Things That Annoy Me, But Shouldn't

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Earp, Jul 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    Thanks to those of you who answered my question about addressing women. It will be helpful the next time I shop and need assistance.

EDIT: I tried using "ma'am" once but I apparently pronounced it as "madam" (as in a brothel madam) so I don't use it anymore.....too easy to offend someone.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

My mother was, before she retired a teacher, i remember her asking her sixth form (thats year 12) pupils for their emails so she could send out some lesson slides, and then her puzzling over one lads email divetart69 ... "whats Divet Art" she said "is it like Corel Draw ?" .... "mum that's Dive Tart"

3. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    Why exactly does every business in the world want my postal code, my e-mail, or my phone number? What possible use is it to them?

I mean, I duck into a barber's or a saloon or whatever it is called this week for a haircut and they want my phone number. I tell them I'm deaf, I don't use the phone and they say they can't serve me without a phone number?! Excuse me?? Do you want my $20 for giving me a haircut or not? There are lots of haircutting places that don't ask for my personal information. And, yes, in my city haircuts are less than $20 with tip. I normally pay $16.95 for the haircut and $2 for the tip.

Most restaurants I go to, thankfully do not ask me for my address, my phone number, e-mail, DNA profile, full legal name (first, middle, last), country of origin.......it's incredibly intrusive and I resent it a lot. I delete more than 10 e-mails a day that are crap e-mails.

This has to have something to do with marketing, right? Do you really get more business from doing this than you lose people who are annoyed with the intrusion into their private lives?

4. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Woman at the grocery store wearing a mask the same color as her skin, with a huge toothy smile drawn on the front and ruby-red lips. Freaked me out.

5. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Telemachus Sneezed
    Since I used it in a story (after checking to see that no one else had it) I registered the gmail address of

69cockthumper69

Haven't had occasion to use it yet :)

Homer Potvin likes this.
  6. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

There's a certain style of film making that irritates me immensely, often used in lower budget fare, seemingly to try and mask a lack of skill, mastery and experience of the art form. I tried to watch the post-apocalyptic Arnie Schwarzenegger film Maggie, but within seconds could see it was a typical example of the style I describe; muted pallet, closely-cropped shots with a handheld camera that drifts in and out of focus, laboured editing.

Watching a film shouldn't feel like a chore.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  7. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Contest Winner 2022

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    I remember those meetings. The facilitator/leader of the meeting made a difference too. We had a director who tended to -- no, not tended to, did -- ramble on with personal stories and association gossip, so the meetings averaged 2 hours long. A new director, new philosophy, new style, and we were in and out in about 45 minutes. Far better all the way around.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  8. Martin Beerbom

Martin Beerbom Senior Member

I hate that. Superiors who cannot end a meeting properly, so we couldn't get to do our work in time, and then said superiors complained to us that the work was not done on time.

It got better when we got smartphones and tablets, so we could do some of the work while the rambling was going on. I still hate when people cannot learn to say "Dismiss!"

9. Rad Scribbler

Rad Scribbler Faber est suae quisque fortunae Contributor

A thing that annoys me, and it does!

One of our employees came to work yesterday with signs and symptoms of Covid. He was promptly instructed to go home and told not to come back until he gets tested and the result is negative.

Why, oh why, don't people listen. Which part of 'if you're showing symptoms of Covid stay home and get a test' don't they understand?

Many of our staff, myself included, are annoyed as hell with him :mad:

10. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Residential dishwashing machines.

Not
    industrial, not restaurant.

Residential.

Unless you're the freak'n Brady Bunch, it feels like a spectacular waste of space and resources, and its status as a home-buying deal-maker-or-breaker feels ludicrous.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    Hammer and Iain Aschendale like this.
  11. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

20 minutes before closing, an "incident" happens.
    As the highest ranking staff member in the building, I had to handle it. Guest asked for my name to lodge a complaint against me.
    had to stay a little after close to write an incident report detailing what happened.

[​IMG]

12. iowawriter

iowawriter Senior Member

I started my writing career covering Iowa high school football and still have a fondness for Friday nights.

So I'm on Twitter looking at updates and pics. I see one school's jerseys have white numbers on white jerseys.

ARGHHHHHH.

Those numbers are so difficult to read and I felt for the radio station guys calling the game and anyone keeping stats for it.

EFMingo likes this.
  13. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

They do it online? I get those from time to time... first and last. I think I got called a "loser" once. Made my night.

14. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

nope. she asked for the director's extension, and took down my name as well. So I think it will be a phone call. although, if she's tech savvy, she may leave a nasty facebook comment on our website. we've gotten those before.
    I'm just annoyed because a) I've been reamed out by this person before a few weeks ago at a different location, and b) like last time, it was about COVID policies that she didnt like that I have no control over.

oh, and i had to leave late because of it.

Rad Scribbler and Homer Potvin like this.
  15. GraceLikePain

GraceLikePain Senior Member

Edit: It's pretty annoying when I click on a link and I end up on last unread instead of the last page of a thread...lol.

16. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

One good thing about being the boss is that there's nobody for assholes to complain to.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  17. Rad Scribbler

Rad Scribbler Faber est suae quisque fortunae Contributor

Hang in there, JT. The only time some people are happy is when they're miserable.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  18. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Competitive posting

In a group I am about to leave, the day always starts with multiple re-posts of the exact same thing from different people all trying to be the first to post Thing X.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  19. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Competitive posting

In a group I am about to leave, the day always starts with multiple re-posts of the exact same thing from different people all trying to be the first to post Thing X.

:D

20. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Here's one for the WF mods. You probably don't get too much of this here though.

People who post with "X isn't allowed on this forum", and then go on to post that thing they just said wasn't allowed.

Or people who report something, and then proceed to pour oil onto the flames by responding to the post they just reported.

EFMingo and J.T. Woody like this.
  21. big soft moose

We used to see a fair bit of the second one... thats why we practice what we call the clean hands rule.. that is if there's a fight on a thread we're not going to waste time trying to work out who started it and who said what about whose mum... everybody in the blast radius is going to catch some frag

22. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    "Mods please feel free to delete if not allowed..."

Why thanks, I was afraid I was going to have to leave that blatant rule violation, glad you gave me permission to do my job!

(It's the phrasing. "I hope it's okay to post this" expresses the same cautious thought)

Naomasa298 likes this.
  23. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

*hangs head in shame* I admit, I did that recently.

24. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

It's when it's too obvious of a rule violation, or the same person doing it multiple times (the usual) that's a real problem. Never hurts to just ask though.

Naomasa298 likes this.
  25. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    One thing I always remember about this thread is that it's the "Things that annoy me but shouldn't" section. Meaning that every little peeve expressed here (should be) is an admission that the poster is bothered out of proportion to the offense. Most people who use the "feel free to delete" are using it in good faith and it's just the phrasing that bugs me.

Naomasa298 and Rzero like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.