Thoughts on HP Lovecraft and his works?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Oldmanofthemountain, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Definitely! He did call himself an Antiquarian, and he was scrupulous about research and historical accuracy in writing historical tales. He felt he was born a century or so too late. I have a book of letters (called Writers of the Dark I think) between him and Fritz Lieber, who was getting his start shortly before Lovecraft's career ended, and he pushed accuracy and research really hard.

I would say their different subject matter is partly responsible for the differences in tone and wording between HPL and Howard. Or maybe the other way around. I couldn't see Lovecraft writing anything like Conan. I try to imagine it and I see him shuddering at the thought of it instead. He just didn't have the rugged manliness required.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Yeah, totally. Especially his story 'The Reminiscence of Dr. Johnson' which if you get the joke is really funny. His stories set in Ancient Greece and Rome are also pretty fun, you can really tell the guy knew Latin and had read a lot of it. And, you know, Latinists have to stick together. :D

Xoic likes this.
  3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Here you go @Friedrich Kugelschreiber ! One coin and pseudo selfie:

lovecraft_freddy.jpg

Sorry, dude. I didn't see your post earlier. I'll get you next time! Hadn't been there in years, and it just so happens we were looking for a place to go walking today. The grave couldn't be more nondescript... probably wouldn't have found it if there wasn't another couple already there. The cemetery is gorgeous (and enormous) though, so we'll add it into our repertoire.

4. Xoic

Don't worry about it. I had a feeling you had missed it when I saw your Like under Friedrich's post but not mine. I should have Liked your original post—I think that's why you saw his but not mine. I'll just consider that quarter a collective offering for both of us, plus anyone else who wants in retroactively. :superagree:

Homer Potvin likes this.
  5. Xoic

Do you read Latin? It wouldn't surprise me, considering you're quite the scholar.

6. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I suppose that's true. But I don't find Lovecraft that bad. I know it's not modernly elegant, but I think it fully fits in its time. I know Poe was from much earlier, but with Poe being the horror king of Baltimore, they get compared a lot.

I will say though, as a negative, Lovecraft was a proponent of "demonstrate your vast vocabulary." He considered it a mark of skill and recommended amateurs try it. You won't find that in any writing book. I guess times change. heh!

EFMingo likes this.
  7. Lemex

Yeah, the quote in my signature is one of the bits I really like. Virgil can be a bit wordy himself, and very descriptive, Catullus is more my jam when I just want to read something. But yeah, Virgil, he's awesome. :D

Xoic likes this.
  8. Lemex

Lovecraft loved Poe and intentionally copied him and his style, and yeah they do get compared a lot. You weren't exactly wrong, 'contemporaries' in the sense of his place in the horror genre you are totally right. Whenever I see contemporaries it is usually about time, though. :)

And yeah, ha. He was a lover of words like 'gibbous' and 'bacitracin'. :p

Seven Crowns likes this.
  9. Xoic

Without him I don't think I would have ever heard of Gibbering. Though I don't think that's quite what you were referring to. I often try to imagine exactly what gibbering consists of. I picture apelike creatures, or humans reduced by excessive horror to an apelike mental capacity, waving their arms above their heads with loose dangling hands and making some kind of sounds, a sort of gibberish I suppose. Probably under a gibbous moon (whatever that is).

And I just realized, gibbering means the same thing as speaking gibberish. I had never made the connection before. I don't know how I can be so stupid sometimes. :crazy: <—(gibbering smiley)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    Rizona, Lemex and Seven Crowns like this.
  10. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

Thanks for the photo, I'll treasure it always.

ohmiyoni, Homer Potvin and Xoic like this.
  11. Xoic

There's something so cool about seeing Mark Twain @ Lovecraft's grave...