Things That Annoy Me, But Shouldn't

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Earp, Jul 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

Everybody loves a crew nickname. I have like ten of them from different jobs.

Carly Berg likes this.
  2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I think the first time I heard "homeboy" was in the movie Colors, starring Sean Penn and Robert Duvall. I assumed it was derogatory, as in referring to someone who stayed at home all the time.

When I was a teen working fast food, there were twins working at the restaurant named Stephanie and Tiffany. They were rather attractive young ladies, and since no one had combined the words "sexual" and "harassment" into a phrase with repercussions yet, one of the (male) managers just combined their names and called them both "Stiffy."

I was sixteen, I thought it was funny then too. Sorry.

Shenanigator likes this.
  3. Shenanigator

It just made me laugh out loud.

Yeah, it's weird, it used to be very derogatory but it's evolved into a cool thing. I know so many guys who call each other variants of that in a good way.

4. Shenanigator

I had a male colleague who used to call me "cupcake". He truly didn't mean it offensively but I hated it. (Not crazy about variants of sugary items from anyone.) In the south I go with it. Most of my crew nicknames are either animal names. or sports last names or pertain to hobbies.

ETA; Yeah, hands off me please. ETA: Except for the L.A. hug. I don't know why but that doesn't bug me.

Carly Berg likes this.
  5. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

That's got trouble written all over it. I would totally hire them.

And that's the funniest thing I've heard all day. Granted, I haven't been awake for very long.

6. Kristen the Free Spirit

Kristen the Free Spirit Member

I'm so glad that there is a thread like this because there is something I have been wanting to get off of my chest for a long time. I know this shouldn't annoy me, but it drives me nuts..Okay..here goes.. People that put those little reindeer antlers on their cars during the holiday season! I seriously just want to rip them off and stomp on them! It's even worse when they put the little red ball in front, like it's Rudolph's nose or something. It's not that I hate the holidays or anything.. okay I'm not a huge fan, but it just seems like overkill to me! I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but I feel a lot better getting that out.

7. Shenanigator

I was just thinking today about something related to this. A red flag to Ex #2 (not husbands, LTRs) probably should have been that he did not like or approve of affectionate names between couples. Ever. He said, "Couples should show the respect of using each other's first names. It's beneath them to use nicknames." Ooookay, but isn't that weird? And annoying!

So the way it played out, of course, is that at work, my colleagues (all guys) and I all had crew names, so whenever I'd have everyone over for a party or Thanksgiving dinner or whatever, the guys are calling me by my various nicknames depending on which crew we'd been on together, and my own significant other is calling me my first name. It was fucking bizarre!

Maybe that shouldn't annoy me, but it does to this day. I just wanted to scream "Loosen up!"

8. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

That - and people who dress their dogs up as reindeers -actually people who dress animals up full stop - I noticed in the range (its one of those shops that sells everything you could never want) they had Easter chick costumes for cats... I mean seriously WT actual F

9. Lemie

Lemie Contributor Contributor

The English language in general annoys me like hell!

The more I use it the more I seem to loose it. I though my skills were okay a few weeks ago - then I started to speak it for hours up on end almost daily and now I'm not even sure what the hell I'm writing at the moment.

:dead:

Shenanigator, izzybot and T_L_K like this.
  10. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

Oh man, I despise that so much. Animals have fur people, they don't need you're dumb cloths to!

This is more of a things that annoy me and should annoy people!!

Shenanigator likes this.
  11. Shenanigator

This annoys me, too!

I had the sweetest, most docile cat in the world, and she would have killed me in my sleep for committing such an atrocity. Exactly @John-Wayne , they're already wearing clothes. Usually very beautiful ones!

12. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

My dog has a thunder jacket (for anxiety) but its not the same thing as dressing them up as a cow or whatever for shits and giggles

13. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

People don't JUST wear clothes for warmth, though.

I like it when people enjoy their pets. I mean, none of it's really based on rationality, is it? If people enjoy dressing up their pets? Cool! Have fun with your animals!

Cave Troll and matwoolf like this.
  14. Shenanigator

Functional clothing is fine. It's to help them. Had they existed then, I would have bought our dog a thunder jacket. The poor girl was terrified of storms. I don't even take issue with a raincoat for a dog who hates getting wet, or sweater on a cold day, because they serve a purpose and make them more comfortable. It's the unnecessary shit that only makes them uncomfortable that's the problem.

15. BayView

If it makes them uncomfortable, I agree it's a problem. But I've seen some little dogs prancing around in their outfits pretty happily. I don't think it's the outfits themselves the dogs like, I think it's the attention they get when they're dressed up, but... whatever! Happy dogs make me happy, and happy dog owners are pretty nice, too.

16. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Translating opaque English Legalese to equally opaque Spanish Legalese...

"... , unless the indictment is found or the information is instituted within five years..."

Was the indictment lost? Was it misplaced? :bigmeh:

(And for anyone not in the know, in this context "information" doesn't mean what you think it means either. It's a kind of formal accusation different from an indictment. It doesn't mean "data".)

Shenanigator likes this.
  17. Shenanigator

I love happy dogs, too. Living in a warm climate isn't conducive to doggy clothing, so where I live they tend to look miserable in it except in winter. ETA: We did make one of our cats a sweater out of the sleeve of a sweatshirt once when she was ill and needed to stay warm, though.

18. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just fur and a bit of food coloring .

19. BayView

I'm not sure about the bottom one, but I am THERE for the muppets one! Especially his tail!

20. big soft moose

Isnt that found as in a ship being well found - ie that it must be made ?

21. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

It means ratified/filed/formalized. Thing is, in both languages, English and Spanish, these "synonyms" are not as interchangeable as they appear. Conventions indicate that you use one when an indictment comes to fruition, another for an information, another for a search & seizure order, etc. And this same dynamic holds true for Spanish, and sometimes getting a simple answer as to "which verb is the right verb for this document at the federal level" is like pulling teeth. Interpreters and translators can be cagey and they get uptight when you try to engage them in these sorts of queries. It's hard to know if it's because "if you don't know, I'm certainly not going to give you the info for free" or "I'm not sure myself and I don't want to look stupid", or a combination thereof.

Regardless.... frustration.

It's what I get paid to do, which is what fulfills the "..., but shouldn't" part of the thread title, but still. ;)

Shenanigator likes this.
  22. big soft moose

Knowing government Bureacracy it probably stems from if I tell you and I'm wrong I might be to blame, wheras If I don't help you and its wrong you are to blame

23. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

When people watching a film notice an actor famous for a particular role, and exclaim all surprised, “Oh! Look who it is!”

Yes, it’s almost like they’re an actor who appears in films, isn’t it?

24. Albeit

Albeit Active Member

Dopamine gatherings of greedheads yacking it up and comparing material possessions while equating that as the net worth value of their existence. I am having serious concerns in taking these loud and annoying self-righteous pieces of shit as being worth more than a dollar ninety eight. I continue to believe that no human being is worth more than another.

Needless to say that I left this grandiose gathering of wankers early in the evening. The only person I met there that had any sense about what makes a human being worth knowing beyond net worth had left before me.

25. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Clickbait ads written in broken English. I mean, I'm not going to follow the link anyway, but "Ever Since I Have Know This Trick, You Won't Never Eat These Food Again" type shit... Anyone who goes down that rabbit hole deserves to have their bank account gift-wrapped and sent to Nigeria.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.