Things you recently bought or got

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mashers, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

I got neck training tips from this guy,

[​IMG]

So I should be fine. Hopefully.

Iain Aschendale and Cave Troll like this.
  2. Daphne Thissen

Daphne Thissen New Member

I feel it is appropriate that my first real post on this forum - besides my introduction - is on this thread. Since I'm a bit of a collector of things I definitely don't need.

Just today I bought 2 DVD's:

The Broken Hearts Club (2000)
    [​IMG]
    A romantic comedy about a group of gay friends navigating life. (Saw Dean Cain was in it and I've loved him since Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, found the movie cheap, so I got it.

Unbreakable (2000)
    [​IMG]
    I want to see Glass soon, but I figured I should watch Unbreakable and Split first to understand the characters and their stories better.

And just last week I bought 4 books:
    The Pirates! in an Adventure with Communists
    The Pirates! in an Adventure with Napoleon
    The Pirates! in an Adventure with Moby Dick
    The Pirates! in an Adventure with Scientists

all written by Gideon Defoe. Follows the adventures of a pirate captain and his crew. Hilarious series. Totally recommend if anyone's looking for a nice, light read.

3. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Last DVD I bought was In Bruges, but that was a while ago.

Cave Troll likes this.
  4. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

Essential oil of Thyme
    Essential oil of Sage
    Sweet Fennel essential oil
    Frankincense essential oil

Topping up my stash of oils. I use this stuff a lot.

Top tip: if you make your own bath or body oils and you want them to have a decent shelf life, use jojoba oil (actually a liquid wax) as a base / carrier.
    It literally never goes rank, unlike nut and vegetable oils which generally have a short shelf life, especially if unrefrigerated or left in light.
    Bit pricey but worth it for longevity. Especially useful for blending perfume oils, if you're using some of the pricier essentials like rose or neroli and you want them to last.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Some Guy and Shenanigator like this.
  5. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

Mods, I know this is off-topic, and as I have no desire to debate, but questions were directed at me, this will be my one courtesy response, then I'll bring it back OT.

1. I'm not offended. To take offense means to take something personally. Facts are not personal. My interest, as this is a writer's forum, is to point out the difference between fact and opinion.

This part is more personal because for clarity I'll explain my opinion and beliefs, but again, I'm not offended, because I don't take it personally.
    Quoting: "you feel it could cause harm in someone who has soul dysfunctions"
    No. "Soul dysfunctions" is your term for mental illness. Not mine. "Soul dysfunctions" is a label you have chosen to ascribe to mental illness, and it is a vague term I would never use. The terms "mental illness" "depression" "anxiety" etc. have clearly-defined clinical meanings for brain conditions and imply no judgment. "Soul dysfunctions" sounds vague enough, in my opinion, to allow someone to insert into it whatever negative judgment they wish.

Also, in many spiritual belief systems, the soul has nothing to do with brain function and is a separate entity, as in "mind, body, spirit" so for many, including myself, the term "soul dysfunctions" would be inaccurate and would be like calling a broken arm a broken foot.

To discuss, label, or attempt to interfere with another person's soul is, in my opinion, a blatant violation of someone's boundaries. To think it's OK to cross such a boundary, to my spiritual beliefs, is the height of hubris. (I don't believe in spiritual/religious evangelism.) The soul, in my beliefs, is the most deeply personal part of someone and is not up for grabs or discussion by some random stranger. Someone else's soul is none of my business, just as my soul is none of theirs.

Your verbiage is structured as fact. Per my journalism training, facts are stated with the use of is/are/was/were. They are clear declarations that leave no room for interpretation.

Opinions are stated with terms like, "According to..." "Some say..." "Some believe" "In my opinion" "In my experience" "My belief is"and of course the Internet's favorite "IMHO".

Here are two examples where your opinion is structured as fact. I've bolded and underlined so you can see the relevent parts of your quotes:
    The reason I'm out when someone starts stating their spiritual opinions as fact is threefold: 1. Someone else's spirituality is none of my business, and mine is not theirs. 2. Their hubris in stating spiritual beliefs as fact is usually a good indicator they don't care about others' opinions, so there's no point in engaging. Such hubris is a turn-off. 3. It can also be a signal they're about to try to convert people to their beliefs and, at its worst, can be an indicator of cult recruiting (I have experience in this).

Ah. The friendly version of "sit down and shut up" or "keep your opinions to yourself". No, thank you.

Xander, you may be surprised to know that many of the teachings of the people you quote (Buddha, et al) have been an integral part of my own spirituality for quite some time. People tend to assume that because I don't talk about them, I don't believe in them. That assumption would be wrong. The problem you and I have, Xander, is that your demeanor comes across as if you think I've never heard of them. That, my friend, is what I mean by preachy.

"Humility, very simply, is the absence of arrogance."--Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche

"Humility is that low, sweet root, from which all heavenly virtues shoot."--Thomas Moore

-----------
    Sorry for the derailment, everyone. and for the long post. Xander, if you'd like to discuss this further, you're welcome to PM, but I will not debate this. Back on topic:

Last thing I got: chocolates.

Last thing I bought: humorous coffee mug for a friend.

(typo and comma edit and to correct a misplaced quote tag)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Xander17, SethLoki and Harmonices like this.
  6. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Spine Stretcher
    71pJp0VM2FL._SY879_.jpg

7. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

Why is she gripping those hand holds so tightly? It looks like she's preparing for something painful o_O

Moon and Iain Aschendale like this.
  8. Some Guy

It's isolated traction. You basically use the grips to pull yourself even with the rollers, then pull yourself down. The weight of your lower body pulls you back upright, preventing stress from reoccurring. It's fantastically effective. It looks ridiculous, which is an indicator of the desperate pain I was in. I'm ecstatic to pay good money for something considered torture in centuries past. :D

9. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Crockpot. I'm out and left in it a piece of chicken, broth, some potatoes and carrots in it, leeks and - whoops - damn, I forget the seasoning! Soup my friends. Sounds like bland soup. Lol. I'll have to put the seasoning in when I get home.

Cave Troll likes this.
  10. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

Haven't decided yet, I'm browsing for random toot right now.. brb

Cave Troll likes this.
  11. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Admit it, it's a sex toy for people who get embarrassed by black leather and spikes.

[​IMG]

Cave Troll, Shenanigator and Some Guy like this.
  12. Some Guy

The apparatus would be difficult to balance on the bed. The straps might help stabilize it. Love the Hello Kitty decor. Where's the tickling feather? Where's the pink Sybian?

Cave Troll and Iain Aschendale like this.
  13. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

Oh, man, why did I look??? I used to have a cat who looked exactly like Hello Kitty. She was my baby. Were she still planetary, I'd feel the need to cover her eyes.

OT: Curtains arrived today.

14. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

Random toot I bought today:

Clear glass teapot with integral strainer (for loose herbal tea)
    Tea light tongs (true story)
    Violet taper candles x 2
    Mulled cider spice blend (for mulled apple juice - smells like Christmas)

Hammer and Cave Troll like this.
  15. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

My current Amazon order is for two pairs of bootlaces, a set of four golf ball marking tools, a new office chair (finally), and a new bathtub faucet.

Cave Troll likes this.
  16. Xander17

Xander17 Hermit Archetype Supporter Contributor

Short version here...only quick responses to a few issues.
    I'm interested in Human Nature , thus interested in writing a longer more indepth PM version that would clarify lots of the issues you raised, though won't write it unless you're interested in reading it. Please let me know.

The only condition is this...
    "The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress." - Joseph Joubert
    ..if you remain attached to your current beliefs of your conclusions of the subject matter and myself, which you are of course free and entitled to do, please let me know as I have no interest in win-lose discussions.

Excellent !

Yet you haven't asked me to clarify why I use the term and what it means to me.

And you are free to interface with reality according to your own perception, attitude and moral code of conduct...as is everyone else.

Obviously it is to me...based on what I define the Soul as. I have no problems with offering info that could potentially help another traveller.

Exactly...as per your journalism training.

Mein himmel, is that how you interpreted it?

1. I don't see any problem with my conduct.
    2. I interpret how you've expressed this that you still believe there's something wrong with me in how I converse with folks.

Excellent quotes...adding them to my collection.

17. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

Two secondhand books ordered from Amazon marketplace:

Writing Essentials: Exercises to Improve Spelling, Sentence Structure, Punctuation, and Writing
    The Writer's Guide to Beginnings: How to Craft Story Openings That Sell

Shenanigator likes this.
  18. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

Long woolly boot socks x 3 pairs. I wear them with trainers to keep my ankles warm in the cold.

19. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Got my boots back, new soles, new counters, new laces.

Shenanigator likes this.
  20. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Which of course opens up the age old debate of replacing the bottoms, the uppers, the laces... are they still the same boots? do boots have souls?

21. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    The Boots of Theseus!

Hammer likes this.
  22. Hammer

which were no match for the hobnails of Sparta...

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  23. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Well, the Spartans always did see the Athenians as somewhat effeminate.

[​IMG]

Hammer likes this.
  24. Glen Barrington

Glen Barrington Senior Member

Anyone who has worn really well-fitting boots that are broken-in to perfection knows the answer is "yes". Boots issued by the US military come to mind. I kept mine for as long as I could.

I'm less certain about shoes, however.

Iain Aschendale and Hammer like this.
  25. Hammer

That's more like the "boots of (did)Sheseus?"

which brings me quickly towards the great movie

upload_2019-2-18_14-35-13.png

Goodness me, this has turned into a ramble... my apologies. I am having a day off (c: