Tags:
  1. The Bard of Wigan

The Bard of Wigan New Member

Things you have kept from your childhood.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by The Bard of Wigan, Sep 3, 2009.

Have any of you kept hold of some childhood toy, book etc?

I have managed to keep some stuff away from Mrs Bards clodding out arm. But the World Champion Clodder Outer would surely be our Mums. I'd not been married two minutes when my old room was cleared!

I still have some though, here's some I can recall off hand:

A German penknife, one of those with all sorts of tools on it. My Grandad got it from his Army days. Famous German blademaker too.

A Japanese made 1960's Spaceship, still works and in tatty box.

A Hornby train set from early 60's, still works and in box.

The first Doctor Who Annual 60's

A Hopalong Cassidy watch 60's

Guinness Book of Records, several, got one every Xmas!

Loads of comics, programmes and a few old football annuals.

Will have to think now as I've other stuff somewhere.

Has anyone kept their teddy bear?

2. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

I had so many things I kept which were destroyed in the fire last month. But I will still make mention of them.

A large ceramic piggy bank that my grandmother gave me when I was 10.

Christmas cards and Birthday cards from when I was born.

A "Green Giant Pea Pod" from when I was 4.

My baby shoes and first dress from when I was an infant.

A Wizard of Oz game from when I was 6 or 7.

A ceramic tea set.

A large "Super Star Barbie" and an original Cher doll. Complete with fold down hands and bright red lipstick.

A glazed ceramic bowl I made in the 2nd grade.

There are so many other things that I saved, I only mentioned a few of them.

3. SAN

SAN New Member

I have the thick ceramic mug I drank coffee in when I was 5. It had sugar in it, and was mostly milk, with very little coffee. It was also an occasional treat. The mug is pink, my most hated colour, but I keep it because that's one of the few good childhood experiences I can remember.

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I have a wooden shark I made in high school shop class.

I have my Cub Scouts uniform

I have my Boy Scouts uniform

I have my Eagle Scouts uniform

I have this little electronic jeep thingy that I got as a child for X-mas

I have a little plastic car other-thingy which was my very first toy ever

5. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I dont know if it counts because I'm still a senior in high school, but... I have:

- all my old childhood books
    - my baby blanket (that I still sleep with every night)
    - my teddy (who is actually a dog named "Softy." I was creative. ;) Who I still sleep with every night.)
    - my mother's teddy, who watches over me on my bookcase
    - my 1990s Beanie Babies collectioin
    - my old Legos --the last car I ever built out of Legos is still in the Junk Room abyss
    - my old Barbie Christmas ornaments
    - one Barbie
    - all my old stories. I can tell you how they all started. "Hi, my name is Sarah Jones. I have shoulderlength strawberry blonde hair, and I am thirteen years old.." (Note, I wasnt thirteen when I wrote that crap. :D I thought it would be cool to be thirteen when I was around six years.)
    - etc...

I feel like I need to disspell it all now, goodness. :redface:

6. 67Kangaroos

67Kangaroos New Member

>.< i don't really remember childhood.. and moved a bamillion times...

so, right now all i can think of is the t-shirt i got from basketball in the 5th grade. in the 5th grade, it reached my knees... it finally fits :D

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I still have a Gilbert Erector set in its original metal box. It has a plug-in electric motor, if that tells you how old it is!

I have a collection of Hardy Boys books, many of which I have in original and revised editions.

I probably have a few other items from back then, but I can;t think of many.

8. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

Oh Cog, that reminds me. My grandmother kept my set of Nancy Drew Mysteries books. My favorites were "The Clue In The Crumbling Wall", "The Haunted Showboat" and "The Mystery At Lilac Inn".

I am going to plunder in her utility closet, pull them out and give them another read. :D

9. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

I have a whole pile of Bandai vinyl Godzilla figures taking up space in my closet. They really do take up valuable room, but I just can't bare to part with them... unless someone could offer me the right price. ;)

10. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I have my collection of Dear America books from when I was in elementary school. I actually read one of them the other day. It only took me an hour, haha.

I also have every diary I've ever kept, dating back to fourth grade.

11. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

My parents keep pretty much everything...my old Nancy Drew books are in storage at their house, as are most of my childhood stuffed animals and almost all of the Barbies I've ever owned.

They also have boxes and boxes of toys that I own which I would like to say are from my childhood...but they're not. What can I say? I love toys.

12. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

My mother kept all my books from the age of 5-12. Really--all my old school notebooks, up until I went to boarding school.
    We used to write a weekly 'diary' at the NATO schools I went to. There's Princess Margaret's wedding (my uncle was in the honour guard), all the times we moved to a different country, places, friends, TV programmes, the moon landings, buying my first pair of wet-look boots... they make incredible reading now.
    She gave them to me when I married and I took a lesson from her and tried to keep my daughters' books and diaries, so now they too enjoy reading up on what they were up to when they were little.

13. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

I still have a stuffed pig, some Redwall and Goosebumps books, some odd and end stuff, and since I am a wannabe writer, hopefully my imagination.

14. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

at only 10 days from 71, having given away all my worldy possessions from my old material life and been traipsing around the planet for the past decade and a half, the only thing i have still with me from my childhood is the intangible love of books...

15. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

From my childhood I have a stuffed animal, Twinken. He's from the Barney movie Barney's Great Adventure and I still have him. :D

16. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I have got some pretty damn awesome memories... and a wooden clothes line, but it has seen better days. It is in my parents shed atm. It is sentimental as it is the only thing I have that was from my grandfather and he passed away not long after he made them for my sister and I.

17. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

I still have the musical teddy bear that my parents bought for me before I was born. It looks sufficiently beat up. It lives on the cherry wood bookcase. I also have some books, some jewelry etc. But the bear is what stands out most for me.

18. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

I have an Oakland Raiders flag hanging on my wall that's over twenty years old- back then, they were still in LA. I have a couple of Leafs flags as well of course, but they're all on sticks throughout the house.

I also have dozens of books from when I was younger- I transitioned straight from picture books to novels, so most of my 'childhood' books are by Dean Koontz and David Eddings.

19. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

I have pictures and barbies and stuffed animals. :) But mainly pictures.

20. Syne

Syne Member

Nothing. Not even my innocence.

21. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Isn't that the first think to go out the window? :rolleyes:

22. Syne

Syne Member

Not in the way it was taken :(

23. bluebell80

bluebell80 New Member

My parents still have a lot of my stuff.

I have a gumball machine my uncle gave me for christmas when I was 5, a few months before he died.

I have boxes of old toys, everything from classic Star Wars figures (which are actually worth money now) to barbies, to three large boxes of books (most of which were ruined by water damage) posters, legos, stuffed animals and cabbage patch dolls.

My mother even kept many of my baby dresses which she had to dress my daughter in when she was born and took pictures. lol

I found a box in my old room's closet that had Seventeen magazines from 1992-1996 and a TV Guide that had a story about X-files in it from like 1994 I think. I was in love with David Duchovney for most of the 90's. Still think he's rather hot now. heheh I did keep the Seventeen magazine that was a Prom addition with Jonathan Brandis in it. I was madly in love with him in the early 90's too. The kid from SeaQuest that hung himself a few years ago. It was a shame too. Hot and not a bad actor.

My grandmothers horrid costume jewelry that I inherited. Most of which is religious crosses and what not...and I'm an atheist. *shakes head*

I think of all the things my parents have kept of mine and sometimes feel guilty for throwing out stuff of my kids. But I'm just not a pack rat. We don't have room to keep everything, so I only keep really special things that I want them to have when they are older.

24. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

There's a lot of things I would have liked to have had the opportunity to keep, but alas some of these choices were made for me a long time ago.

However, I do still have some of my old books (The Wild Heart by Helen Griffiths is a perennial favourite), some school reports and work (including stories I wrote when I was around seven) and a doll that my grandmother made for me.

25. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

Scars from jumping off of things and landing on other things (like my Grandmother's chair with carved dog heads on the end of each arm). BTW, yeah it looked as fugly as it sounds.