Things you recently bought or got

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mashers, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Mark Burton

Mark Burton Fried Egghead Contributor

I'm the only one in our family not to have had the dreaded swab digging around in the brain through the nose. My son claims he now knows what it must have been like for the ancient Egyptians during embalming when they took the brain out through the nose.

I hope your result is negative.

CerebralEcstasy and Naomasa298 like this.
  2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I had a really bad ear infection about ten years ago and they had to put a little vacuum tube up my nose twice a week for about a month. Fairly sure I felt it thread its way under the corpus callosum.

Mark Burton likes this.
  3. Mark Burton

Yeah, I said to my son he had it easy. Years ago, I had an urgent sphenoidectomy as the optic nerve and carotid artery were impacted by an unusual sphenoid sinus infection. The first time I sat in the doctor's chair, he shoved a 7 inch needle-like probe straight up without any warning. It was a deer in the headlights moment. I kept very quiet and still. I was praying all the time that I didn't sneeze!

4. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Reminds me of the first and only time I had a straight-razor shave. There was a fly in the barber shop, the barber had a, well, razor on my neck, and the damn bug buzzed my eyeball. Never focused so hard on not moving in my life before or since.

5. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Could have been worse. Could have been a catheter.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  6. Martin Beerbom

Martin Beerbom Senior Member

I finally ordered a new one, too, after my current one left me stranded in the night with "no battery" icon (jumping there from 75%...I knew that the battery was at the end, and had the age to be there, but still...) Fortunately, I could finished the current read-in-progress before.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  7. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Well, I fired the new boy up last night, and started browsing through unlimited and various samples. I must have read the opening chapter of 20 different books, and all of them righteously sucked ass. Every genre, wide range of authors, classic and new... nothing, nothing, nothing.

Who do you have to sleep with to get a halfway decent narrative these days? I thought I was reading our "share your first three sentences" thread. Only worse.

8. Naomasa298

Depth perception.

(I had a cataract operation in my other eye today, and can now see out of both)

Mark Burton and Iain Aschendale like this.
  9. Homer Potvin

Nice! You can pour shots into tiny glasses again!

I had an ulcer in my eye once that made it useless for a week or two and I couldn't bartend to save my life.

Naomasa298 likes this.
  10. Martin Beerbom

So, as mentioned, I got a new Kindle. Nice. It now got background light, which I really need these days.

It also got bluetooth, mostly to hook up headphones, and can play audiobooks. Sounds awesome at first, but I found out that it only either plays the audio, or displays the text. You cannot listen to the audio and read along at the same time. Which kinda sucks tremendously.

Mark Burton likes this.
  11. Teladan

Teladan Contributor Contributor

I just now purchased The Wood Beyond the World, Morris, 1894. I'm on a roll regarding archaic/classic fantasy this year. More of Dunsany, and discovered Macdonald, Ashton, Eddison, Holdstock (not quite classic), and Mirrlees...

12. Mark Burton

Congratulations! Having been partially blinded myself recently, I can fully understand your excitement at getting your vision back.

Naomasa298 and Iain Aschendale like this.
  13. Mark Burton

They need a new product line to keep you buying. First it was the addition of a keyboard, then it was backlighting, screen touch, ads to "reduce the price", and no ads versions allowed them to hike the price again. So now it's audio books. The next iteration will be audio books you can read along to followed by a singalong karaoke. Like it or hate it, their marketing department are clearly all singing from the same songsheet.

P. S. My kindle keyboard from 2011 is still hanging on by sticky tape and a prayer. I bought it for a song as a refurbished unit so it wasn't new even back then.

14. Martin Beerbom

Well,...

I did not buy the new Kindle for any of the new features. The old one served me actually quite well and had all I needed, and then some that I did not need... it simply got old. In that the battery wouldn't work anymore for any length of time and would quit at inopportune times, with bad charge indicators. It was old enough to do that (I know how those batteries work, having worked in research of related systems), so I'm not surprised or angry having to buy a new one.

Still, I do appreciate the backlighting ... but I wouldn't have bought a new one just for that.

15. Martin Beerbom

My household is also now almost completely Microsoft free. Our Windows 10 laptop refused to connect to WiFi since some update, and I couldn't figure out why. The settings and service software in Windows 10 for that are a mess, and all online DIYs I could find directed me to change my router settings, but given that my iPad, my Mac and two Kindles continued to work without a hitch, I highly doubted that turning off the encryption or switching the radio bands and channels (which was the recommendation) would actually fix it.

Given what I use the machine for, I went and installed Ubuntu on it. There was nothing of worth on the Windows system, and I didn't even took precautions to go back.

Best decision I made. And the thing now goes online via WiFi as it should.

Mark Burton likes this.
  16. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Interesting, my Kindle Fire HD 10" lasted almost exactly a year. I was using it as a bedside reader, charging when indicated (<40% left) but after a year it started going from 100% to dead brick nothing charge overnight. I tried switching it off (instead of sleep mode) and it would drain even faster, going to brick in an hour or two. It was a gift so I can't complain, but not the lifespan I expected.

17. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    A dark brown corduroy suit.

Yes, a Dark. Brown. Corduroy. Suit!

And a pair of separate beige corduroy trousers.

If I can get my tailor to put elbow patches on it, I'll be the professorest professor EVAH!!!!

18. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

A certain kind of professor at least.

Iain Aschendale and Mark Burton like this.
  19. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I've got a meerschaum pipe too ;)

20. Naomasa298

A checkbook.

I mean, seriously? In 2020? This must be the first account I've had in nearly 15 years where I've had a checkbook.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I think my pet dodo has arrived.

OurJud likes this.
  21. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Finally bought a hot tub this last weekend. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait three to five months for delivery, but it's finally on its way. Absolutely can't wait for a daily unwind massage.

[​IMG]

love to read likes this.
  22. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Who’s your account with, The Bank of Yesteryear?

EFMingo likes this.
  23. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    I got gout. I wish I could return it.

24. Homer Potvin

Eating too many oysters?

Don't have one of those, though I do have a suit that I call "math teacher" because it reminds me of something my dad will wear. Most of my shit is off the zoot suit variety.

Other suit names I have: Country Club, 007, Flamingo, Studio 54, Sadie Hawkins. you get the idea.

I also donated 4 suits as a downscale for my move this weekend.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  25. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

I like my checkbook. Especially for home repairs; piss me off, or do a crappy job... you’re getting paid by check. Auto repairs? Take longer than you told me it would be or go to far over the estimate... you’re getting paid by check.