1. MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown Senior Member

Those Who Criticize Meditating Have It Wrong

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MainerMikeBrown, Nov 9, 2014.

Meditating is a great way for many people to calm down and relax in order to cope with the stress life often brings.

But I don't think it's for everyone, myself included.

However, just because meditation isn't for me doesn't mean that I have anything against it.

But some people I know are too critical regarding meditating. They say that when you're meditating, you're just sitting there. They say that it's boring and counterproductive.

The thing is, although I don't meditate myself, I don't think it's fair for anyone to criticize meditating because it works quite well for so many other people.

2. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Some people try meditating once and think, "oh, meditating isn't for me."

However, just because you think meditation for you doesn't work doesn't mean it doesn't. Meditation is a great way to calm down and relax, and can help you too, if you're willing to put in the effort.

So, if you're giving up on meditation, stop being lazy and give it some more effort. You will not regret it.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Meditating is increasingly alien to today's Nowifnotsooner culture. But there is tremendous value in stepping out of the hypersonic slipstream, and taking time to find yourself again in the stillness. In order to do that, you have to look away from the whirling chaos of daily life for a time.

And yes, the top of a mountain is a wonderful place for such contemplation - there is much stillness there already. But you can find the quiet place anywhere you can spare a few minutes from the world.

Behind a steering wheel would be a poor choice.

123456789 likes this.
  4. 123456789

Many people believe meditation requires hours of time, or that it must be performed at a special place, like a temple or a retreat.

This is a misconception.

There are many types of meditation, making it suitable for almost any type of person. If you're busy and don't think you have the time for a lengthy meditation session, try this.

Next time you're at a light. Take four breaths, each slower than the next. Do this while closing your eyes. Now, repeat to yourself your favorite mantra. It could be something simple, like, "step up," or "you got this." Keep the mantra simple and positive. Stop meditating once the light turns green.

GoldenGhost likes this.
  5. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

It is also another misconception to think that meditation requires one to breathe a certain way or sit a certain amount of time. Meditation is a way of life. A true meditator will be meditating every conscious moment of his or her life, regardless of what he or she is doing. The sitting and breathing are just initiators. Breathing techniques are meant to assist in controlling one's thoughts. It is not to eliminate thoughts but simply to bring order to the chaotic noise in the mind. Once a person has achieved this order, one would naturally no longer need to sit and breather a certain way or recite a mantra.

6. MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown Senior Member

Is meditating for everyone?

Although meditating is great for lots of people, I'm not so sure that types who like to go skydiving are really going to like meditating.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I don't see why not. Being "in the moment" is one thing both activities can have in common.

8. J Faceless

J Faceless Active Member

Meditating is great, just five minutes a day can help immensely. It helps you take it all in, putting things in perspective. People are often surprised when they find out I meditate, but hey it works.

9. Adora Belle

Adora Belle New Member

My mum was someone who always thought meditation was that - 'boring and counterproductive'. She's also rather neurotic, so it probably would have done her some good.

Maybe some people don't need it - they zone out, clear their heads - basically already do something similar only they don't think of it as meditating.

10. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I don't see a relationship between skydiving and meditating or not meditating.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  11. 123456789

Meditation of the highest degree can be performed during skydiving. Intense medication while falling from the sky can achieve total separation of body and mind.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014