Things that inexplicably annoy me...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Chinspinner, Mar 21, 2015.

1. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

When you call a company to get service (AT&T, I'm looking at you), and you have to deal with a robot that doesn't have any options for what you're trying to do. Trying to talk to an actual person who can help you is nearly impossible!

GingerCoffee likes this.
  2. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

Those fucking suitcases on wheels (especially the small ones) and the idiots lacking any spatial awareness who use them. Just carry your bag, you generally look like you need the exercise.

3. minstrel

I like those fucking suitcases on wheels (especially the small ones). I carry heavy stuff in mine. I also look like I need the exercise. :p

4. HelloThere

HelloThere Senior Member

When something I want/need is at the opposite side of the room from me. Bloody inanimate objects.

5. Chinspinner

Likewise, people who do this at the end of an escalator.

Shadowfax and minstrel like this.
  6. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

In the Czech Republic, it's very common to give enough in change so the cashier can give you change that's a round number. So if you had to pay 51kc, and you only have 100kc, it is common to give 101kc so they can simply give back a 50kc coin. And if you don't automatically do that, very often the cashier would actually ask if you have 1kc or 2kc. Anyway, despite this, we've still managed to collect a couple hundred crowns in 1kc and 2kc coins - they're annoying because it's a hassle to use them, it's heavy to carry, but it's money so you don't wanna throw it out lol.

@Chinspinner - maybe you'd prefer the cryptic adverts the Czechs make instead. They don't use slogans and taglines like the Brits - often what the Czechs do don't make much sense - but the reason why they don't make them like the UK is also because the average Czech would react like you did to those adverts. They'd be thinking, "What nonsense," and move swiftly on!

7. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

What annoys me - when things don't make sense, especially when such nonsense's stressing someone out.

For example, one of my former landladies was a neurotic clean freak. She even wipes each individual grape down with tissue after washing. She bought a white sofa and then covers it up with an ugly green throw because she's scared it'd get dirty. She loves her bare wooden floors without varnish and then worries every second of the day that there might be little scratches on the floor from chairs and shoes. And I'm like - either don't worry about it, or frigging buy things that won't expose you to that kinda worry!

Or currently, my friend who really doesn't like this guy, but the guy keeps asking her to meet up - instead of saying no, she goes and meets him, and then stresses about it because she really doesn't wanna meet him. And then she gets overly tired and wonders if it's her who's weird. And I'm like, just bloody say "No". Why is it so hard!? I understand she wants to be nice, but seriously!?

KaTrian and Catrin Lewis like this.
  8. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

My phone always rings when I'm on the other side of the room.:wtf:

HelloThere likes this.
  9. Trev_Star

Trev_Star Member

Customer Service. My hard drive crashed a few weeks ago (second time and I've only had it for a year) and I had to send it in to Best Buy. Luckily Geek Squad rocks and got it back to me with free expedited shipping. When I get home and realize PhotoShop wasn't installed I called Toshiba to see how to get back pre-installed programs. Their answer? Pay 40$ for a digital download.

Great, so I have to pay 40$ to get back programs that were free/pre-installed, because your product is a dud.

10. GingerCoffee

Very annoying when someone makes an absolutely rebuttable statement on the news and the newscaster is amazed without ever questioning the validity of the statement.

The Pope shook the sealed glass container supposedly holding the blood of St Januarius, and the blood liquified.

So called 'expert' :rolleyes: being interviewed first says the blood is dried. No, it isn't dried. It is solidified, but not dry. It's gelled. Then he said other Popes have failed to liquify the substance. That's nonsense. It is simple physics, you shake it, liquefaction occurs. It gets shaken three times a year. It liquefies three times a year.

Lilly James Haro and Megalith like this.
  11. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

The current fashion trend for women in America annoys me.

I gained some weight recently. So I went out to buy a new wardrobe, and I was astounded by the style right now. See-through shirts, crop tops, and short shorts. I know the shirts are meant to be layered and the crop tops are meant to be worn with high-waisted bottoms.

But where are all the normal clothes? I just want a nice t-shirt that doesn't require a second shirt to cover your girls, a pair of jeans that hides my lady bits, and some shoes that don't have six-inch heels that are cheaper than twenty dollars.

I'm not meant to live in this culture... -_-

12. minstrel

Modern trends in popular music annoy me. I come from the rock era, where music was made by actual musicians playing actual musical instruments. Nowadays, music is made by producers in studios twiddling knobs and sampling earlier recordings doing that hand-on-the-vinyl-record thing (whatever you call it - scratching?) and looping and making computer effects and programming electro-drums and autotuning. Musicians are no longer involved, it seems. And everyone lip-syncs. (I know lip-syncing isn't new; it's been around since TV began. But it still annoys the living crap out of me. Sing, you bastards!)

13. Chinspinner

I think this is a small part of something that irritates me; talent, skill, knowledge, an area of expertise, not only aren't they required to become wealthy and famous, they probably have a detrimental effect on ones ability to do so.

I am not just talking about vacuous, auto-tuned morons molded into pop stars; or painfully desperate and needy "look-at-me, look-at-me!"reality TV "stars"; or "it" girls who are famous for fames sake. I am also talking about the experts who are removed from documentaries in favour of an attractive presenter waxing lyrical on a subject they know nothing about; or the tendency towards quoting clueless twitter users about a news item rather than consulting someone who has actually studied it and has some useful input.

There seems to be a strange love affair with inanity and vacuity these days.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
    Catrin Lewis likes this.
  14. Megalith

Megalith Contributor Contributor

Seriously right? That is why the music industry is stepping away from terms like, 'Performers' and using 'artist' instead. Why pay for live concerts to hear a recording? It's like you paid a ton of money to watch famous people to 'pretend' onstage.

EDIT: It's coming to the point that real performers have to add 'no autotune' to their album to make sure people get the idea that they still are singing with their natural voice.

minstrel likes this.
  15. minstrel

Exactly. Madonna was charging big ticket prices for her concerts and all she was doing was lip-syncing. Elton John blasted her for that, and good for him.

Sure, actual live performance always runs the risk of someone playing the wrong chord, screwing up a verse, forgetting lyrics, just generally blowing it. But the next day, they're saying, "This time I'm going to do it right! This audience is going to hear me at my absolute best!" And there's always the chance that it happens that way.

The modern, lip-sync way isn't like that. Nobody screws up, but the artist never says, "Next time I'll be at my best!" because next time will be exactly the same as this time, because we're all just miming to pre-recorded tracks - the same ones we used yesterday and forever. It's plastic music.

Why doesn't each audience member just buy a ticket and send a cardboard cutout of themselves to occupy the seat? They can say to the artist, "Hey, if you're not going to actually perform, and just mime to pre-recorded tracks, we're not going to actually show up. You're a cardboard pop star, and you deserve a cardboard audience."

Megalith likes this.
  16. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Dirty laundry on the floor. No, just no. It takes three seconds to pick it up...:wtf:

Lea`Brooks likes this.
  17. edamame

edamame Contributor Contributor

To be fair though, some artists only sing, they don't play instruments and they need to lip-sync if they're doing a rigorous dance performance. Some people go to concerts to have a visual experience as well as an auditory one.

18. minstrel

Some of us don't have three seconds. We're busy watching the forum! Or the football game, or the paint dry... anything to get away from actually writing...

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  19. minstrel

This doesn't make any sense to me at all. :) I don't care if they can dance! I heard the song on the radio - no dancing to be found! I bought the album because of the music, not because I appreciated the dancing. (Was there dancing involved in the recording?)

WHO GIVES A SINGLE CRAP ABOUT DANCING? I WANT THEM TO SING THEIR SONGS LIVE! Honestly, I don't give a shit whether a singer/songwriter can dance. Would I pay for a ticket to watch Bob Dylan dance? Of course not. Bob Dylan doing the splits is not something I want to see! (Actually, maybe it might be entertaining...)

Shadowfax likes this.
  20. edamame

edamame Contributor Contributor

I can understand that. I enjoy bands but I also enjoy pop singers. Look at people like James Brown and Michael Jackson. Did they sing well? Yes. But they also danced and created spectacular performances. And music isn't only promoted on radio -- there's a reason music videos exist. It may be that you just don't find the visual part necessary or appealing.

21. GingerCoffee

[Looks at 4 baskets of dirty laundry piled up, one basket of clean towels not folded, and clean dishes in the dish washer that need to be put away] :wtf: Ummm, yeah. Think I'll refill my wine glass.

Except I did finish a really good edit of chapter one twice today. I think this time I'm finally happy with it. :D

22. Trev_Star

Trev_Star Member

Preach it, minstrel. I frequently rant at my students about their taste in music. It's interesting though, seeing as I'm not much older than them, that instead of complaining about "that darn rap music" like they'd expect, I starting waxing poetic about artists like Tribe Called Quest, Nas, etc. These were people who not only wrote their own music, but are socially conscious storytellers as well. Comparing an album like Illmatic to the repetitive, mass produced garbage passing for hip-hop now-a-days hurts my soul.

In all honesty, it'd probably be rather hilarious to be a fly on the wall during one of my off-topic diatribes. Here I am, a mild mannered, white guy intellectual type (sporting a cardigan and red chinos) lecturing a diverse class of teenagers about what real rap music is. It's almost like a Twilight zone-esque TED talk. :rofl:

minstrel likes this.
  23. Ben414

Ben414 Contributor Contributor

People who think the 1st Amendment means you can never face any consequences for something you say.

24. Chinspinner

Pointless analogies. They are everywhere, analogies that do not in any way aid your understanding and often complicate matters.

There was one referenced in another post about how editing your novel on the fly is like climbing and descending a mountain simultaneously. No it isn't, that is a stupid analogy, the two activities simply aren't analogous.

Or the age old one which describes the size of something in London buses or football fields. I do not know the size of a London bus or a football field, but I do know how long a metre is... just give me the measurements.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  25. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

When you are out shopping with friends, and these are people you know are intelligent, responsible people ... and they forget where they parked their car. 'Oh, was it over here?'

I don't know dude, it's only a £19000 piece of machinery you are still making payments on, why the hell would you want to remember where you put it?

KaTrian likes this.