Those Who Think Getting Married Is A Bad Idea For Everybody

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MainerMikeBrown, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributor Contributor

"Marriage is a device invented by family practice lawyers to nourish an expensive lifestyle", Me.

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

It's a question of the level of risk...yes, you could end up getting knocked down by a truck as you crossed the street, but the chances of doing that are greatly reduced by NOT texting as you cross...you could end up dying when your car crashed into a motorcycle, but the chances are greater that it would be you who would walk away and the motorcyclist who wouldn't.

Years ago I came across a report that, basically, stated that if:
    1/ You always wore a seat-belt (tick, my choice)
    2/ Always drove at less than 70mph (tick, well a Reliant 3-wheeler isn't renowned for speed)
    3/ Drove a Volvo (Way out of my price range at the time. Well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad...)
    you would walk away from any accident. My point being that we all make choices as to the level of risk that is acceptable (and affordable).

3. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Yeah, which is why it's a good idea to talk through the ground rules before seriously settling down. It depends on the couple, really, how much they're willing to "give in" or compromise. For some reason I don't find potentially dangerous hobbies a problem, but if my husband's favorite past time consisted of picking fights with skinheads, I would have a problem with that.

4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

Absolutely.

Since dangerous hobbies are OK, if picking fights with skinheads is a hobby, I can only assume that your objection to it is moral/ethical/???

5. KaTrian

Yeah, I'm sure you can tell the difference between picking fights and an extreme sport, or even something less extreme, like boxing or motorcycles ;). There is an ethical aspect to it, plus, even if you were morally impaired, it's still against the law, and there're no rules unlike in, say, a muay thai bout, so you can also get stabbed or shot, so yeah, uncool.

6. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributor Contributor

I know many marriages that survice quite nicely where one of the spouses is a climber or mountain bike rider or skydiver etc. Those acitivites seem to have little to do with whether it is a successful marriage anymore than if one them likes bookclubs. It's the give and take, the doing without asking, being selfless attitudes that really make it last. But, alas, even with all the right ingredients at the start, people change, at they fail.

7. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributor Contributor

Working out ground rules is a good idea but if neither of you have had experience living with a partner before, you may find yourselves at a loss, not knowing what works and what doesn't work for you, or what your partner may expect of you. Assumptions often go without saying, when they need to be said.

@KaTrian You want a motorbike really don't you? But perhaps you don't want to do motorcycling on your own, which is understandable. Just take your husband to a motorbike shop to have a look at what they have there. I dare you.

Shadowfax likes this.
  8. KaTrian

It's a bit hard to work out ground rules without communication, and communication usually helps with clearing up assumptions. But even then, even when you've known each other for almost ten years, the making-of-the-ass-of-u-and-me happens.

Now you are assuming. ;)

Though in all seriousness, if I had the money, it'd be awesome to have two bikes. It'd also be awesome to have two horses. And no, I wouldn't want to do either on my own 'cause that's just boring.

T.Trian likes this.