Things That Annoy Me, But Shouldn't

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Earp, Jul 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Ordered a couple of items from Walmart and got, "Congratulations! You get Free Two-Day Shipping!. Your order will arrive on Friday, September 10th".

Let's see. Today is the 5th. Throw in one day for the holiday tomorrow (everybody knows computers don't work on weekends or holidays) and it should arrive by the 8th. Of course, I did fail arithmetic in kindergarten ...

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  2. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Contest Winner 2022

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Currently Reading::
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    Trust me, age has nothing to do with wisdom.

Moon and EFMingo like this.
  3. Earp

Yes, I know they work, but I've started just leaving websites that assault me with a popup demanding my email address or a donation when I first arrive. While I'm at it, I've also started leaving sites which annoy me with (often multiple) animated ads while I'm trying to read the content.

Cave Troll likes this.
  4. naruzeldamaster

naruzeldamaster Senior Member

Why do horror films (and sometimes non horror) use that plucking violin music with the screachy string at the end, especially for stuff like spiders?
    I mean it's in EVERYTHING, I don't even know what it's called but I know it probably has a name.
    I mean that one circus song is called 'directed by so and so' so it HAS to have a name right? Right?

5. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    It is suppose to create tension in the scene.
    But then again it's just as overplayed as the
    now classic jumpscare crap.

6. AntPoems

AntPoems Contributor Contributor

While I don't know any specific horror movie music, I think a lot of them draw inspiration from George Crumb's response to the Vietnam War, "Black Angels." Its very avant-garde, to say the least. Makes for an interesting listen now and then. The Kronos Quartet's rendition is the best known, but I couldn't find a live performance on YouTube, so here's a different one.

7. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Back to work tomorrow, after a leeengthy absence with bicipital tenosynovitis / frozen shoulder. I should be grateful for the time off, and that I still have a job, and indeed I am, but it’s going to be hard getting up when that alarm goes off at six :supersleepy:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  8. OurJud

Blame Alfred Hitchcock and shower curtains.

9. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

A classic holdover from a time when all sound effects needed to be manually created... most often using an orchestra with live instrumentation. Some violin guy must have fucking around with his axe one day, some director must have heard it and been like, hey, what did you just do? Do it again!

10. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

It's the musical equivalent of BOO!

11. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Telemachus Sneezed
    Did I mention this? I ordered a bathtub plug chain from Amazon a while ago.

They asked me if I wanted to make it a subscription. Yeah, umm, every thirteen years or so? Just in case.

12. naruzeldamaster

Apparently this particular sound doesn't have a name, I tried googling it and got not a single result.
    If anyone knows of any examples, it's the thing where violin strings are being plucked (like a spider is walking on it) and generally ends with a monster breathing sound.
    Not knowing the name of this thing is going to drive me insane lol

Found an example of it, you can hear it RIGHT at the very end of this animation.

There's a longer version of this sound where it's preceded by strings being plucked.

13. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I think it's called Pizzicato? Not sure on the spelling, you know those &*^%$ Italian words...

Yep, it is:

piz·zi·ca·to

MUSIC
    adverb
    1. (often as a direction) plucking the strings of a violin or other stringed instrument with one's finger.

Cave Troll likes this.
  14. naruzeldamaster

Interesting, now to google it and see if I get any results (for horror)
    hmm got a few results in text form but not many audio samples of the sound haha.

Cave Troll likes this.
  15. Xoic

Maybe try sound effect sneaking or something. I think it's used a lot for sneaking as well as horror.

16. Xoic

You can get some hits just searching for pizzicato on YouTube:

17. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    So there are very few of Bernard Fall's books available in e-book (of any stripe) format. First, I think that everything that's out of print should be digitized. I understand book companies not wanting to waste paper, ink, and warehouse space for a volume that has a limited market, but storage space?

But anyway, one of the few that is is his Last Reflections on a War, a compilation of his essays and articles on the Vietnam wars, which was published in... 1967. The same year he was killed by a booby trap while on patrol with the Marines.

So he and I never shared the same air on this rock, but the publisher still wants $24.95 for the damn thing. Of course, I could buy a used paperback copy for the low low price of $579.95, but, well, that and four bucks will get me a coffee and a scone at Starbuck's...

Cave Troll, J.T. Woody and OurJud like this.
  18. OurJud

I really don’t know where these people get off, thinking ‘Out of print‘ = ‘Charge what the hell I like’

19. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Yeah, Canadian Project Gutenberg is pretty good, and I have some other sources that the rules here forbid me from mentioning, but scholarly stuff should go public domain quicker than random fiction, especially when the author has been dead that long.

OurJud likes this.
  20. Earp

Yow. Hadn't seen Canadian Project Gutenberg, but, politics, anyone? Great book descriptions, though.

21. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Yeah, that's new as of this week or so. Kinda thought I'd hit the wrong site when I checked, sorry.

22. naruzeldamaster

You think books are bad? Try video games, especially older consoles if you still want the box/manual. I don't collect games cause it's a nightmare and a huge money sink to get games for old systems. (Gamecube is easy enough for most games, but there's super rare stuff like Fire Emblem that costs a fortune) I imagine for example, getting a 'Complete' Earthbound game is insanity, with the fancy box/strategy guide/promotional materials.
    And don't get me started on those Scale figurines of Video Game/Anime characters. Those things rarely get 'second' runs and frequently go from double to triple their original price on the free market.

OurJud and Vanna Heller like this.
  23. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

might interest you, if you can bear listening to the voice of the female person who opens the clip.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  24. naruzeldamaster

You know what trope in JRPG (Japanese Role Playing Game) needs to roll over and die already?
    I'm getting super bored of the ultimate baddie being religion and/or some evil/corrupt god. It always seems to be a mishmash of different religions, but the key influence seems to be Christian religion.
    I think Dragon Quest is one of the few JRPG series that paint churches in a positive light.

At the very least I'd like to I dunno, see some corrupt buddha based religion or some such. Since Religious corruption is a thing all over the world, not just in the 'evil' west.

I understand there's a lot of corruption, but not every member of a given church system is evil and it's high time we accepted that.

I'm mostly just bored of the trope, since you can usually call the big twist from orbit well before the game drops any hints.

montecarlo likes this.
  25. Earp

Before you end Season 1 on a serious cliffhanger, would it kill you to be sure there's going to be a Season 2?

montecarlo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.