness is not. It's comparative.

flawed personality likes this.
  14. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    @Oxymaroon
    :superidea:
    [​IMG]

15. Oxymaroon

Hence the phrasing "one third as tall".
    Is there, like, a taboo against even mentioning fractions?

16. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Fractions are mischievous gremlins to people like me. Not everyone can be an engineer/rocket scientist like you :bigtongue:

17. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Fucking gophers. The little bastards are somewhat fun and till all the clay soil at my home, but they ate all my plants. Now I have to install these wire mesh things that stab me repeatedly every time I plant anything to even have a chance at growing anything. They even ate the God damn tree roots. Actually sunk my flowering myrtle. Completely out of hand. They are fuzzy buddies though...

Some Guy and Cave Troll like this.
  18. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

No Frodo, the mind numbing length of integration problems are a form of dark tongue.

19. Oxymaroon

I honestly didn't know the concept of 1/3 is beyond most people nowadays. I should have... and now I do. Thanks for the update!

20. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    [​IMG]

21. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Even the concept of 1 is difficult for me to grasp.

Cave Troll and Hammer like this.
  22. Homer Potvin

Funny you mention this, because I've been playing with ratios a lot more lately. Percentages are great for expressing financial data, but I've found that ratios work the best for expressing the relationship of physical objects. Both are rate stats, both present the same mathematical conclusion, but percentages sometimes miss the spirit of the problem you're trying to solve.

For example, my chef and I noticed one day that we were butchering more ribeyes than tenderloins. Like, a lot more. I pulled up some sales reports and started looking at the steak category over the last 4 weeks. Tenderloin's "share" of the market was ticking down from 45% to like 41% or something. And ribeye was climbing from 32% to 36%. I don't remember the exact numbers, but there was nothing in the category that jumped out at me. But then I realized that I was only looking at how each steak related to the total of all steaks, when what I really wanted to know was how tenderloin and ribeye related to each other. So I flipped them into ratios and discovered this curve:

2.5:1
    2.2: 1
    1.8: 1
    1.4 :1

Over the course of four weeks, we went from selling two and half tenderloins for each ribeye to selling less than one and half tenderloins per ribeye. What happened was that we had recently changed the cut of the tenderloin from 8 oz to 10 oz and raised the price a few bucks. What we didn't realize was that instead of being $8 cheaper than ribeye, tenderloin was now only $3 cheaper on the menu. Once the perceived value disappeared, the ribeye looked better on the menu.

23. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

"One of the most vivid arithmetic failings displayed by Americans occurred in the early 1980s, when the A&W restaurant chain released a new hamburger to rival the McDonald’s Quarter Pounder. With a third-pound of beef, the A&W burger had more meat than the Quarter Pounder; in taste tests, customers preferred A&W’s burger. And it was less expensive. A lavish A&W television and radio marketing campaign cited these benefits. Yet instead of leaping at the great value, customers snubbed it.

Only when the company held customer focus groups did it become clear why. The Third Pounder presented the American public with a test in fractions. And we failed. Misunderstanding the value of one-third, customers believed they were being overcharged. Why, they asked the researchers, should they pay the same amount for a third of a pound of meat as they did for a quarter-pound of meat at McDonald’s. The “4” in “¼,” larger than the “3” in “⅓,” led them astray."

Source: NY Times

24. Homer Potvin

That's awesome. Further proof that there's nothing dumber than an American consumer. Do you think they're getting smarter now that they've been forced to stay home and can't spend money? I hope not... my livelihood depends on it!

25. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Americans manage okay with quarters and dimes, and half-pounders [seethe, rage...] ?

Also it’s early in the morning @HP and that anecdote of the tenderloin economics nearly killed me off. It is my day off - giving me the - in tests 8 out of 10 owners who expressed a preference said their cat preferred it lesson - is degrading & cruel.

Anyways, I believed all the restaurant managers and self-employed clowns and stand-up influencers would be turning to the fields right now, the pay-back, pulling up the potatoes and beetroots, & turnips, all covered in mud. [or putting them in, either, or, fucking math(z)]

Last edited: May 11, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.