1. JosephMarch

JosephMarch Active Member

I signed up for a writing workshop--help!

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by JosephMarch, Mar 28, 2015.

So I saw this article in the newspaper about a local writing workshop designed to help you start, finish, and/or market your book.

I signed up and have been very excited about attending, however...
    The workshop instructor emailed with an assignment to come to the first class with a 'pitch' for our book. Who is it geared toward? What is it about, etc. Then we have to share this info during class! Yikes!

I don't necessarily feel ready to share that much of my book yet. It is 'finished' in a loose sense, but I dunno, maybe I am just nervous about presenting it? Maybe I am insecure about other people liking it yet.
    It is really personal to me; I love it. But I don't really want to share it yet!

Do I need to toughen up my skin and just go for it? I guess I don't have a choice at this point.

2. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

You've got to toughen up. A "pitch" is basically what you'd say to an agent you'd like to represent you. It's a quick synopsis of your book and what's special about it. If you want to sell your book, you have to share it. Given that this workshop is supposed to help you start, finish, or market your book, this is a perfect place to share.

jannert likes this.
  3. AASmith

AASmith Senior Member

Admittedly I would be afraid to do this if I have not gotten a draft out or if most of my work was not done. However in your case you do have a draft complete even if its just loosely so. I don't think anyone will make it their MO to shred your work to pieces. This could be a useful experience for you to get feedback on your work. Im sure that the organizers know what agents and publishers are looking for. Have confidence in yourself and what you have accomplished because completing a draft is not easy!

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

If it's a class to "help you start, finish, and/or market your book," your pitch doesn't have to be perfect. So I wouldn't worry too much there. But you might find this thread helpful: Loglines.

5. JosephMarch

Wow, thanks for the loglines link.
    This is tough. I have to write it without making it sound like Romeo and Juliet.

which it isn't, at all...but it is a secret love type of story, only without everyone dying

6. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

You don't necessarily need to have a logline for this. (Loglines seem to get a lot of attention at this site, but I don't think they're a universal requirement by any means).

But you should know who your book is geared toward and who's likely to read it. That's pretty basic marketing.

Do you have a clear genre for your book? If you know the genre, that takes care of a lot of the rest of the issues.

7. JosephMarch

I am learning that I have a LOT to learn!

8. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I just went to one of these recently. Don't sweat it -:) .It was fun and informative. In the workshop I attended they picked three pitches to read aloud and added their advice to help them make them better.

One of the things they wanted was to hear was what the book was about rather than a plot-detail-by-plot-detail synopsis. Three short paragraphs seemed the way to go. One to explain why you chose that agent/publisher. One to explain/describe your book - with word count. And one to describe yourself and your credentials.

9. Gloria Sythe

Gloria Sythe Member

I have been taken on as a client by an agent because he likes my writing style and flow; however, he has suggested that before I send him anymore manuscripts he wants me to sign up for one of "his" Online Writer's Workshops. Is this a normal thing with agents now days or is it a gimmick. I feel uncomfortable with this one.

10. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

That feels gimmicky to me, for sure.

Is he asking you to pay for the workshop? If he thinks he's going to be able to sell your book after the bookshop, then his 15% is his payment for any help he gives you.

Have you checked him out with Preditors and Editors and/or the AW Bewares and Background Checks section? Have you spoken to any of his existing clients to see if he's doing a good job for them? Does he have a good list of sales to major publishers?

There is definitely an industry of people preying on aspiring writers, and if this guy is asking you to pay for something he should be providing for free, then, yeah, I think he's part of the scam industry. Sorry.

EdFromNY likes this.
  11. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I'm with Bayview. This guy sounds like he's pushing a scam. This is less about Workshop and more about slippery-ass dude.

EdFromNY likes this.
  12. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

[​IMG]

But seriously, if you have to give money to anyone to show your manuscript, don't bother. Trust your instincts; if it feels like a gimmick then it probably is.

Mckk likes this.
  13. Tim3232

Tim3232 Active Member

I entered a writing comp a few years back. I didn't win but they were impressed with my writing and offered me a discount on their course which they felt so sure that I would benefit from that if I hadn't earned more in writing than the cost they would refund me. I wrote to them suggesting they allowed me to take the course for free and I would pay the full price when I'd earned that much. They declined my offer.

14. wellthatsnice

wellthatsnice Active Member

This is the same as models being "discovered" and then the agency telling them they need to get official head shots from their in house photographer...tthey only cost $3300 but you'll make that back on the first job.

Sorry, scam.