Things you wish authors would stop doing?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Adam Bolander, Jan 24, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Azuresun

Azuresun Senior Member

There's a quote from one of the codexes from a Chaos Space Marine about how "anyone who laughs at a lasgun has not faced two hundred of them over an open field." :)

Not the Territory and Cave Troll like this.
  2. Shayne

Shayne The Virus Queen

I haven't read much of those but that sounds annoying. I did hear this one where the guy was really sweet to this girl but she was an absolute bitch to him. Like the writer went over the top and felt forced with this female character being strong. She still got that poor guy at the end. Hated it.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  3. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

^^ The thing is though, both are natural to an extent. Guys thirsty for girls and vice versa. It's human nature. One person always wants the other more. This is amplified in the early infatuation stage, but that's the stage I think is usually covered by romances (admittedly I don't know much about romances except for a few movies I've seen). Erotica is definitely more about the infatuation stage (I don't know a lot about that either, aside from... nvrmnd). When you get beyond infatuation you're writing about long term relationships, which doesn't generally make for exciting stuff. I guess a lot of romances do go there.

The only time either gets unhealthy is if it's taken to an extreme, if it goes beyond fantasy or role playing and leads into abusive behavior. Is it really abusive though if a submissive hooks up with a dominant? Tough call. Maybe for some it's the only way they can find happiness, like an addict. In fact it might be an addiction. But addiction is often a symptom, not necessarily a disease in itself. There's no getting over it unless the underlying issues can be addressed. And in some cases they can't, or only to a limited extent. Should those people not be allowed whatever kind of happiness they can find?

But I guess that's not what we're talking about with writing about healthy relationships. I'm just thinking my way through it. And of course we can only write with any authority about what we're familiar with.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    Shayne likes this.
  4. Shayne

Shayne The Virus Queen

I think most of it is just over the top.
    It could be what I'm reading which is my fault but I'm only there for the 'smut' research to make sure my writing game is good.
    It's like what you said the other day, I might be seeing to much of it. I could just be burnt out on that storyline.
    Everybody can write what they want.

I hope this makes sense and sorry for the short response. I'm at a violin rehearsal.

Some Guy and Xoic like this.
  5. Xoic

I wasn't really just addressing that to you. I have a tendency to want to think things through and find both extremes, and then the central balance point so I can understand the whole spectrum. And I like to write it in here as I'm thinking through it. Your posts just got me started.

Some Guy and Shayne like this.
  6. Gravy

Gravy Senior Member

Currently Reading::
    NOTHING! Because who can stand to read and write at the same time?!
    It is so annoying when authors shove romance in every story, even if it’s not needed and makes the story worse. That’s my biggest peeve.

Also, when authors don’t do a fair amount of medical research or research about different poisons. Because Hollywood lies! You don’t fall out of your chair when you drink generic poison. And there is no such thing!

Cephus and Catriona Grace like this.
  7. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Telemachus Sneezed
    Yup, the old days of generics are gone; now it's all store brand poisons.

[​IMG]
    President's Choice, Aldi Select, and my favorite for that final draught, Piggly Wiggly's Simply Done.

upload_2021-8-3_7-20-47.png

They'll take care of that maiden aunt or ex-lover just as quickly as well-known products from Big Apothecary but at a fraction of the price!

8. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Some writers may confuse strong with aggressive.

9. Gravy

Gravy Senior Member

What’s worse is that writers don’t event bother to research ye generic poison. Cyanide is way different than say, Mercury. Ugh! Like, please. Don’t use poison as a hand wave generic death.

Some Guy and Xoic like this.
  10. Xoic

Spoken like someone who really knows their poisons. :cool: o_O

Oscar Leigh and Gravy like this.
  11. Gravy

Gravy Senior Member

Thank you! :) I really love learning about poisons and dare I say I do tend to know a lot about heavy metals as deadly weapons.

Oscar Leigh and Xoic like this.
  12. Gravy

Gravy Senior Member

Also, going to add one more topic to this list. The magic disappearing illness. John is dying, but the author doesn’t want his cancer to hinder the story, so ‘forgets’ that he’s sick by chapter 2. Or, just uses his illness at convenient times.

At least try and make symptoms consistent! I understand if he’s on meds or what not, but don’t forget he’s chronically ill!

I know I am not perfect at this myself when it comes to timing symptoms to show up at believable points in a story, but at least I try!

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  13. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Mrs. A and I watched some of the series Chicago Fire. Character A has a neck injury, chronic pain, and a drug addiction from self-medicating for same. The drug addiction is a constant source of tension between him and a couple other characters. Then he gets a miracle experimental surgery and poof! he's a perfectly healthy, normally functioning member of the team midway through the... second season? Anyway, about where I bailed hard.

Oscar Leigh and Gravy like this.
  14. Gravy

Gravy Senior Member

Hahahahahahahaaa!!! That sounds horrible! I read a book once where a character got shot in the leg in a battle. Two pages later, he’s walking around!

15. Cephus

Cephus Contributor Contributor

Years back, I spent months researching Sarin for a book and got to know everything it could do (and couldn't do) as well as other related toxins. If that didn't get me on a watch list somewhere, something is wrong.

16. Gravy

Gravy Senior Member

Yay, that’s great. I bet google thinks I am writing a murder mystery, too. Would you PM me and tell me all about this Sarin? I am very curious.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  17. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I am soooo tempted by the poison conversation to do an info dump of recent research on Datura and belladonna, but I don't want to poison anyone's mind re: my chosen pastime activities.

18. Xoic

By any chance do you or did you work in the medical professions?

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  19. Gravy

Gravy Senior Member

Yea! Belladonna! I researched hat for my Ancient Rome story. Real nasty. XD

20. Gravy

Gravy Senior Member

Actually, no. I haven’t worked in that area. I really did think of becoming a medical examiner or funeral home director a few years ago. I actually went to school to be a paralegal and just graduated with that degree this year. But thank you! It means a lot that you asked!

Oscar Leigh and Xoic like this.
  21. Cephus

Cephus Contributor Contributor

I needed air dispersion so I could wipe out an entire stadium of people at the Olympics. :)

Gravy likes this.
  22. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Haha... wouldn't need much more than an oscillating standup fan this year with the no crowd thing. That would make for a funny little gag. Supervillain/terrorist organization sees their master plan foiled when no fans are permitted at the Olympics.

Cave Troll and Iain Aschendale like this.
  23. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    And here I was going to suggest cluster munitions :)

24. Shayne

Shayne The Virus Queen

Definitely!:blech:

25. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I'm happily beasting through the James S A Corey Expanse series, which is excellent ...BUT the authors continually twang one of my pet peeves. They use 'reach out/reached out' in just about every instance where two entities are communicating, rather than simply 'contact/contacted'—or some other more specific term, based on the circumstances.

Aaargh.
    "Reach out." It's so banal and trendy, and it carries connotations of offering unlooked-for sympathy, empathy, etc. Whereas, in most instances in the Expanse series, the characters are simply contacting each other to relay ordinary information.

Bad habit. Silly bad habit.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    Oscar Leigh, Mullanphy and Xoic like this.