Things That Annoy Me, But Shouldn't

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Earp, Jul 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    He's got the cadence and the mannerisms, but not the particular timbre that grates on me.

3. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

"Press B to continue"

NO. 'B' is obviously the 'Back' button, and 'A' is obviously the 'Accept' or 'OK' button.

izzybot likes this.
  4. Lemie

Lemie Contributor Contributor

"Here is a good job for you! They only need you to work for free for two months before they can decide if they're going to employ you or not. Great, right?"

Yeah, I probably won't need to eat - or for that matter pay for any other expenses in two months. And at the end when you decide it's better to take another intern instead of giving me a job? Well - I'll be so happy about another experience to boost my CV! ...and I'll be skinny and hot after not eating. Hey, maybe this wasn't such a bad idea...

:supercry:

flawed personality likes this.
  5. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Oh so that's why 'X' is 'accept'. But it's like an edgier accept: aXept.

Still not sure how to explain the square and the circle...

6. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

'X' should obviously be a cancel button. Not only does it stand for "eXit", it's also a cross which means cancel.

Don't get me started on Playstation controllers with their stupid shapes. What's wrong with using ABXY like a normal person?

flawed personality and KaTrian like this.
  7. Lemie

So the writer of the book I've been listening to made SUCH a big deal not to use a pronoun when talking about the protagonists partner. So many awkward lines and the name - Sam - over used until it became cringe-worthy. What is the big twist - can anyone guess?

It's a woman. The protagonist is a lesbian. OMG.

I have no clue why a book published in 2013 would feel the need to use homosexuality as the shocker of a lifetime. It just feels weird

8. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I suppose if it was about a time when being gay was a big deal ... but still its the sort of reveal that goes at the end of chpt 1 not the whole book

9. Lemie

It takes place in modern day Sweden.

I wouldn't care if they kept her in the closet the entire book - but trying to fool the readers... it was just all a weird and poor choice by the writer.

Fernando.C likes this.
  10. Lemie

So, the protagonist is lesbian - the girlfriend has arrived and we're treated to a sex-scene! Makes the confusion all worth while, right?

No.

The writer just made up a word for the female sex... and it's... I'm no sure I care about who's the murderer anymore. I just want it all to end.

Fernando.C likes this.
  11. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

'Brand new friend' by Mike Gayle was a bit like that - his friend is called Jo and shock horror she's a woman - which the protags partner finds unacceptable ... because we all know men and women can't possibly be friends without wanting to jump into bed, or something

Fernando.C likes this.
  12. crappycabbage

crappycabbage Member

That is so lame. It would hardly have been a shocker even in the 1990's. In 2013... Yeah, lame.

Lemie and Iain Aschendale like this.
  13. Carly Berg

Carly Berg Active Member

What annoys me is women my age (empty nesters) who constantly talk about much they love their stupid little dogs. They also put clothes on them and kiss them on their mouths. There are lots of them. It's scary.

Cave Troll likes this.
  14. KaTrian

I guess it’s its about time you guys start replacing hon/han with hen (I saw it in a documentary about gender neutral kindergartens). And honom, hans, hennes and henne with... Wait, what are the gender neutral equivalents for those? o_O

15. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

On the topic of dogs, having to remind my husband to walk ours when I’m not there. :bigmeh:

Carly Berg likes this.
  16. Lemie

Hen, hen/henom, hens - I think.

crappycabbage likes this.
  17. crappycabbage

crappycabbage Member

I still haven't made up my mind about the gender neutral "hen" yet. In theory, yay. It's great. But sometimes when I see it in an article I get totally frustrated and so darn curious about the gender. It's like a piece of the story is missing.

18. Lemie

I actually left a date because the guy started making fun of the word. We didn't talk about anything of the sort - he just made fun of it and ended with "I don't like that word".

I told him that it's an important word for a lot of people. Sure, it's used as a way to shorten "he or she", or if the gender is unknown - but it's also a pronoun for non binary people, some transgender and others who for one reason or the other don't fit into he/she.

You don't have to use it as "he or she" - but it's basic respect to use it as a pronoun if someone prefers that to he/she.

The date said "why did they need a new word - couldn't we just keep calling them what they've always been called" - and I was like "Yes, IT doesn't feel disrespectful at all"...

Carly Berg likes this.
  19. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I get up just now to order a parfait because if I’m stuck in Starbucks for the day working, I’m at least going to eat something. There is a young couple in line in front of me. I doubt they’re even 20 years of age. Both of them are exceptionally pretty. Like, really pretty, him and her both. They take forever to order because pretty as they are, they’re a couple of deer in headlights and it irks me. What’s so hard about ordering a flipping coffee? I get the same irrational frustration when I’m in line at an ATM and the person in front of me is engaging the machine as though it were reverse engineered alien tech.

</petty gripe>

Cave Troll likes this.
  20. Lemie

I have this slight fear of ordering things at restaurants and such. I just wish I was pretty so that the people behind me would have something positive to say about me when they complain about me at the internet ;)

...to be honest I usually rather go hungry than order food, so I usually don't hold up lines.

21. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

I can't decide between the white syrup drink and the brown syrup drink.

22. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

If it makes you feel better, both pretty people and Starbucks frustrate me no end. Pretty people because apparently I forget how talking works when I'm around them and Starbucks because it's, well... it's Starbucks.

23. big soft moose

Well you have to decide between the capawoplopchino and the ultraskinnytall latte with soy and wiffles - its taxing stuff (especially if you just want a cup of coffee)

Talking of which is an Americano ( a shot of espresso diluted with hot water served black) called an Americano in America ?

24. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

You sort of stole my joke -_-

25. KaTrian

So funny story...

In my native tongue Finnish there is only one personal pronoun for both sexes/genders: hän. However, over time we have opted to call everyone se, which translates to 'it' (det/den, ett/en).

What do I glean from this? We disrespect and think very little of everyone equally. :agreed::rofl:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.