1. tcol4417

tcol4417 Member

This thread shouldn't last long

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by tcol4417, Oct 27, 2010.

Those of you who have read George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series will know what I'm talking about here.

I just wanted to know how many other books people have read that use multiple - we're talking upwards of ten - different points of view during the story? Just a general idea of whether or not it's a technique that's used often either by Martin or anyone else.

2. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Coupland's Columbine-themed "Hey Nostradamus" tells the same day's events through the eyes of seven or eight different characters if that is what you mean. Pretty good too.

3. tcol4417

tcol4417 Member

Out of curiosity, does every chapter have the character's name or are they named chapters that just let you know who's perspective it's written in?

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Faulkner's As I Lay Dying has multiple viewpoints, and each chapter's heading is the name of the character the POV is in. If I remember correctly, GRRM does the same thing.

5. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

The first option if memory serves. It's interesting how the same day's events are perceived differently by the different characters, who, suffice it to say, play different roles in those events.

6. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

I know R.A. Salvatore uses lots of PoV in lots of his writing. Considering several of his books follow the 6 friends and sometimes he writes from all 6. Though to be fair Guenwhyvar's(sp?) are often very brief. Aside from the main cast, he uses other characters.

I also know that Jodi Picoult also tells her stories from multiple POV. Not nearly as high as 10(though Perfect Match is starting to seem like that) Atleast in the 2 books I finished and the one I started.

Then there is The Stand by Stephen King. Its been awhile since I read the book, but I think this easily reaches past 10 different PoV.

7. Squidget

Squidget New Member

Lord Of the Rings