Things you recently bought or got

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mashers, Sep 6, 2018.

1. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I have the first gen version, 2016, I believe. Yeah, I suppose that one does retain the tank-like style of the older iPhones, but the rest are oversized and generic looking. Or maybe I’ve just seen too many in these cases. I don’t like cases.

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

My Covid vaccine. Took me a 24 hours to be able to raise my arm above my head.

Cave Troll likes this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

which type was it ? I had pfizer and it was like... ouch that's a teeny bit sore for a couple of hours

4. Homer Potvin

Pfizer. 1st shot. I'm mandating the day off for all of my crew for the second shot. Been knocking people on their asses. Found one of my line cooks asleep in the dry storage room. Had no idea how she got there.

5. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I've been reading your posts since you got here and this doesn't strike me as unusual for your staff :)

6. Homer Potvin

Haha. Not any more. Thank you, Covid, for allowing me to lay everybody off and only rehire the good ones!

(sadly, the last one to do that drank himself to death a few months later)

Cave Troll and Iain Aschendale like this.
  7. RMBROWN

RMBROWN Senior Member

More bike stuff. One of the best things about planning an adventure is doing the research to find out about the gear you will need. I am training to do a 212 mile bicycle ride in one day this summer. I needed to get some things to hold a dual water bottle, more tools and spares and still be able to carry food and water and spare clothes for the day.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GZ47BPN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CG68NQE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It might be a sign of the times, but biking has gone pretty space age. On my bike, I have a computer that has a gps, it has my routes, it also has segments that other riders have rode and their times. Linked up to Strava I can ride a stretch of road and compare my times to others. The computer also keep track my heart rate, the changes in elevation, my speed, my heart rate, it will tell me if I am getting a phone call and from who. Thanks to what is called power peddles I know the amount of wattage I am producing and at what rpms I am peddling at. It will measure calories burned and store all this info so I can compare my rides to see if I am improving or not. I also have rear facing radar, which tell me if there is a car, or multiple cars behind me. So far this year I have ridden 1300 miles, all in prep for my one day adventure. I have poured over the maps, planned for food and water and rest stops during the 24 hour period.

Buying one more gadget, is one more step towards an adventure, half the fun. The good news is, this is way cheaper than racing motorcycles.

Cave Troll and Xoic like this.
  8. Homer Potvin

Damn, dude. Good luck! It's 196 miles from my house in Providence to my spot in New Hampshire, and I can barely handle the 3 hour car ride.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  9. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Wow, you're like Knightrider, only you have a computerized talking bike! I ride a lot, need to replace my old bike, and my niece recently got me really into electric bikes. But after looking into it, I finally decided I just want a regular bike again, though it's gonna to be a hybrid or a comfort cruiser. I don't like how heavy the e-bikes are, and how long it takes to charge them up. I also think they're theft-bait. I hope you have a good lock or a laser protection system for that HAL 9000 you're riding around on! Sounds like a real blast though honestly. And congrats on being in good enough shape for a ride like that. You're a few years older than me, and I consider myself a rider, but I've never tackled distances like that before.

10. RMBROWN

RMBROWN Senior Member

Xocic, moderation has never been one of my strong points. I have always been excited about learning something new. The technology becomes really important when you push yourself to the limits. Understanding what your doing and how your body reacts is kind of the key to pushing yourself. All of the long distance stuff comes down to planning and fuel for your body. The gadgets help you understand all of the finer points. Do I need it, maybe, maybe not. I don't think I could be in the position to attempt this if I had not really gotten into the science of training. I come from a back ground of doing ultra marathons and Spartan races, so is not really out of the norm for me. I also use the bike to stay in shape, I am a logger and get paid for what I produce so being in top physical shape is important to my lively hood. I am not sure what you do for a living but I have personally found that for my mind to work right I need that physical workout. As for bikes the most universal bike out there that lets you ride the trails or the pavement is what they call either a gravel bike or a cyclone cross bike. The geometry is a little more sit up than a road bike, the bars just a little wider and normally there is some tread on the tires so you still get good grip off road. The E bike thing I am still up in the air about, it is nice to see someone out there riding verses sitting home, I guess different strokes for different folks

Homer, you are not that far from me, I am up-state NY. The ride will be from my place in Montour Falls to just north of Albany.

Attached Files:

Xoic likes this.
  11. Xoic

Oh, the technology's totally cool!

I don't have any need to stay in shape but I do a powerlifter workout plus a few accessory exercises just because I don't want my body to fall apart on me as I go into my 60's. I need to be careful though, I'm not built strong, and I injure fairly easily. Can't lift heavy like I was doing for the last 5 years or so.

You're a logger? Damn, that's some hard work! I had a massive tree fall in my yard a few years back, almost on my house, and I spent a couple of years to get it all cut up and chopped into firewood. I paced myself, no need to do it fast, but I gotta say, that got me in the best shape of my life! I only cut on it on workout days, after a full workout, and I'd stop every half hour or so to go in and eat plenty of protein and carbs to feed the muscles. I was using an electric chainsaw, which aren't as powerful as the gas powered ones, and I had to literally force it through the wood, which meant about 3 to 4 minutes at a time pushing hard until it went all the way through. I called it the all-day deadlift or the all-day pull-up, depending on which way I was cutting. It worked best to alternate when I could or I'd burn out the muscles.

I did look at a couple of gravel bikes, but I ended up ordering this one:
    [​IMG]
    The SixThreeZero EVRYjourney beach cruiser. Damn, I didn't realize it was a beach cruiser until I just now looked up the picture—I thought it was a road cruiser. Hope it's tough enough to ride as hard as I do just about every day. This one looks like it's an electric, mine isn't. What I love about the cruisers and hybrids is the more upright position, less strain on the back, and more comfortable seat, but they're as tough as a mountain bike or damn near. I used to burn through lightweight road bikes in less than a year.

What are those Bar Mitts? Do they stay on the bike and you just pull your hands out? I love riding in the winter. I used to ride to work all the time, rain or snow or whatever, and everybody thought I was nuts, but they don't understand how it works. Your feet never touch the ground, so heat doesn't get sucked out through them, plus you work up plenty of body heat, you don't need a heavy coat or anything, just a couple layers of the right stuff. If you start to get cold, drop into a lower gear and pedal faster, you'll warm up fast. I have a good rain poncho—actually it's called a rain cape, it has thumb loops so the front of it comes forward and covers your legs, and it goes over a backpack. I need to give it a couple coats of waterproofing though, I got wet right through it last time.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    RMBROWN likes this.
  12. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Went to the Asian supermarket over the weekend and got a variety of marinades, noodles, Thai sausages, meat buns, and enough Choco Pies to make me a millionaire in North Korea.

13. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Telemachus Sneezed
    So one choco pie that the entire population can fork over their lives' savings for and share? :)

Cave Troll and Naomasa298 like this.
  14. RMBROWN

RMBROWN Senior Member

Xoic, nice looking bike. It is hard to beat a bike with fenders if your going to use it to commute or use it for practical purposes. Is it an e bike? I can't tell if that is a battery pack on the back or not. Clothing has come a long ways in the last few years, they breath, shed water and still keep you warm. The mitts on the end of the bars are just slip on, they let you still operate the brakes and keep the wind and water off your hands. I also use a boot that goes over my cycle shoes that keep the wind and water off.

I have always worked outdoors, farmer, commercial fisherman, logger. I think I might have the only job, that when I tell someone what I do, the first thing they do is breakout into the Monty Python song, "I'm a lumberjack and I'm Ok." I feel for you on your tree job at your house. Using an electric chainsaw that probably was under powered and dull, 'based on your description of how hard you had to push' I use a saw that is almost a 100 cc and weighs about 35 pounds. While it is heavy I can cut down a tree that is two feet in diameter in just a couple of minutes. I normally cut between 50 to a 100 trees a day, depending on size. I do mostly clear cuts making more fields for growing corn. This year so far I have cleared 34 acres that used to be woods and will be planted in corn this spring. I work by myself so it is pretty peaceful work, dangerous enough to keep you on your toes, there is no day dreaming which is one the things I like about it and I get paid for what I produce not for how long it took me to it.

Have you seen any of the videos of how to fit your bike? Seat height, position forward or back plus tilt all make a huge difference in how comfortable you are and your ability to put power to the peddles. There are some really good YouTube videos on how to set up the bars and seat so that they fit your body, a fraction of an inch or two really makes a difference in comfort and power.

Xoic likes this.
  15. Xoic

That one in the picture looks like an e-bike, but mine isn't. Didn't notice the big battery until after I posted the pic here. Some day I might get an e-bike though, they look like a real blast.

The blade was sharp on my chainsaw, except when I'd accidentally cut through and go into the dirt. That dulls it instantly, I guess there's minerals or gravel or something in it. I had to replace the blade a dozen times or so. But yeah, I really had to force it through the wood. That was cool though—like I say, it got me in the best shape of my life—only time I actually looked muscular.

Thanks, when I assemble it I'll look into videos on how to adjust it properly. I know the basics, I've worked on a lot of bikes, but I don't know the technical stuff and I'm sure there's a lot I never learned.

16. AurumAurora

AurumAurora Member

Next months course books...I'm both excited and not.

Iain Aschendale and Cave Troll like this.
  17. OurJud

A book; A Likely Story, which is (are) the memoirs of my favourite tv writing team, Dick Clement and Ian Le Frenais, responsible for classic tv shows like Porridge, The Likely Lads and Auf Weidersehen, Pet.

18. SlayerC79

SlayerC79 Banned

A Curry.

I know, I know, a Curry isn't that fancy. You have people here talking about Mansions and emeralds and the Lost Ark, etc. But a truly amazing Curry is as elusive as the Loch Ness Monster.

Fine. I didn't buy it. I did buy the ingredients, though, and I did make it. Making a Curry is complex, with all the powders and mixes and sauces. Especially making your own, as I did. It's like a class at Hogwarts.

19. Xoic

Settling in to watch the DVD of Emperor of the North:

20. OurJud

If we’re doing food, mine was a four-piece boneless with a side of coleslaw and sweet-chilli dip. Only the second time I’ve had a KFC.

It was only okay.

21. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Got my second vaccine jab today.

Also bought a wooden spoon to cook scrambled eggs.

Xoic, Cave Troll and Madman like this.
  22. Homer Potvin

Good to have a least three in your arsenal in case one of them is dirty or you're rocking multiple pans.

Xoic, Cave Troll and Naomasa298 like this.
  23. Malum

Malum Offline

Got a Scarlett 2i2 en route. Torturing myself with peripherals prior to building an ATX with silcone being as it is lately...
    roland - Copy.jpeg kbm - Copy.jpeg

AurumAurora likes this.
  24. Alastair Woodcock

Alastair Woodcock Active Member

Smartphone charging cable

25. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    Came across a solid maple vanity with mirror and chest of drawers in thrift shop, made in the '40s. Finish needs some touching up, but I'm just amazed at the quality of the work and the wood. Even inside, where modern manufactures might be tempted to make cuts, these are crafted. I know it's a trite expression, but they don't (at affordable prices anyway) make 'em like they used to. And I kind of have experience with that. Long ago I worked for a furniture store with an upscale clientele; a local hedge-fund-type bought the store and shifted to inferior stuff. Older people would come in to buy, and either walk away in disappointment, or be complaining later that things weren't what they used to be (and they were right). The 90-year-old store went out of business a couple years later.