Things That Annoy Me, But Shouldn't

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Earp, Jul 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sclavus

Sclavus Active Member

I'm not a fan of it, either. People whispering or speaking in a language I can't understand ratchets up my anxiety. That does go back to bullying for me. Sign language classes in school were really useful for the people who bullied me.

Edited to Add: The language thing doesn't bother me so much unless I know they can speak English, but they choose to switch to another language when I walk in the room. I have an irrational paranoia about that kind of thing. I don't care if you speak another language, but switching it around people seems conspiratorial.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    Tenderiser likes this.
  2. MythMachine

MythMachine Active Member

Ah, I know, and agree. Sorry, I had intended for the two to be separate.
    At the least, however, if someone realizes their mistake in conceiving a child and understands that they cannot support it, putting it up for adoption at least shows some care. Better that than for the child to live in an inadequate environment with a parent that doesn't even want them.

3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

I worked with a guy who would walk into a pub in Wales and insist that "They all went quiet and just switched to talking in Welsh because an Englishman walked in."

No, it all went quiet when he walked in because it's a quiet pub, and they looked up to see if it was somebody they knew and should acknowledge. And then they went back to talking in Welsh because it's the language they spoke. While most Welsh speak English, they'd rather speak their own language amongst themselves.

4. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Well, not quite... only about 20% of Welsh people in Wales actually speak Welsh.

5. Sclavus

Sclavus Active Member

Something like that doesn't bother me, especially if I'm in a foreign country. Heck, when I worked at a fast food joint, all the kitchen staff were Spanish speakers. Some of them couldn't speak a lick of English, so it made sense for them to converse in Spanish among themselves. My irritation at people who switch up languages is admittedly irrational, but it's based on times when I'd walk into a classroom and people would conspire to do something unpleasant to me. My school years were shite.

6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I had the exact OPPOSITE happen to me in Wales, back in the late 80s. I walked into several shops, etc, with my English friend (I'm an ex-Yank) and the people who were speaking in Welsh to one another shifted inconspicuously to English. This astonished me. This was in the valley areas, around Treorchy. I absolutely loved Wales, and we were treated so well by the local people, who helped us repair our tent, and directed us to a good place to eat, etc. I remember one storekeeper (the one who sold us the repair bits for our tent and chatted with us for a good long while) actually coming out of the shop onto the pavement to wave us off. It's little things like this that make you love a place, and I really did love south Wales. The northern (touristy) bit wasn't quite as friendly.

Catrin Lewis and GingerCoffee like this.
  7. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

As an aspie, I would just like to point out that people using lots of sarcasm is just as annoying :p

8. 20oz

20oz Active Member

Lol. One of these days I'm going to play that series. But first, I plan on playing Lords of the Fallen (heard the game was similar but has its faults), then Bloodborne, and finally Dark Souls (or Demon's Souls).

9. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Oof, right? That game made me want to burn the neighborhood down.

10. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

People who call themselves ‘geeks’ when what they mean is, “I use Facebook a lot, play Candy Crush on my phone, and watched X-Men that one time.” When you’ve got video game tattoos, know C++ and can explain why the X-Men movies aren’t canon, then come back and tell me how much of a geek you are.

11. Millamber

Millamber Senior Member

I played Dark Souls 2, then Bloodborne... I've never wanted to cry so much whilst gaming. Fight you way to the boss, not realise its a boss, get your butt handed to you, die quickly, have to fight your way back... cheers then! When you beat the boss though, it's an immense feeling of satisfaction!

And some.. I've stayed away from DS3, but my friend said its brilliant and a lot more customisable, even having a sorcerer class aswell or something.

20oz likes this.
  12. MythMachine

I remember there was some sort of stone in DS2 that you could interact with and that offered to become a member of some sort of covenant. The thing I didn't realize is that the point of joining that covenant was to make the game obscenely hard, and being a new player at the time, it forced me to rage quit multiple times, because the damage I was dealing in comparison to taking was miniscule.

20oz likes this.
  13. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

:superlaugh:

I'm sorry, I shouldn't laugh but... That's still hilarious!

I played DS1 first and got totally spoiled, so DS2 and DS3, while good, never had the same magical effect on me. I love BB although there's virtually no player vs. player activity anymore. Never played Demon's Souls cos I don't own PS3. The only reason I bought a console was Bloodborne. :bigoops:

And since this thread is called things that annoy me but shouldn't: people who say Soulsborne games aren't hard. I understand why they say it 'cause the games aren't hard after you've completed them once, but for people who are used to more hand-holdy games, the gameplay can get pretty hopeless, frustrating, and feel unfair, and most people agree if you complete the game alone and without summons, it's quite challenging when you do it for the first time. I wasn't much of a 'gamer' before Dark Souls and it was basically my introduction to video games. After that most triple A titles have felt annoyingly condescending and lacking in challenge, so in this sense, I think Soulsborne games are hard.

14. Sclavus

Sclavus Active Member

Not that I haven't complained about how hard some games are, but I've been disappointed with what seems like a nerfing trend in games. I remember playing original Super Mario and appreciating the challenge. The same with Doom. Then I found Tekken and Soul Caliber and a few others that had the potential to be more than button-mashers. Somewhere along the way, though, somebody started nerfing games, to the point that there's not much that presents a challenge within good gameplay. Usually if a game is hard, it's because of the mechanics.

That having been said, I've never played the games you referenced, @KaTrian, so I can't say how hard they are or not. I just wish designers wouldn't bend to the pressure to make games mindless.

KaTrian likes this.
  15. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

I totally agree. And that's a thing that should annoy me - and it does. :p

16. Homer Potvin

You could say that about all entertainment products. Books, movies, television shows, music... they make what people want to buy.

Cave Troll likes this.
  17. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    You do realize you called the majority of people vacuous right? :D

MythMachine likes this.
  18. Homer Potvin

That's not exactly a revelation.

Mullanphy, MythMachine and Cave Troll like this.
  19. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Tis the sad reality with which we live. :(

MythMachine likes this.
  20. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

When people yank their charge cords out of a device.

Cave Troll and MythMachine like this.
  21. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

The tags showing up under thread titles annoy me. It's useless clutter. I'd be surprised if anyone uses those tags to find related threads.

It shouldn't bother me, one of those first world problems, but it does.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    MythMachine likes this.
  22. Len Downing

Len Downing New Member

People who mumble and/or look away when they talk to you. Guys who use the middle urinal.

MythMachine likes this.
  23. MythMachine

The problem I find with the difficulty in gaming is that it's most often just a scale of damage and health, rather than an increase in the complexity of the enemy AI, or more diverse and devastating abilities or combos. The former relies on simple numerical tweaks, which can easily fool a casual gamer into thinking it's making the game truly difficult. In fact, if the combat patterns remain the same, for a veteran gamer who's already learned them, the difficulty doesn't really change at all, because they still know exactly how to beat the character. To me, it's lazy pandering to casual gamers who don't know any better. Take TES: Skyrim, for instance. The game is magnificent for how much you can do, but the combat system leaves way too much to be desired, and the difficulty is scaled by damage dealt/damage received. There is no true challenge when moving to higher difficulties, it just takes longer to kill the enemies, which is simply time consuming and boring. On the flip side, the ability to mod Skyrim allows players to change whatever they feel the game was originally lacking. I myself mod Skyim for visuals, realism, and true difficulty. No longer can I sneak effortlessly through a dungeon by level 5, one shotting every enemy around with sneak attacks. If I shoot an enemy, the shot has to be precise due to the locational damage and absence of a crosshair and HUD which I altered through modding. My arrows can still be powerul, but if I hit the wrong spot and the enemy lives, their whole crew will be on high alert and hunt me down for several minutes.

These are just a few of the many mods I've added, but the gist of my point is there. True difficulty is attained through a combination of gameplay changes that favor the NPCs, not increasing or decreasing a few numbers. Now I loved the Dark Souls games as a foundation for a difficult game, but they suffered from having enemies with exploitable patterns of combat. Thankfully, they overcame this by just having a large variety of enemies with their own unique patterns, which allowed the combat to become fun and unpredictable to a degree.

Sclavus likes this.
  24. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

People who say (or write) "Bruh". (I'm looking at you @Homer Potvin :p). It probably shouldn't bother me, but it makes me roll my eyes and groan.

25. Homer Potvin

Sorry, girl-bruh!

Trish likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.