Things you recently bought or got

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mashers, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Necronox

Necronox Contributor Contributor

Ooh. If you need precision and constant movement and a regular pace, then mousepad is what is needed. Most home users don't need them because they do not need that precision. I'm a *ehem* serious *ehem* gamer and I find that mousepads does a world of difference.

Shenanigator and Mark Burton like this.
  2. Mark Burton

Mark Burton Fried Egghead Contributor

I've also discovered not all mouse pads are made equal. Some of the more expensive ones I've owned are rubbish, some of the cheapest are rubbish too! I've currently got a black gel one that I can rest my wrist on too and that seems to help with the RSI thing too. It's got good precision with the mouse and has a nice feel as well. I think I paid $3 or so on eBay for it.

Shenanigator likes this.
  3. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Don' be disrespecsting my mouse balls!

matwoolf, Cave Troll and Mark Burton like this.
  4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I bought a new cell phone today. Galaxy Note 9. It cost too much, but it beats carrier pigeon. Even beats whole herds of carrier pigeons. My old cell phone grew old and wouldn't hold a charge anymore, and heated itself to alarming temperatures while draining itself. The Best Buy guy said it had water damage. I don't remember dropping it in the ocean, but hey, maybe it wet its pants because it's so old. Maybe the Best Buy guy was lying, or maybe he didn't know what he was talking about. Whatever. New phone, yay.

5. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Nice phone! Ex lady-Hammer has had the note 5 for about four years so they last ok. My last blackberry had a similar battery issue - I looked into changing the battery but discovered that the problem was actually the micro-usb charging lead! It was loose so charging in little bursts and confusing the battery. Runtime went from two minutes to two days...

The water thing is because the manufacturers started to put a "moisture sensitive" sticker in the battery compartment which is triggered by being in, for example, a warm jacket pocket on humid day. I thought they did this simply to void any warranty claims, but it seems that they can use it to sell an expensive new phone too :eek:

6. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Gel wrist rest, huh?

[​IMG]

ETA Wait, I don't remember which way you swing, so to be safe, have this as well:

[​IMG]

Cave Troll, Mark Burton and Some Guy like this.
  7. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I was looking at this one:
    [​IMG]

8. Some Guy

i think we just turn the first two into each other and make mouse pads for everyone!

9. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I knew I was procreating wrong.

Mark Burton likes this.
  10. Some Guy

You might a mis-procreant o_O

Mark Burton likes this.
  11. Mark Burton

Mark Burton Fried Egghead Contributor

No wonder I've got RSI.

12. Veltman

Veltman Active Member

I bought Red Dead Redemption II for Xbox One.

Xander17 and Cave Troll like this.
  13. S A Lee

S A Lee Contributor Contributor

I bought a new fleece for the winter and a sturdy-looking whisk for the kitchen.

14. Nariac

Nariac Contributor Contributor

Sometimes they're useful for laser mice as well, especially if you have a real wood desk that has slight variances in the surface grain that would mess up the pointer.

Some Guy and Cave Troll like this.
  15. Xander17

Xander17 Hermit Archetype Supporter Contributor

˜laughter˜ It's just like the movie, Field of Dreams...build it and they (some folks) will buy it.

Some folks just get all wet when it comes to technology and gadgets. When the seduction circuits fire up, it's "Shutup and take my money!" time.

I knew a bloke that had a glad-wrap dispenser. A huge plastic expernisve one that has a built-in stand. I pointed out that the cardboard container the wrap comes is the dispenser.
    I can't recall how the convo went, but when I looked around his kitchen bench and in the cupboard drawers, I realisied I was dealing with a cultist and therefore felt it prudent to cease discussing the matter.

Granted, some innovations and gadgets are brilliant and do save time and money and make one's experiences better...but a lot of stuff being produced is just a waste of finite resources and you can life a glorious life without them.

Haha, there's this YT channel about innovations.
    Only watched one vid.
    Some dingbat invented...damnit...I can't remember what it was....but it was an invention that replaced the tedious task of manually turning off a kitchen device.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  16. Xander17

I'll get to RDD soon...

Though I have 2 pristine cond PS3s, and bought them solely to play GT5 &6, but Polyphony decided to do a number on this classic game and utterly destroy it's good name, and I'd never buy what they created for PS4.

I was then considering a PS4 that runs two excellent simulation racing games.
    But then though I had so much fun on my PS2 and GT4, that I snagged a pristine cond last version PS2 slimline, still in box and looks like' it's never been used. Then grabbed more pristines...GT 1, 2 & 4. Midnight Run 3 Dub Edition, and a Hello Kitty kids game that just looks like a lot of fun to play.

Then deciding I need to expand my gaming experiences with my PS3 beyond driving simulators, otherwise the console isn't used:
    - Tomb Raider ( the one on the island, played for an hour or so, like it a lot)

- The last of us (not played yet, I like the story and gameplay, according to reviews)

- Fallout 3 (played for a an hour or so, unsure about liking)

- Ratchet and clank tools of destruction (waste of $, just a mess of noise and action compared to R&C series on PS2)

- Far cry 2 (unplayed: used to watch my brother play in on puta, liked the slow meandering gameplay, and one reviewer says you can go through the whole game in stealth sniper style, so yep on that !)

- Dead space 2 (just want to see what it's like, but ffs aiming with a controller will take some time to master as I've been mouse aiming for close to 2 decades)

- Uncharted 3 (Similar to TR, so might like it)

- Need for Speed Shift 2 Unleashed and Grid 2 Unleashed ( lesson learnt, don't go near any arcade racing games, absolute shit compared to racing simulators, never even finished one race in Shift 2)

- Midnight Run Los Angeles Complete Edition ( the only arcade car game (I've tested) that has simulator characteristics, but this PS3 verions should be titled 'Poser Edition', for the game is ruined by the insertion of characters who just wont stfu, and walk around and rant like self-obsorbed posers thinking they're the best driver in the world, including the character assigned to you.

I can enjoy playing it by turning off all dialogue, and you can click to end cut scenes. However, what I can't turn off is that god aweful music that plays in the garages, and I do tend to spend a lot time in their tweaking my rides. I think what RockStar did is inject some god aweful GTA into this game, as this shit wasn't in the PS2 versions.

And finally...Red Dead Redemption 1
    Putting aside I think I cracked my index finger in frustration of getting used to controller aiming and the numerous controls (compared to minimal controls required for driving)

- Jumped myself and horse off a cliff...and died...instead of holting.
    - Also slid down one and both of use died instead of stopping.
    - Accidently shooting citizens.
    - Had a bounty put on me for defending myself against some nut that went berzerk for killing one of his chickens and he wouldn't stop shooting me.
    - Accidently killing hostages, and feeling really really sad and stoopid about that.
    - Accidently shot and killed my own horse. (I don't wanna talk about it)
    - Quickly learnt to never trust the prostitutes (used as damsels in distress bait by bandits) Haha, first one I encountered in a town, strolled up, said hello, and without slowing down, hopped on and stole me horse, and laughed her ass off as she rode away. You can imagine the sad dopey face I had in that incident.

I've been immersing myself in this wonderful game, the frustration daily reduces as I adapt to a completely new type of game. (finger wasn't cracked, just applied way too much pressure and was sore for a few hours)

Getting much better with me guns, thus able to take down a large group of bandits holed up in the abanonded town they had imprisioned the sheriff in. One shot kills with animals, including flying birds.

I like this game a lot because you have a minimalisitc environment, gameplay and music, mixed with some frantic missions. I can spend hours just collecting flowers and skinning animals, or just explore, or go do some more energetic missions.

It so reminds me of the scene in TBBT where Sheldon was having girl troubles with Amy, so he's just walking around in RRD 'cus he wanted to go outside to clear his head and think about things.
    Leonard chats with him about his troubles, Sheldon isn't impressed with the advice and goes to a saloon to drown his sorrows and Leonard admonishes him about how drinking doesn't solve problems.

17. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

My Fallout 76 Power Armored Edition came in... Yay! and after worrying about when it would come, since I didn't even receive a message that it shipped, and news that it would be delayed... but yet here it is. Yay!!!.... I know they said the helmet was to scale but for some reason I wasn't expecting it to be that big. The figures are okay.

Some Guy likes this.
  18. Xander17

Last one for the day.

Though not yet bought, these two items are on my very short wish list.
    This list is currently two items long.

Mentioned before. This old school MTB, in pristine cond, that still might be available when I hit the mainland next year. Can't do a pic link so here's a forum link

If I'm still enthusiastic about my MTB riding, I'll replace my Norco Hardtail with it, which would be mainly used on the road.

Also been looking at FS XC bikes around the $3-5000 mark. Only reason to grab a bike this expensive is if I get more into dirt riding, as that type of suspension is way over-kill for the road, and thus I'd be venturing into poser, 'more money that sense' territory.

Road work is for cardi and stamina exercise, and dirt for muscle and pure enjoyment.
    After many days of searching, this is the one I like the best. Glorious eye-candy and a level of specs that would do me for many years.

Niner Jet 9 RDO

19. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Just bought Chris Isaak's Heart Shaped World. It'll be one of the more recent releases in my collection, but enough time has passed that I don't feel like it's a flavor-of-the-moment impulse buy.

Shenanigator and Cave Troll like this.
  20. VictoriaPrincess

VictoriaPrincess Member

I just bought the complete Harry Potter book collection for my little sister, in paperback form with fancy new covers. Well worth the money! That's a great book series!! :bigsmile:

21. Some Guy

A new keyboard with touchpad, cause I dropped my old one into a coma!

Cave Troll likes this.
  22. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

A new winter hat, a headband ear cover, and a hairbrush.

Hat&Wrap.png

Cave Troll likes this.
  23. storm61

storm61 New Member

Just bought my truck a set of DUB Wheels Directa S133.

[​IMG]

24. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

I've just gotten hold of a 'projector clock' — invariably waking with my back to its predecessor was the um, precursor to its purchase. Now, when insomnia strikes, I'm more efficient in gleaning the severity of its blow. I only have to rotate 90 degrees to be reminded by way of red ceiling digits there's hours of unwanted thinking time till Dawn visits.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  25. hyacinthe

hyacinthe Banned

[​IMG]

This pen with a custom nib grind. I am looking forward to writing with it.