Things you recently bought or got

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mashers, Sep 6, 2018.

1. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

There's a saying: body glitter is like herpes, one person comes in with it and by the end of the night everyone's going home with it. As a result the one place I used to work had a strict no glitter rule. It was especially bad for business if a patron got home just coated in the stuff and had to convince the wife at home that, no, it didn't happen while they were getting a lap dance from a dude in a strip club.

Cave Troll and Shenanigator like this.
  2. Reece

Reece Senior Member

I can definitely see this. The glitter I put on my eyes has a way of migrating further than I would have ever anticipated it could. Many times it has ended up on the floor. Definitely all over my clothes. I only plan to put this in my hair, because wearing it on my skin would be a bit much for walking the dog or going to the grocery store, which about sums up my social life. Though I might wear it around the house for myself, because I really can't get enough of this shit.

3. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

Necklace for Ylfa, just cos it's Friday. She loves it, but won't wear it to dinner as it would seem "show off-y" to her folks. Bleh.

On my end, a new back scratcher since the last wooden one broke.

4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    :superidea::supergrin:
    glitter-vag.gif

5. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

If you haven't, look up the Zoya Magical Pixie Dust line of nail polish. I have in it in black and in turquoise, and while it's certainly not appropriate for every place or situation, that stuff will make you look and feel like a Unicorn rock star. (ETA: Or, done badly, My Little Pony gone ho.)

6. Reece

Reece Senior Member

Uh oh, you might reignite the lust in me. I own around 1000 bottles of nail polish but haven't been wearing it much lately. If you haven't heard of the brand ILNP, I highly suggest you check them out. They have some mind blowingly pretty stuff. Speaking of which... I think I will paint my nails!

XRD_author and Shenanigator like this.
  7. The Dapper Hooligan

A little flashy for my tastes, but I do really like this one:
    [​IMG]

And this is pretty much a colour match for the Mustang I used to have. Maybe if I added some white racing stripes.

[​IMG]

8. Reece

Reece Senior Member

Ooh I really like the top one! I love the colour shifty ones they have. Birefringence is one of my favourites.

9. Shenanigator

Me too! Sometimes the trick to wearing some of the flashier ones is to treat them like jewelry and follow Cocoa Chanel's rule of taking away something else. (It probably also helps that I keep my nails on the shorter side, rather than long talons.) Also depends on the occasion, of course.

Do it! On one nail, like a pinkie accent nail, it would look especially cool.

That's a great car color (and nail color)!I had a friend who had a Cobra kit car with that paint scheme.
    Me too! I have a purple-teal-grey-green shifting one by OPI that's fun ("Peace, Love, and OPI"). In some light it looks grey-purple, then you move your hand and it catches the light and goes to this:
    [​IMG]

10. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

:superlaugh::superlaugh:

Cave Troll and Shenanigator like this.
  11. Glen Barrington

Glen Barrington Senior Member

The trouble with 'shimmering' is going through Airport security and using facial recognition on your smartphone. Trust me, this is a 'quality of life' issue.

12. Reece

Reece Senior Member

Husband surprised me this morning. Going to have to reaquaint myself with all the Mac commands. Been using the shittiest box with approximately 2 mice running on wheels (though they often sound like they are driving lawnmowers) powering it and a monitor with a cracked bezel, purchased in 2004 with 3 green vertical lines marring the display, so this is very much welcome. I am incredibly pleased.
    [​IMG]

13. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

And beyond the joy of moving out of the computer bronze age, it must be nice to receive such a sincere expression of his support for your writing.

14. Xander17

Xander17 Hermit Archetype Supporter Contributor

Recent eBay purchases, delivery 1-4 weeks:
    - Replaced old smelly and dirty tablet and kbrd soft carry cases.
    - Smaller more efficient car usb power supply.
    - KZ ED9 earbud headphones.
    - 11-42T cassette for treadlie to replace the overkill 50T.
    - While researching Deore upgrades, came across one new but unused Shimano XTR (much higher quality) Rapid Rise long cage rear derailleur (this baby works in the opposite manner, thus both gear changers work the same way, and many folks report far better changing)
    - Shimano XT ultegra chain.
    - 2 x Continental tubes.

Future purchases organised:
    - Chain tester tool for the treadlie.
    - bib bike pants and thermals.
    - Found a $30 SS frypan @ kogan.com.au ($7 postage), high quality, copper insert, $25 cheaper than Scanpan.
    - A bigger much better quality stock pot @ Ikea who deliver to Lonnie, though they have a SS frypan for $40, so I may get those two together.
    - Spotlight in Lonnie to check out a 9L stock pot and do my yearly pillow replacement.
    - Target in Lonnie for 700ml stainless bottles.( cheaper than anything on eBay)
    - Harvey Norman in Lonnie for Breville kettle $29, current one's cutout switch is just starting to play up, not bad for 4 years, though of course nowhere near as good as products a few decades ago that would last for at least a decade.

What I continue to find hilarious are kettles that go for over $100. I've seen some for $200...a fucking hot water kettle...for over $100. There's no point exclaiming, "Has the world gone mad?!" It's more like the world's always been mad ( research how many years of human history without a war going on somewheres as a reference), but it's just gotten worse these last couple of decades.

And these $100-200 kettles, the stainless steel ones, still rust out in under a year, for it depends on the quality of the water, what's in it.

And the most dumbest one I saw this morning...a programmable one. Seriously...how much programming is required to boil water?

15. Reece

Reece Senior Member

I need the weather to cooperate. One of the reasons I wanted a laptop is so I can type outside on the deck. Unfortunately, it's a wee tiny deck that I've already crammed full of plants, so there isn't room for a table. Also, my legs are short and don't touch the ground when I'm on my deck chair, so my lappy starts sliding off. Procured a lap desk this weekend, and I'm ready to roll, only everything is wet because it won't stop raining for more than a couple hours at a time :( *shakes fist* [​IMG]

16. The Dapper Hooligan

Also, when you chair has arm rests and your lap desk is slightly too wide to fit between them, but not wide enough to rest on top of them, so there's a battle between which off kilter is more comfortable at the moment.

I bought a 3 pack of piping nozzles because they were cheap and I only had one large one and I'm pretty sure it was borrowed.

Cave Troll likes this.
  17. Reece

Reece Senior Member

I hadn't taken the arm rests into account... This shit better fit.

18. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Get one of those big umbrellas. An umbrella for the whole table kind of thing.

Also, when I'm outdoors, it seems proper to write by hand, with pen and paper. You might try that.

Shenanigator, Reece and Cave Troll like this.
  19. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Bird on a Wire by Leonard Cohen.

That's the one with Nancy on it, and if you didn't know, all of his named characters are real people. I first heard the song on youtube, and down in the comments there was someone claiming that Nancy had been his aunt.

Shenanigator and Cave Troll like this.
  20. Reece

Reece Senior Member

I have been pondering a giant umbrella actually.

Writing by hand sounds like a good excuse to use my pretty inks. On which note, I want the new Lamy mint green Safari and a coordinating ink. Though I think future me would probably be pretty pissed at past me as she copy types several pages of mint green lettering.

Shenanigator, Cave Troll and Some Guy like this.
  21. Shenanigator

A racoon onesie, vitamins, an astrology book for a friend who wants to learn it, and a movie on Prime.

Reece and Cave Troll like this.
  22. Glen Barrington

Glen Barrington Senior Member

Hearing aids - yep deaf as a post.

23. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

Might be a tad early, but I picked up the parts I'd need to build a crib. Been awhile since Dad an I had a hands on project to work on together, so we'll be throwing in the elbow grease to make it. Might cost a little more than buying one, but building stuff is always fun. For me at least.

24. Cave Troll

But wood is such a good acoustic conductor. :)

25. Cave Troll

:superidea:
    [​IMG]

Some Guy, Moon and Shenanigator like this.